PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Dynamics TSW185..??

IT-Welder
10-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Anybody have one of these units..?? How do you think it stacks up against the miller dynasty 200dx..?? I know you lose a few amps but how about all the other features, i.e. pulser, freq. adjustment, etc.

Tailshaft56
10-28-2006, 02:36 AM
The TA is a great little welder. The pulser is full function, it has slope and slope with repeat, a spot timer, 70 amp hot start and adjustable ac frequency.

fun4now.
10-28-2006, 02:41 AM
they are pretty close the Miller hase a lil more in the frequency and i think the pulse will go higher also. if its a hobbie budjet get a TA-185 its got a good solid reputation and many happy owners (including myself)
i watched it on 2 main sites for about 3 years wile i was saving to get the Dyn200 and saw lil to no complaints so i went for the TA-185 as odds are it would have been another year befor i could have aforded the dyn.
if its for work i would go with the dyn200DX its a lil more solid and you will get faster repair work if you need it. but for playing at home its hard to beat the TA-185 in reputation and bang for the $$
and it looks good to, here is mine all dressed up to stay in for the night.:laugh: :cool2:

etonline
10-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know why there are none around all of a sudden?

Indiana O2 has had any TIG units since the Arc Master came out.

drivesector
10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Something happened between Indiana Oxygen and TA. I want to say they had complaints about the prices IO was selling the units for. I think local retailers were complaining :cry: . I did read that they were working things out and it would be settled soon. I cant remember where I read this so I could be full of crap also since I have no proof.

fun4now.
10-28-2006, 12:56 PM
seems like they should be able to sell at whatever price thay want but who knows maybee some one with inside knolage can chime in or i could call IOC monday to see if he will tell. i got my TA-185 from him and got great service, mine was $1750 but that was 1 month befor the new modle.

sail2u
10-29-2006, 03:18 AM
The local USAirWeld (14 stores in AZ and NM) claims they are all sold out of the TA 185 TSW's -- but they have a great supply of the new ArcMasters --about $4-500 more.

I suspect they stopped making them when the ArcMasters were being produced, as it appears that many of the components may be the same with some upgraded electronics.

fun4now.
10-29-2006, 11:28 AM
the TA-185 tsw's were replaced with the arc master you can not get a TA-185 TSW any more unless a dealer still has one in his store left over stock.
the arc master is the 2007 version of the TSW. they added a few more features to it, mostly stuff most will never :rolleyes: use and raised the $$ by about $400.:mad:
personlay i think it was a bad move to jump the $$ so much its getting too close to the dyn200DX $$ and will likely hurt sails. as i understand it IOC sent out arcmasters when TSW's were orderd when they first came out (at the TSW $$) so the owners were not upset just a lil confused. but i dont see that getting IOC in any kind of truble, they were giving an upgrade for free thats all. if you got an arcmaster when you paid for a TSW and have a problem i'll be happy to trade with ya.:p
the only dissadvantage to the arcmaster is the $$ increase:cry:
i supose that could have upset the other sellers but i dont think IOC did it on purpose they just put in an order and the factory shipped out what they had, the new modle. i would suspect the same thing would happen if they orderd a BWE as Miller no longer makes the old modle and has switched up to the auto on version. not much the seller can do about it, new modle is out and they stoped making the old one.

fun4now.
10-29-2006, 11:30 AM
FWIW its still in the same case, just added a few functions and changed the face plate. no reason to complaing. except for the $$.
at the new $$ i would have just gotten a Dyn.200DX

jafr
10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Anybody have one of these units..?? How do you think it stacks up against the miller dynasty 200dx..?? I know you lose a few amps but how about all the other features, i.e. pulser, freq. adjustment, etc.

I've never used a Dynasty 200 but I have an arcmaster 185 and just love it! I'm not a professional welder by know means but I've done some 6061 up to a 1/4" and some mild steel up to 3/16" with it and worked perfectly! No complaints here!

