PDA

View Full Version : Welding trailer build

SGTGunner
05-08-2016, 10:54 PM
I recently picked up this military surplus trailer from a guy locally. I plan to build it into a welding trailer. This project will be a slow one most likely. This will be my first one so I'd love to get yalls ideas, suggestions, experiences and input as much as possible.

When I saw the add I thought this was an M1101 or M1102, but once I saw it in person I realized it's quite a bit larger. There are no data plates on it so I'm unsure of the exact model, weight or rating. It's got a beefy diamond shaped axle with the HMMWV wheels/tires, manual tension brakes, hydraulic emergency brakes, aluminum frame and a cut up wiring harness.

My first steps are to redo all the wiring and lights with 12v components (there's a ghettofied temp wire harness on there now) tucked away nice and clean. Then I can get it inspected and registered.

Then I'll do some measuring to see exactly where and how I want to mount my bobcat 225. Then I'll make brackets that will saddle and "clamp" to the frame cross members. I plan to deck it with what ever size plate I can find for a reasonable price and mount the welder. I'd also like to mount tool boxes, oxy- acetylene bottles, and create a "work bench" at the rear of the trailer with a vice, pipe channel and who knows what else.

I hope to keep cost (and weight) down as much as possible while keeping it safe and legal. I'll be pulling this with my F-150 until I can get a larger flatbed truck. At which point I would convert this trailer into an expedition type camping trailer. (Which is why I decided not to rebuild the frame with steel)

It will take some work sure, but I think it will be fun. I'd like to hear your opinions and thoughts.

Brazin
05-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Looks like there are zero welds on that old aluminum. Don't put the first weld on there. If it needs any repairs I'd just scrap it, aluminum ages poorly.

outdoort
05-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Almost thought this was my thread thats titled almost the same. I have the same sort of thing in mind with the trailer im currently building. Its off road style and im keeping the build in line with the idea that ill eventually buy a nice welding truck and then have a nice trailer i can do whatever with. Would love to build a expedition/offroad teardrop for the camping.

Personally, id sell the thing and build ur trailer from the ground up. Id feel like ur going to need to put a lot of time into that thing cleaning it up and such, u might have a nice new steel frame already built by then.
I also dont really see a problem welding aluminum diamond plate to that frame if thats what u decide to do.

Brazin
05-09-2016, 09:39 AM
...Except for the %40 loss of strength.

SGTGunner
05-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Well I paid $400 for the whole thing, worse comes to worse I'd rather keep and reuse the axle, wheels, fenders and pintle.

No, there are no welds on the frame, cheaper to build and easier to repair for the average motor pool wrench turner. I wouldn't be welding anything to the frame anyway. I started thinking about it and if I decked it with steel plate and used it as a work surface I don't think the frame would take the heat very well and cause problems. I think I'll either re use the axle wheels fenders and pintle and rebuild the rest from steel or go ahead and start the expedition trailer build with it.

Luckily everything seems to be in pretty good condition, just peeling paint, road grime and a little surface rust on the jack.

MarkBall2
05-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Put a wood deck on it. Then you don't have to worry about dissimilar metal corrosion.

2x6 Pressure Treated planks.

wornoutoldwelder
05-10-2016, 11:38 AM
I don't myself see anything about that trailer I would want to save. It is what it is and works very well for what it was designed for.

But NOT designed to be easily or cheaply adapted to general sillyvillian use. I am afraid you might have bad expensive time obtaining simple stuff like bearings and seals. Brake parts too.

Not the best platform for a working guy to put on the road and depend on day to day to make a living....But it does have "cool factor" because it is military stuff...But that is just me.

outdoort
05-18-2016, 07:33 PM
I don't myself see anything about that trailer I would want to save. It is what it is and works very well for what it was designed for.

But NOT designed to be easily or cheaply adapted to general sillyvillian use. I am afraid you might have bad expensive time obtaining simple stuff like bearings and seals. Brake parts too.

Not the best platform for a working guy to put on the road and depend on day to day to make a living....But it does have "cool factor" because it is military stuff...But that is just me.
Ya totally agree here. Just go buy a complete dexter axle with brakes for around 400. Electric brakes are way better than surge brakes when were talking a offroad trailer.
Build and restore the trailer or sell it and start from scratch.