PDA

View Full Version : Weldtec Cooler +

cornemuse
02-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I bought (on craigslist) a Thermal Arc 185 tig welder for my nephew. It came with original CK 17 air cooled handle, and, a Weldtec cooler with a Weldtec 20 water cooled handle with 25' lead.

Welds beautifully with the air cooled CK torch. (I already have the same welder, TA 185) The guy I got it from put tap water in so we could use it (test the cooler/torch, works fine).

Theres no model # on the cooler. What do these things use for coolant? Distilled water? Antifreeze? Two fittings for coolant are both marked 'water in' that connect to the cooler. Which direction should the coolant flow through, cooler to torch & then back, or visa versa??

I'm keeping the cooler for me!

Was $1,550 too much for this package?? Nothing beat up on either one. Stick welding lead/stinger is missing, but everything else is here.

Also, the regulator is a Harris with a pellet type gauge rather than 2 round gauges, which type is better??

-corne-

Oscar
02-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Tig specific coolant is best. That said, people have had success with many different coolants. Get rid of the tap water asap and use distilled water. Torch head gets cooled first, then flows out through the power cable to cool the copper wire second as it flows back to the cooler.

cornemuse
02-06-2017, 12:48 PM
It turns out to be the 2 gallon cooler I got. (I think '35')

I weld a lot of small projects, I have a (I think) '9' CK pen style torch, its air cooled & gets hot pretty quickly. I have the CK17 that came with my 185. air cooled & a bit large. The Weldtec 20 that came with the cooler setup is smaller than the CK17, I like this. Is there (are there) smaller (physically) sized water cooled torches and/or pens out there anyone can reccomend??

-c-

shovelon
02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
I have been using synthetic soluble machining oil for years. Anything but tapwater is good.