PDA

View Full Version : Miller Spectrum (Cutmate) 300

stroker_dave
09-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I just took delivery today of a used Miller Spectrum 300 plasma cutter that I found on eBay. I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet, though I did plug it in after I unpacked it and it seemed to power up fine.

One thing I did notice was that the collar that locks the power cord clamp in at the machine is loose, so the power cord turns. I need to get inside the machine to tighten the collar up. I downloaded the manual from Miller and it looks from the parts drawing that I'll have to pull the front of the machine off to access it (picture below...hopefully it shows up! If not, attached below).

P:\Document\davestuff\Welding\cableclamp.JPG

If anyone with a 300 (or other comparable Miller plasma cutter) has ever been inside the box before could give me a little guidance, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

weldersales
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Go ahead and take off front. Nothing will jump out or be mis-aligned. Very simple to tighten feedthru. Put on cover, and go to work. Be sure to check the switch on back that switches from 120 to 240 volts. There is a screw there that you remove to get at switch with screwdriver. That is a fantastic little machine that will actually sever 5/8" on 120 volts. weldersales

stroker_dave
09-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Go ahead and take off front. Nothing will jump out or be mis-aligned. Very simple to tighten feedthru. Put on cover, and go to work. Be sure to check the switch on back that switches from 120 to 240 volts. There is a screw there that you remove to get at switch with screwdriver. That is a fantastic little machine that will actually sever 5/8" on 120 volts. weldersales

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I checked the power switch when I first got the machine to make sure it was set for 120V. The previous owner actually installed a screw to keep the switch trapped in the 120V position so it couldn't be switched without intent.

I finally got a chance last Friday to cut metal with it and found that I'm going to need a better breaker for that circuit. The breaker currently installed for that circuit is a 20A breaker and I tripped it once I bumped up past 20A on the Miller. It seemed to work just fine on the cutting I did do with it (under 20A).

I was really happy to be able to get a cutter (albeit used) manufactured by one of the big American companies for the same price as a Chinese model would have cost. It seems the jury is still out on many of those.

Thanks again,

Dave