PDA

View Full Version : Oxy/Acet Gauges

puddles
03-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Newbie here, this is my first post, if it works. A friend of mine gave me a set of gauges and a torch. I can't find a brand name on the torch. It just says made in the USA and by the oxy lever there is stamped a number 120-2. Does anyone know if this means anything? Also the gauges are old I think but look to be in great shape with the brand name HARRIS. Does anybody know if they are a good brand and how would I check them out to know if they ok.
This is an awesome site with lots of good information/advice and lots of really good people. You guys are great. Thanks

Franz
03-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the ZOO Puddles.
Old torches can be either a great thing, or a nightmare. The first and most important thing is to check and probably replace the hose.
Harris is definitely good equipment, and you should still be able to get parts for your torch.
For a quick test, you can mount the regulators, and check them by applying the Mark I human Thumb to the outlet and check the regulator function.
BEFORE MOUNTING THE REGULATORS, inspect the inlet fittings to the tanks carefully. If there is any oil or contamination on the inlet, do NOT mount it to a tank till the inlet is ABSOLUTELY CLEAN!

OlPilot
03-08-2004, 03:51 PM
And also make sure you have anti-flashback fittings installed! These are cheap insurance, available at welding suppliers. You may have them, you may not, depending upon the age of your gauges and torch.

puddles
03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
The model numbers on the gauges are 325-15 on acet and 325-100 on the oxy. I didn't see anything that looked like an anti-flashback fitting but then I guess I wouldn't know what they looked like. Does anybody know how old these are?
Thanks everyone!