PDA

View Full Version : New Shop setup

a2lute
03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Well I just bought a house:), so I get to setup the garage as my first shop:cool2:. It is an attached garage 20'x22.5'. Not the biggest but more than enough for me. I will have to run a 220 sub panel to it and probably natural gas for heat as well. I sketched up a quick layout of how I might set it up, I'm still working on it. If you have any cool storage ideas or think i missed something let me know.

7A749
03-11-2016, 12:17 PM
If you want help running the electrical let me know

I'm glad you ended up getting a place. I know you were talking about it when you came up a month ago

DC_Diego
03-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Great.

Its always nice to have a space at home for work!!!

Maybe you should think on a welding kart for weld around and ouside the garage :)

Good luck with that and keep us updated with it ;)

Cheers

blueriver
03-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Congrats!!

steve45
03-11-2016, 11:57 PM
One change you might consider, IF it's feasible: move the compressor outside. Compressors get annoyingly loud. Of course, if you move it outside, you'll want to protect it from the elements as well as theft. If you set up an automatic drain, water could freeze in it during the Michigan winter.

bigb
03-12-2016, 12:09 AM
I built storage racks out of 2" channel and expanded metal that are only 7" tall and 8X8' wide, bolted to the ceiling above where the overhead door opens. Makes good use of that wasted space. I store all my lumber up there (dimensional on one half and sheets on the other). I built it after I got fed up with lumber leaning up everywhere getting in my way. You could store steel up there too but I already have a big steel dry storage area under an unused side porch.

tinker001
03-12-2016, 05:37 AM
If you need help I'm just over in the Whitmore Lake area . Just west of you. I would suggest having your welding table movable not mounted. Because there will be a time that you would like to have access from all the way around the table.

psacustomcreations
03-12-2016, 08:14 AM
I built storage racks out of 2" channel and expanded metal that are only 7" tall and 8X8' wide, bolted to the ceiling above where the overhead door opens. Makes good use of that wasted space. I store all my lumber up there (dimensional on one half and sheets on the other). I built it after I got fed up with lumber leaning up everywhere getting in my way. You could store steel up there too but I already have a big steel dry storage area under an unused side porch.

Can you show some pics of your ceiling mounted storage racks? I would like to do something like that in my shop and am trying to find some ideas.

bigb
03-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Can you show some pics of your ceiling mounted storage racks? I would like to do something like that in my shop and am trying to find some ideas.

I'll snap some today

bigb
03-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Here's the pics. The channel spans the 8 foot width and in the center of each piece of channel I drilled a hole then welded a piece of all thread to a small piece of plate which is bolted to the ceiling and there is a nut on the end to support the cross pieces in the middle. I made it slightly wider than 8 feet to allow room for the all thread and still have room for 4' sheets on either side.

The channel was drilled and bolted to a piece of angle on either side which is lag screwed into the joists. I think I could pull an engine from it, it ain't coming down. I got the idea from a cheap, flimsy store bought one I saw in a clients garage.

psacustomcreations
03-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks. I want to do the same but since I have a 10 foot ceiling on my lower side I need to figure out a pulley and hoist mechanism.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bigb
03-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks. I want to do the same but since I have a 10 foot ceiling on my lower side I need to figure out a pulley and hoist mechanism.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My ceiling is 12 feet sloping to 11. I just use a step ladder to access stuff.

a2lute
03-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Thanks Steve, I might take you up on that, depends on how bad the path from the main panel to the garage ends up. :/

BigB, I like the ceiling idea, I don't think I can store steel up there without putting too much strain on the garage structure, but I will definitely keep lumber up there.

Diego, As for a movable welding cart, I was thinking about buying one of the $500 P.O.S. F250's in the area and putting my toolboxes and a flatbed on it. That way I could pull it out to get as much space as I needed and if wasn't a total wreck I could take it out to my friends places when they occasionally call me for help on stuff.

Tinker, How do you put casters on the table that will keep it nice and still when working/beating on it? What kind of casters can take the beating?

Steve45, I could sneak the compressor outside...I'd just need to put a little pad and shed right behind the garage and hide it with evergreen shrubs :)

7A749
03-14-2016, 08:43 AM

That's a great idea. My ceilings are super low, but I could see it used in a lot of other applications.

Excellent!

Robert Hall
03-14-2016, 04:27 PM
I had those on my ceiling but the better half had an opinion on it.... So now I have the attic I built out with a lot more space and a nice set of retracting stairs and a dumb waiter to move stuff up and down.

Otherwise, yes, those look awesome. :)

tinker001
03-18-2016, 06:10 AM
You install leveling feet on it and raise the casters off the floor.

a2lute
03-21-2016, 08:22 AM
Well dang, I didn't think of that...1380041

That's where I'm at now. I think an overhead I beam crane would be nice if I could fit it in the garage. Sure would make engine swaps easier!

BD1
03-21-2016, 11:11 AM
How high are the walls ? As for a overhead beam, ONCE you have one you will not believe how you did without . Depending on door height , you could use swivel floor mount jib crane. WALLACE has some great info. http://www.wallacecranes.com/jibfloor.htm

At only a 20' span no problem having a overhead hoist. A couple of 4'' schedule 40 upright columns would be fine. Monitor craigs list for used beam.

bigb
03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Your drawing is way out of whack. The section for lawn and garden crap is way too big.

BD1
03-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Your drawing is way out of whack. The section for lawn and garden crap is way too big.

Yes, not only that but it should be on the OUTSIDE. :laugh::laugh:

a2lute
03-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Sorry, but I can't stand rusty tools or a soggy tractor seat :D

tinker001
03-22-2016, 11:12 PM
That's where the outside storage barn is for. That little shed out back..... LOL:rolleyes: