PDA

View Full Version : Red Or Blue ?

crucible100
10-20-2006, 12:53 AM
IM going this saturday to buy a new welder . it will be either a PM255 or a mm251 .. can i get some feedback if possible ? The dealer has red blue and yellow machines ..

crucible100
10-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Well i went and bought the lincoln 255 . i think i got a good deal . I paid $1699 for the welder , $220 for 200 cf cylinder bought not rented a 10 lbs spool of fluxwire and a 30 lbs spool of regular wire and about 20 gun tips . i got out of there paying $2180 tax and all ... needless to say i was thrilled at how nice this machine performed after i got it home and used it . I have been hobby welding for 20 years with a century 115 v welder that still works really well . i also have a little buzz box as well as a giant HOBArt cybertig 300 that really stick weld incredibly well . i havent tigged with it yet but i have all the peripherals to do it minus the water cooler . I also weld the old fashioned way in my blacksmith shop , you think some modern forms of welding are difficult you should try this form .. It can be really nerve racking .... anyway thanks for any post input ... John

littlefuzz
10-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Well i went and bought the lincoln 255 . i think i got a good deal . I paid $1699 for the welder , $220 for 200 cf cylinder bought not rented John

Sounds like you got a great deal, I know one guy that paid 2200 for just the welder. I quoted one for 1800.

Robo48
10-23-2006, 04:02 PM
We have one of these at work and I am not thrilled with it. I find its hard to get tuned in. LWS is supposed to send a lincoln rep out to check it out. Once you get the machine tuned it it welds ok and then it seems to automatically turn up the heat itself and blow what your working on apart. Local muffler shop has one to and they say the same thing about it. I have used it a little and gotten ok results with it. My little 175 and the 135 lincoln we have at work imo are excellent welders. The 255 is good to not sure I have spent enough time playing with it yet.;)

I think either machine would be wonderful to own. Myself I really want a MM 210 or powermig 215.:waving:

fastgmc98
10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I got the lincoln powermig 255 and love it!!! I tried the miller and the lincoln and went with Lincoln. Both are awesome machines though.

bugdust
10-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a 7 year old 255 and I love it. I've never had a problem with it and it welds everything I need it to. We have two of them at work. One is about 7 or 8 years old with no problems. The other one is brand new and we paid $1800 & change for it, with company discount. You can get them off ebay for $1800 & something, a bit more if you get the spool gun.

I'm a big fan of Lincoln myself. Most of the larger companies I've worked for (Chestnut Displays, Canam Steel, Caterpillar) have used Lincolns. Most of the smaller companies I've worked for used Millers. :confused: I've never really had a problem with either brand. One company I worked for did have one of the Millers in the shop a couple of times but also had a westinghouse in the shop too. It might have been the environment they were kept in (open shop)A friend of mine and my brother both have Millers (185 & 210 respectively) and they both complain about how they have problems if not used regularly. I've used both machines with no problems.

It's really a Ford vs. Chevy thing, I think.:laugh:

snoboy
10-27-2006, 02:54 AM
Blue!

jdwelder
11-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Yellow.

Scott V 2
11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Let see??? All of the above and purple too.:)

The new shopmate in the picture is really a pretty good unit.
Not even close to the Esab in the picture but still very nice.

The powermig 255c I used was very nice too.