PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have info on this old beast?

dozer
07-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Does anyone have a schematic (wiring diagram) for this old beast of a Hobart?

(pic attached)

I was told it was WW2 Navy vintage. Engine is a Chrysler Industrial 6-cyl flathead. Nameplate is pretty worn; but it -looks- like it says 300 amps; and this number: "DW14457". Can't read anything else on it.

Still welds like a champ! :)

But the auto-idle assy run by the solenoid has fallen apart from age; and some of the light-gauge control wires behind the switch look real iffy...and I'd like to fix that stuff. Would also be interested in possibly reworking the aux-gen portion to put out AC. Rainy-day kind of project, for sure... :laugh:

Plus, I'm just kinda nutty about having complete schematics for anything I own... :p

If anyone knows the right model# for it; or even has the manual and could copy/mail schematics, that'd be great.

Richard

ps; hmmm...there isn't any field for 'browse' under "attach files" ?? :confused: Maybe it'll show up in 'edit' after I post...

littlefuzz
07-31-2006, 04:43 AM
Looks kinda like one I got in the barn. Mine will run but not weld. The generator part works. I just ain't fooled since I bought my new one. I'm sure someone on here can help ya, I ain't got a clue. Will it run?

Diverbill45
07-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Richard, ......... Check out Hobart's web site and see if you can get the information you're looking for.

I did this, on Lincolns web site, when I purchased an older Lincoln SA200 years ago and got all the information I needed.

Another thing, I'd suggest, is take the model # into the local welding supply store that deals with Hobart products and see if they can get you what you need.

Hope this helps.:)

Before I forget, welcome to the site. I live north of you around the Albany area. Was through the GP area a few weeks ago, heading south to LA to visit my son for a week. Glad to be back home and away from all that traffic.

dozer
07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
howdy Fuzz,

Like I said, it welds great...i.e. it runs.

On yours, check the main brushes on the back end.

Mine wouldn't weld when I got it; and it was just the brushes 'hung up' in the holders from sitting so long. A little back-and-forth to loosen 'em, and it's been welding ever since.

Hmmm....now that I think of it, I later had a problem with the polarity switch too. On mine, it looks like a breaker. Luckily, those old switches were -screwed- together, not riveted! I was able to take the switch apart and fix it.

Diver, I don't -have- a model# !

Can't read anything on the plate. I'll go to the Hobart site and email 'em the pic and that "DWxxxx" number tho, and see if they have a miracle worker there...

DDA52
07-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Hobart may not have the info since the break up. They passed all the big stuff to Thermal. They might have the info if Hobart doesn't.