PDA

View Full Version : circular stair case...for a beginner?

ned946
03-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Ok, its not for human use, but I was thinking about making one for the dog. Our small Pomeranian can't get up on our tall bed..very old, heart problems, lung problems and he likes to sleep on the bed.

I was thinking of using some of the DOM tube in the scrap pile (should be strong enough) and somehow mounting some steps.

Any suggestions for this crazy project?

Note: the dog has much sentimental value to my wife...it was the dog her dad chose days before he passed away.

Franz
03-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Normally the easiest way to build spiral stairs is by building each step individually on 2 1/2" pipe 8" long, and then dropping the steps over a 2" pipe verticle, and then adjusting them as you tack in place.
The handrail supports are welded at the outer end of the tredplates to minimize flexation and then a handrail is welded on.
I usually use 1/4 x 2 for the tread supports, with 2x2 angle for the end of the tread support.
Downsizing to Pom size will require a bit of scrounging up tubing that will fit the bill after you determine the rise of each step. You can probably downsize the tread support material to 1/8 x 1.
Convincing the Pom to climb the stairs may take you longer than it takes to build the stairs.
Good luck.

INTP
03-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Our aging Lab doesn't do so well on spiral stairs, because they're uneven in size of the treads, and she misjudges where to place her paws.

boilerman
03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
not knowing how active the dog still is ....but a ramp comes to mind faster than stairs

ned946
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Then ramp it is!

http://members.cox.net/rdovhwebmaster/dog-ramp.gif

I just guessed on the amount of square tube and I was a bit short, so that is the reason for the compromised design. Please keep in mind its for a dog of 10 lbs...I think it will hold! :D

Got some shiny diamond plate to go on top.

WOW, prices have gone way up for supplies. 80 bucks for what you see, plus some scrap diamond plate and some cuts.

Franz
03-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Man, after $80- and the labor, I sure hope the dog uses the ramp, or there could be some serious problems in the doghouse.

Snidley
03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
How heavy is this dog?

Judging by the ramp it must be in the 300 to 400 lb range.:D

Desperado
03-09-2004, 08:01 PM
The ramp looks good. but you might want to consider just a plywood top covered with some indoor/outdoor carpet so yer dawg don't slide on the ramp.Although the diamond plate will look great....Ithink the diamond plate wouldn't instill confidence in the dawg if he/she slides walkin' on it.
Jus' a thought. ( I have those once in awhile)
-Rob
:blob3:

Skeptic
03-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Definitely indoor/outdoor carpet is more dog friendly. :) You could find it in a nice gun metal gray.
I made a ramp for my older lab to get in the dog box on the back of my truck, I wrapped indoor/outdoor carpet around 3/16" plywood.
She could walk up and down it very well. I did have to put slats on the carpet so she could climb it easier.
The pom will have a much easier time with your angle there.

Skeptic