PDA

View Full Version : Welding Table

LGLDSR
11-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Greetings,

I am new to welding, having taken it up as a hobby. I am using a Lincoln Electric 125HD, Flux Core. I need a welding table. I ordered a Klutch from Northern Tool and as you can see in the photographs it left allot to be desired upon arrival. It arrived last week and going back tomorrow.

Can someone recommend a decent welding table for relatively short money? I don't need on larger than, say, 48 L x 21 W x 36 H.

Until such time as I can get a welding table what can I weld on? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

- L

Jimmy_pop
11-22-2016, 11:49 PM
https://weldtables.com/

tinker001
11-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Build one would be the best way for you.

flushcut
11-23-2016, 09:06 AM
A piece of 1/4" plate with two metal saw horses.

97ZJ
11-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Until you get a table, you can always weld on the concrete floor of your garage or driveway. That's where half of my projects end up anyway. Or, depending on what you're welding, a few automotive jack stands would get things up in the air a bit.

Go to a local steel supplier and tell them what you're trying to build, and the rough dimensions, and say "I've got $xxx in cash in my pocket, what do you have in your drop pile that would work for me?" That's how I got my 2'x4' 1/2" plate that is now my welding table top. I think I gave them $100 for it, and they fork lifted it into my truck. The legs can always come later if you have some saw horses around.

You've got a welder. Build yourself exactly what you want or need.

N2 Welding
11-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Until you get a table, you can always weld on the concrete floor of your garage or driveway. That's where half of my projects end up anyway. Or, depending on what you're welding, a few automotive jack stands would get things up in the air a bit.

Go to a local steel supplier and tell them what you're trying to build, and the rough dimensions, and say "I've got $xxx in cash in my pocket, what do you have in your drop pile that would work for me?" That's how I got my 2'x4' 1/2" plate that is now my welding table top. I think I gave them $100 for it, and they fork lifted it into my truck. The legs can always come later if you have some saw horses around.

You've got a welder. Build yourself exactly what you want or need..

I am pretty much doing the same thing. I got a 1/2" plate 2' x 3' at a local scrap yard for about $80.00 sitting an two adjustable height folding aluminum saw horses. Works good for now. Eventually I will get around to building a frame for the table top. The only downfall to this temp saw horse table is no wheels so it stays where it lays.

Brazin
11-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind while you're down on the concrete, enough heat will actually make the moisture in the concrete explode. Not super hazardous but it can ruin your concrete. My first welding table was a piece of 3/8 checker plate about 20" x 30" after I bolted the vice on there wasn't a lot of room left, but it still makes a good vice stand a few years later.

mechanic416
11-23-2016, 11:48 AM
The one from Harbor Freight is cheap and looks better then that one.

KMA
11-23-2016, 02:26 PM
The one from Harbor Freight is cheap and looks better then that one.
This. On sale and with a coupon it is an even better deal.

Bryan527
11-23-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm welding on a 16x16 inch piece of 1/2" plate on a saw horse. Probably not big enough to rebuild mining equipment, but practicing joints it works fine.

I actually have two of those plates. The dream is to weld the two together, effectively doubling my welding area. Just like a big boy.

97ZJ
11-23-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm welding on a 16x16 inch piece of 1/2" plate on a saw horse. Probably not big enough to rebuild mining equipment, but practicing joints it works fine.

I actually have two of those plates. The dream is to weld the two together, effectively doubling my welding area. Just like a big boy.

Hey Bryan, another thought could be to build them as two separate tables. You could clamp them together for a 16x32 when needed, or put a spacer in between to make a longer table too, with a gap in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw99
12-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Look around for a local metal surplus store. I often see 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in 4'x4' sections. Then some square hitch steel and some HD castors.

MrA
01-30-2017, 06:36 AM
I too would suggest building one.

I built this for about £300 with a 1/2" Top. All 40mm Box Steel 3mm wall thick. Open ends on the tube to add vise and what ever else in future.

I've added my design with the dimensions if your interested and to get a rough scale.