Mike

fun4now.
10-30-2006, 02:34 AM
scot just upgraded from the TA-185 to a dynasty 200DX last week, but has not realy had enough time for a good review, just enough to say he realy likes the dyn200DX.
i'll post his review over her for ya when he gives it, unless you frequent the hobart and miller motorsports ask andy sites.
as a hobby welder i dont think you can go wrong with eather on, for a work welder you need to make a living with i would go Miller even if just for the suport & service they provide.
let us know how you decide to go.
and congrats on the soon to be new toy.8^))

etonline
10-30-2006, 09:36 AM
fun4now

I understand the history of the TA 185, what I am saying is there are none of the new ones to be had on line either. If you run a web search they are there....................

I was curious what the 200 amp model was going for and was about ready to buy one when IOC all of a sudden didn't have any..........

Inquiring minds just wanted to know.

Tailshaft56
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
seems like they should be able to sell at whatever price thay want but who knows maybee some one with inside knolage can chime in or i could call IOC monday to see if he will tell. i got my TA-185 from him and got great service, mine was $1750 but that was 1 month befor the new modle.

Some manufacturers can set a " minimum advertised price ". That doesn't mean some can't sell a product for less, it's just a minimum you can advertise at. It's easy to tell from an ad if a sellers price is lower than MAP. Generally they will give an item description and end the ad with " call for pricing".

fun4now.
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Tailshaft56
i see your point, it would be hard for IOC to put call for price on e-bay.:p
well i hope it all gets worked out, lots of people missing out on a great lil TIG unit.:cry:
then again, if they dont have one to offer i could sell you mine for say oh about $2400. oh wait they just uped the dyn200 price, so ill have to get $2700 :eek: but my TA-185 comes compleat ready to weld and even has a fancy cover. i'll let ya chose between the eagle or the Miller logo on the cover. its a great deal for $2700.:laugh: suply and demand kinda thing, TA cant keep me from selling mine.:nono:
man i guess the TA-185 price jump to $1900 is not so bad now that i see what the dyn200 went to. back when i started saving up for a TIG i could get the Dyn200DX on line for $1900 :eek:
i think getting the TA-185 when i did was a good choice.:cool2:

DesertRider33
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
I also wanted to buy the Arc Master 200 ACDC, but I too found that none are available online to compare pricing on and locally no shops have it yet. One local shop quoted $2450 for it and I think that was just for the bare machine, no torch or pedal, etc. Another shop accross the street quoted $2900 and I think that was the bare machine too, not sure. Neither shop had ever heard of that model when I called, let alone seen one or have it in stock, so it must be very new. I think the one shop just went with the MSRP that Thermal Arc quoted them. The other shop usually gives a descent discount on their machines.

I'll probly wait untill the dispute with the online retailers is resolved and see who has the best deal on a package and then consider tax versus shipping on whether to go with the local shop or an out of state shop.

I might end up with the Arc Master 185 instead of the 200 if the price break is that significant, but I do like the multi-phase/voltage feature of the 200 machine. Otherwise, the machines appear to be the same except for the 15-amp output difference.

fun4now.
10-31-2006, 02:25 AM
lots of the online dealers offer free shipping. i got mine from IOC and they give free shipping, also got ny MIG and Plasma there also.

sstorkel
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
The story I heard was that ThermalArc was banning on-line sales, because they were undercutting local dealer prices. Not that any dealer in my area has even heard of the ArcMaster 185.

When I asked IOC about the price difference between the ArcMaster 185 and the 200, it was significant (~$2200 for the 185 vs $2960 for the 200). Mostly, I assume, because the 185 is 220V only and the 200 will handle 1-phase, 3-phase, 460V, 220V, or whatever else you throw at it.

fun4now.
11-01-2006, 07:12 PM
thats the reason TA was able to put out the TA-185 below millers dyn200 the dyn has multy voltage options and by leaving them out it alowed TA to make the 185 much cheaper. i wish miller would do the same and put out a 220V only version in the same $$ range for the hobbie guys that dont need the portability but do need the lower amp draws. as 220V is not a problem but trying to come up with 60+ amps to feed a welder is hard to do.

