PDA

View Full Version : 79 Bluestar 2e not charging battery

dklew
08-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Any thoughts? It seems like if the motor runs, it should charge. like a riding mower if the mag is putting out enough to spark it should put out. I have 12.4 v on the batt. and 12.07 v when running?

DDA52
08-30-2006, 12:43 AM
How old is the battery? Could it be toast? My 2E used to eat batteries at least once a year. It seemed to cook them in the summer more than any time. They don't like the heat it seems.:rolleyes:

They don't weld without a charged battery or at least a good one. I used to carry a batt charger with me all the time when I was limping on a bad batt. When the arc started getting weird, slap a charger on it and all will be right again. I even plugged it in the power while welding plug...still worked.:cool: :p

dklew
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
New battery, I can't plug a charger in while welding in the field. I need to fix the voltage drop.

weldersales
09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
If your battery voltage goes down when running, the battery is not being charged. Your engine is a Tecumseh 16 hp, I believe. It has a charging stator under the flywheel and a voltage regulator bolted on the metal engine shroud. Probably one of these is the problem. They are readily available.

bluestar2e
09-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Thank you weldersales
I will be out of town for a week but I will let you know what I find.

bluestar2e
10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
weldersales
I checked and have AC voltage from the stator
Can the regulator be tested?

leeschaumberg
11-04-2006, 09:24 PM
12.4 volts at rest and 12.07 running tells me its not charging! A12 volt battery will go to about 14.5 volts with the engine running and charging. If the battery is on the welder a long time it will be shot. So you need a new battery and fix the reason for no charging! Generaly all electrical items for the item are not exchangable. Use a meter (a small volt and ohm meter) to check the regulator,the stator and any thing else. That way you will know what is wrong first.
Lee

leeschaumberg
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
12.4 volts at rest and 12.07 running tells me its not charging! A12 volt battery will go to about 14.5 volts with the engine running and charging. If the battery is on the welder a long time it will be shot. So you need a new battery and fix the reason for no charging!

drivesector
11-05-2006, 08:33 PM
12.4 volts at rest and 12.07 running tells me its not charging! A12 volt battery will go to about 14.5 volts with the engine running and charging. If the battery is on the welder a long time it will be shot. So you need a new battery and fix the reason for no charging!

Um mmm, I believe that weldersales has already stated that the battery is not being charged. And I would like to know why you are telling this guy to buy a battery if it is a charging problem? If he is getting the correct charging voltage after replacing (The alternator) (because it is not charging) Than yea it is time to buy a battery. But if the charging system is not charging and you are telling him to buy a battery just because, it seems like you are just having him waste money if the problem is a alternator. Put a meter on the batt leads and when you start whatever it is up the voltage should go up. If the voltage goes up and you are still loosing power IE (Not starting) then you may have a bad battery. weldersales has been correct in giving advise in what direction to go in fixing the problem asked about. I am kind of confused in what direction leeschaumberg is going. Is it the Replace everything direction? Crap (Fire the parts SHOTGUN at it) Keep shooting until it works. Maybe I'm being a dick. (yea I probably am) But I keep seeing posts when people ask questions and the question has been answered but people keep throwing new questions at the person asking the question confusing the SH** out of the person asking the original question.

bluestar2e
11-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I need a voltage regulator for a:

OH160
Model 170096A
It has a stator not the starter generator

Can someone tell me the correct Tecumseh part number
(I think its is 601907A )
what is the Kohler part number?

If not the correct part one is there something else
that will work.

Anyone have one for sale?

Sober_Pollock
11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm confused.....

Did "dklew" change his name to "bluestar2e".....

Or are these two different people.....

bluestar2e
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
These are two different people

Can you help?

Birken Vogt
11-15-2006, 04:51 PM
These are two different people

Can you help?

Start your own thread, don't steal someone else's.

Birken

bluestar2e
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Birken:
Two people same welder.
Can you help?

I need a voltage regulator for a:

OH160
Model 170096A

that will work.

Anyone have one for sale?

slamdvw
11-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Not one for sale, but you *might* try your local Miller dealer. Or a small engine rebuild place ( some rental stores qualify )... Might get lucky.

Get the serial Number off the machine, and go to www.millerwelds.com > support > owners manuals. Get a manual.

On some of their older stuff, they actually listed part numbers in the schematics. Might just get lucky there.

weldersales
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
If you have a 2E, you have a Tecumseh OH160 engine. Send PM and we will get you all info on regulator. Shame Tecumseh stopped building this engine - worked extremely well over the years for a splash lubricated engine. We still have many running every day. Last time I checked there were several short blocks still in distributors' stock.
We can get you the info for the Kohler if you desire, but the '2' means Tecumseh and 'E' means electric start. The original Blue Star 1 and 1E had the Kohler- K341 16 hp.

bluestar2e
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Thank you weldersales

What I am looking for is the correct part number
I would like to find substitute for less than $139.00 or at least
know I am getting the correct one.

Anyone have a used one for sale?

OH160
Model 170096A

that will work.

Anyone have a one for sale?

weldersales
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I believe it is 610996. Get you one for 75.00. weldersales

rookie
12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
If its just a 12 volt regulator,I would take it off and go to auto parts store.I have a K341,put points in it a while back bought them at napa.