PDA

View Full Version : Jackson TrueSight II Review

burn-n-learn
09-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Not really a review, but a few of my opinions after using my new helmet for two days.

Weight- if you are welding a lot everyday this helmet is probably to heavy for you, but i like it for welding a few days a week as the weight makes it feel more firmly planted on my head

HeadGear- found it very comfortable, I'm sure most $300+ helmets are just as comfortable. The top over the head adjustment doesn't snap together like my last helmet that made a click noise when pulling them apart or putting together like a ball cap. So we will see if i have any issues with it not staying together after more abuse, but was really displeased there wasn't a strong positive engagement.

Side tilt knobs- I don't flip my hood down using inertia, i manually pull it down so i don't hit my head on something around the area i could be welding in. Stays in place with the turn of a knob. After a few up and down cycles the knobs do turn by themselves and the left one loosens up to the point of taking 2-3 turns to readjust it back tighter after tilting the hood up and down 15 times maybe. So if you want a hood you can tilt up, then flip down with your head constantly, this is not the hood for you.

Flashing- I was welding under a structure today, nothing very tricky. In one day I was flashed 4-5 times when i could clearly see the arc in my line of vision. Not sure why I was getting flashed then? Maybe i need to crank up sensitivity even more.

Controls-I do like the internal controls, big buttons easy to push with gloves on.

Front Clear Lense Protector- I have a major complaint here. Since the sense is recessed, it uses a gasket to seal against the helmet. I had several hot pieces land there and begin smoking. Twice it caught the gasket on fire while i was wearing it! Which smoked inside an outside of the helmet. So I'm sure the hood has some nice burn holes there that will cause the sense to quit sealing after more weld time.

Balder Tech- I do like the blue, it helps me see better than the traditional sense. I do have blue eyes, and everyones eyes are different. But i will find it hard to go back to another sense after this.

HughF
09-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We can't get this helmet here in the UK but I'm in San Diego early next year and hope to pick up one for myself if I can find an LWS who has one on the shelf. I have heard good things about it and also like the blue tint.

farmersamm
09-22-2016, 05:07 AM
I have both the original Yellow Pass True Sight (filter passes the yellow light band), and the new Green True Sight. Looks like it's green light to me anyways.

The yellow pass is good for wire welding. Very bright, good optics. Bothers my eyes though.

Newer model is easier on the eyes.

Switch time is poor on both models, compared to the Viking. This can cause issues when doing a lot arc strikes during the day.

I personally don't believe ANY of the AD hoods are all that safe. You're getting flashed every time you light up. Might just be milliseconds, but it's flash all the same.

If you're welding in low light. Inside a shop, at dusk, or at night...............turn up the sensitivity.

I have burnt up a few gaskets, and marred the actual filter face, due to the stupid cover plate design.

Why I gots 2 of these?? Long story........warranty exchange, need for another hood immediately, smokin' hot deal on replacement hood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Like most welding stuff, they're overpriced. Come from China, and probably set Kimberly Clark back about $40 bucks a pop delivered at the port.

Mr. Smith
09-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We can't get this helmet here in the UK but I'm in San Diego early next year and hope to pick up one for myself if I can find an LWS who has one on the shelf. I have heard good things about it and also like the blue tint.

You have an equivalent helmet available domestically to you:

http://ukwelder.com/shop2/shop_index.php?page=balder_bh3_d8602

Ironically, that helmet isn't available in the US, so I had to order it from the UK. Once I got it, four peers who tried it out ordered the same unit. It's fantastic.

bigb
09-22-2016, 09:45 PM
I have had mine for over a year now and I am really pleased with the clarity, I can always see the puddle now. The headgear just plain sucks. Loosens up all the time, slips around on my head unless cranked down tight enough to hurt. The side knobs loosen up with every flip. A while back someone suggested buying a certain fixed lens Jackson hood that has much better head gear and swapping in the auto lens, but I don't recall which model it was.

Gmmandan
09-24-2016, 10:39 AM
I have had mine for over a year now and I am really pleased with the clarity, I can always see the puddle now. The headgear just plain sucks. Loosens up all the time, slips around on my head unless cranked down tight enough to hurt. The side knobs loosen up with every flip. A while back someone suggested buying a certain fixed lens Jackson hood that has much better head gear and swapping in the auto lens, but I don't recall which model it was.
I have the same complaints the worst head gear of any expensive auto darking I have bought. I wish I had bought another digital elite.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk