PDA

View Full Version : Pit cart - tool box

metalman21
07-24-2016, 08:49 PM
I dug this out of storage today, going to use it for additional tool storage. I originally built it when my son was younger and we raced mini-cup cars at Seekonk Speedway in MA. Has a bank of drawers, a bulk storage area and a built in nitrogen tank air system. Rolls on quarter midget tires, hubs and rims. The tiller has steering with caster, adjustable camber and ackerman built into the steering. It's 42" high X 66" long X 30" deep. That's 13.75 Sq. ft. of horizontal surface on the top and I already know what will happen to that :rolleyes:.

mikecwik
07-24-2016, 08:53 PM
That looks really nice.

metalman21
07-26-2016, 10:49 AM
That looks really nice.
Thank you.
I don't really need the nitrogen but I decided to put a fresh tank in and make it work. At the least I'll use it to test tanks for leaks and at 2 or 3 psi should last the rest of my life :laugh:.
Here is the built in regulator and desiccant can.
Access to the valve is easy.

N2 Welding
07-26-2016, 11:42 AM
That's Awesome I like it a lot.

gxbxc
07-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Take it to the salt flats and knock the valve off, I'll bet it will do a land speed record for tool boxes.

whtbaron
07-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Or you could swap it out for a bottle of nitrous and a facemask. When you hit your finger with the BFH, you can whiff the gas till u quit crying.

OPUS FERRO
07-26-2016, 10:23 PM
metalman21 (http://weldingweb.com/member.php?602941-metalman21)

I could use a half/dozen of those. If you will build them - I will send you my
color preferences.

Definitely going in my 'good idea' file . . .

The tiller has steering with caster, adjustable
camber, and ackerman built into the steering.

Your caster and camber adjustability is purely an academic and professional
inclusion; but, Ackerman [arm] knowledge has practical application for many
WW Forum builders - who may be unaware - of an easy, and safe refinement.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ackerman+steering&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I recently worked on one of these after a towing accident.

http://cyclepub.com/buy-a-cycle-pub/

It occurred in a tight corner [Rt. lane to Rt. lane]. The steering recoil: threw a
250 lb. buff/stud to the floor, gushed blood, then plunged its Rt. fender under
a Honda, elevating its Lf. rear tire off of the pavement.

Bad sitch - got to go . . .

While on stands in my shop, I asked a race builder bud to diagnose the grossly
misaligned front-end. He chided 'indeed' the wheels are misaligned - but the
real problem - is the Ackerman Arms are parallel !

This is why tight cornering sent such a shock through the steering linkage.

Just passing on sage info.

Again, M-21 kudos on the tool bus . . .

Opus

metalman21
07-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Take it to the salt flats and knock the valve off, I'll bet it will do a land speed record for tool boxes.
One tank wouldn't cut it. If I gut it out it may fit another 6-7 tanks but then the weight would be increased....have to do some ciphering.

metalman21
07-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Or you could swap it out for a bottle of nitrous and a facemask. When you hit your finger with the BFH, you can whiff the gas till u quit crying.
If that really works, I'm in.

metalman21
07-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Opus: You would get a quantity discount but you would not like the bill. The Ackerman is a simple offset of the steering arms, the cart turns tight and is very maneuverable. Too bad those cycle people missed that.

7A749
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
That is awesome!!!

7A749
07-27-2016, 12:59 PM
If that really works, I'm in.

It does. Trust me on that lol :laugh:

whtbaron
07-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Uh huh... dentists called it laughing gas for years. Back in the 70's when rules were a little more lax, the dental nurses had the best parties on campus.

DC_Diego
07-28-2016, 12:31 AM
great job man, it looks awesome!!!

Cheers

metalman21
07-28-2016, 07:51 PM
great job man, it looks awesome!!!

Cheers
Thanks DC. I got to ask, how did you get to setting up shop in Chile from Canada? I only made it about 5 miles from where I was born, (New Haven, CT). Not that I like it here.

DC_Diego
07-31-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks DC. I got to ask, how did you get to setting up shop in Chile from Canada? I only made it about 5 miles from where I was born, (New Haven, CT). Not that I like it here.

I moved here with my parent a long time ago, I´ve beed working on crushing plants and mines here in Chile, I came back to Canada to works a few years ago, but I have a kid here in Chile and I love the weather here. I can weld all day long and then just chill on the beach. I live like 5 minutes from the beach, Good weather almost all year long. Cheap beer, good food. Sometimes I miss Canada, but not miss the winter very much!!

I like to travel a lot, but I think I´m gonna be here for a long time, at least until my little princess gets older

Gustav129
07-31-2016, 08:51 PM
If it's that nice, how hard is it to get a Visa?

As for the Pit cart, working in Spec E46's and traveling, the one thing that is a must for a pit cart is brakes. The pit carts we had were standard bicycle disc brakes, with the lever on the handle. Unloading these things out of a trailer can be scary without them.