PDA

View Full Version : Welding goggles on headgear

jpump5
06-27-2016, 11:04 AM
I recently saw picture of Fibre Metal welding goggles on welding
helmet-type headgear. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them
and if they're easier to use than elastic headband.

Rog02
06-27-2016, 11:19 AM
I have used them for decades. My current set is from Kent White with the high dollar lens. (I gas weld a lot)

I hate elastic bands. The head gear lets you accurately position the lense where you want it and stays put even when hanging head down for that PIA weld way down at the bottom of a panel. Another advantage now that I am a card carrying member of the "Old Geezer Society" is that they fit over my glasses nicely and are easy on and off without ripping my glasses off my face with them.

thegary
06-27-2016, 12:14 PM
I always use a #3 or #5 tinted face shield. It gives me more protection when cutting and I can wear my glasses. I started using them when my boses always made me be the one to cut the frozen nuts off the studs on turbines. I learned to wear the face shield and a leather jacket. Since then I use it all the time for any gas welding, brazing or cutting. I could see where they could be a problem in a real tight space but for everyday stuff they can't be beat. A side benefit is that they do not fog up near as easy as goggles .

Machine_Punk
06-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Yup...they are my favorite for gas welding, because they fit over glasses easily.

I've found vintage sets on eBay. The sets sold by Kent White (TM Technologies) are reasonably priced and work well.

I prefer the 'metal spring cover' version, over the 'plastic spring cover' version (the telescoping tubes which act as the 'temples' of this type of goggle).

I also have the TM 2000 lens from Kent. Not much need for normal welding but if you are using flux of any sort, they cut through the orange glare like magic.

KDub

docwelder
06-28-2016, 04:41 AM
i believe it was called sologoggle. i had one many years ago till i lent it out and never saw it again. iirc it was a good piece of equipment. i now use a tinted face shield and never ever lend it out.

jpump5
06-28-2016, 05:38 AM
I use tinted shield at work for heating. It's a little too light for
welding/brazing.(don't know what number).i could get a darker
one .
I was thinking of buying the Solo-goggle type (members seem to like
It)but shield might make more sense.

Bonzoo
06-28-2016, 06:52 AM
i believe it was called sologoggle. i had one many years ago till i lent it out and never saw it again. iirc it was a good piece of equipment. i now use a tinted face shield and never ever lend it out.
1.7 seconds. Likea dees one ?
http://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Eye_and_Face_Protection/Fibre-Metal_Sologoggle.aspx?site=/usa