DesertRider33
11-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey I just saw the Arc Master 185 with starter kit on BR welding supplies ebay listing for about 2470 I think it was. I called them asking about the price on the 200 and 300 but he said they dont have the price on those yet.

Steve St.Laurent
11-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Man, I guess my timing was just right when I bought an Arcmaster 185 w/starter kit from IOC on ebay for $1,948.87 two months ago. I couldn't give you a comparison as I'd never tig welded before I bought the Arcmaster. It's working great for me thus far and I've sent quite a bit of work out the door. The 200dx was another $1,200 over that price still. I couldn't swallow 50% more cost for my usage.

fun4now.
11-06-2006, 02:18 AM
the TA-185's a good solid lil unit but i think they have gotten a bit greedy. i got mine about 5 months ago at $1750.00 and already they are over $2400. thats just nuts, no excuse for it. and to say the arcmaster is a upgraded unit with more features is no excuse, the features added will never get used on 90% of the units sold. shame on TA for the price increase. if i had it to do over again today i would hold out for the dyn200DX.

DirtyLittleSecret
06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Prices havent jumped THAT much really.
Just ordered the TA185 for under $2000. Seemed like a steal of a deal. Might even find a day that I can compare it directly side by side with my Dynasty 200dx...:dizzy:

fun4now.
06-13-2007, 07:35 PM
that would be an interesting compare, they are verry close in most respects except for the 120V option. well thats what the last guy that had both said. OH! and the dyn200dx makes an afull niose the TA-185 dosent.;) so if you want quiet its TA or ear muffs.:p

phila.renewal
06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I used an inverter and it sounded like a freight train . . . but the arc was sweet.

DirtyLittleSecret
06-14-2007, 12:37 AM
That's strange...my Dynasty turned to the tilt doesnt make any noise at all. Just the stunning sound of an arc! I've tried 3 Dynastys now and NONE made ANY noise. I think its a myth.

ManoKai
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
FastFwd 6 yrs: http://annapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3803071243.html

Personally not interested, but thought somone on the Eastern SeaBoard might pursue. No personal experience with the TAs, but looks to be a solid setup. Regs, Gas Bottle, etc. GTG. $1.5-1.6k should Win it.

brucer
05-20-2013, 03:24 AM
FastFwd 6 yrs: http://annapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3803071243.html

Personally not interested, but thought somone on the Eastern SeaBoard might pursue. No personal experience with the TAs, but looks to be a solid setup. Regs, Gas Bottle, etc. GTG. $1.5-1.6k should Win it.

It's priced a bit high, that is a 1st or 2nd gen as well as I can tell.. I bought my 185tsw for $1700 new, after light home use for 6 yrs I sold it for $1400..

With the ta186 getting lined out and priced at $1500, no way I could pay anywhere near what they are asking.. I would offer $1200 or just buy a new ta186.

They are excellent machines though..

Brand X
05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
It's priced a bit high, that is a 1st or 2nd gen as well as I can tell.. I bought my 185tsw for $1700 new, after light home use for 6 yrs I sold it for $1400..

With the ta186 getting lined out and priced at $1500, no way I could pay anywhere near what they are asking.. I would offer $1200 or just buy a new ta186.

They are excellent machines though..

Second model as far as I remember. The TSW 300 in that model was excellent. The last Arcmaster 185 welded as nice as any 300, so always worth taking a look at. The new 186 is in the same vain as the original 185, meaning not quite perfect, but tremendous value there. They did get the arc quality right on this one, first time out too. (IMP)

ManoKai
05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
WhatEv, offer $1.3k and see where it goes.....