PDA

View Full Version : Good price on Miller 320 A/B Set-up??

RHO_Design
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm not a welder yet. Been lurking, learning, looking for something to buy. I have found the following set up locally:

Miller 320 A/B
Water cooled TIG torch, kevlar covering (no cooling pump, runs off tap I guess)
Remote foot pedal
Stick elelctrode holder
Ground Clamp
60cf Gas bottle
Flow meter
Water and gas regulators
Factory Manual

guy wants $400 which I think is pretty resonable, but I'm less than a novice here so I thought I'd ask. For extra he'll deliver to my house.

Intended usage is on everything I can get my hands on :) starting with 1/8" SS and mild steel. I'm looking to fab some trim and safety parts to support my bad habbits. I'd also like to get into AL. Everything that I can conceive of at this time wont be more than 3/16"-1/4". I'd like to do TIG because I believe (from what I've read) it looks better (when done right) and I'm not concerned about producing volume and such.

Questions are:

Is this a good price for a fully functional set up?
Will this do what I intend to do in terms of material variety?

Best regards,

Michael

P.S. If this is the wrong forum, my apologies!

jworman
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't find anything about a 320 A/B, but it sounds like a heck of a deal. The gas bottle, while not very big, will run $50.00 or more. The foot pedals aren't cheap. I bought a non-miller one for my rig and it was $150. The torch and regulators would cost a fair amount. If the welder works and if the 320 has anything to do with the amps output, it sounds like a heck of a deal (to me).

John

prop-doctor
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
sounds fair priced. i would check it out make sure all works good, an if tank can be fill in your area
just be sure it works an you are HAPPY with deal

MoonRise
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
If it works and you can use it, it's a good/great deal. Especially with the extra stuff.

You -do- have a way to feed juice to the beast, right? A quick check on Miller's website for old manuals indicates that if the unit is a 300 amp box, it will need the supply circuit to be wired with #2AWG and a 175amp(230V supply) or 200amp(208V supply) breaker.

The 300amp model has a listed weight of 870 pounds, the 200amp model is a lightweight at only 785 pounds.

The 300amp unit has a duty-cycle of 85% at 250 amps, 60% at rated 300 amps, and 35% at 400 amps. The 100% duty-cycle looks like 230 amps.

Will that unit handle 1/8 inch stainless and mild steel? Yeah.

RHO_Design
10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
On the Miller website I found a 320 A/BP and A/BSP. I printed the manual for the A/BP and the picture looks exactly like the unit I'm looking at so perhaps the seller forgot the 'P'. The Manual has a publishing date of 1981. When I get in contact with the fellow I'll verify the exact model.

Its a 230V 1 Phase input according to the gent so I think I can wire it up in my garage which will be great as I can back drive my house through the plug from a generator when the Hurricanes knock out the power. If I can't... well I guess I'll have a welder for sale ;)

As far as testing it out, well even if I could strike an arc I wouldn't know if it were good or bad :blush: The advert says that the high feq. functions well and 'everything works'.

For $400 is this unit better than the Harbour Freight 90 Amp TIG unit? Because that's really my only other option. I don't have a spare $1500 for a new inverter style TIG box from Linc. or Mill.

Best regards,

Michael