PDA

View Full Version : Govener on old Lincoln Gas machine

redfish_joe
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
A friend called me tonight and said is machine will hit WOT when it starts. Something with the govener I'm sure any ideas? I have no idea how old the machine is. Magneto, down draft carb. and a flathead 4 cyl. redseal engine.
That about all I know about it.

tompit9
11-11-2006, 01:16 AM
it stays this way? or will it idle down after afew seconds?

redfish_joe
11-13-2006, 09:16 PM
He keeps it on high idle all the time. It just keeps reving up. Gov not working at all. I would blow it it were to keep running.

tompit9
11-13-2006, 09:23 PM
what kind of idler does he have on the unit?

redfish_joe
11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Got me on that. I go look at it tomorrow and get all the info I can from him. Thanks!

RobertDoubrava
12-01-2006, 06:37 PM
It most likely has the vacuum bellows type idler, which is what my '47 SAE300 has. High idle should be around 1500RPM, low idle at 800 to 900RPM, and load speed at 1300 to 1400RPM.

weldersales
12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
What we normally do in a case like this is break the governor/carb connection - you can do that at either end with the ball rod connection. Then, with one hand on the carb throttle holding machine to idle, start engine and gradually allow speed to increase. As it rises, observe the governor arm - if it moves to the left - counter-clockwise - as speed increases, gov is ok. Most times, someone has adjusted the governor spring which is below the arm. The condition you desire is to have the gov half way in its travel at max rpm. Lock the idler open to get it out of your way. Governor very seldom goes bad, but they are available at reasonable prices on used market. Keep in mind that the governor is key to timing. If you do not remove the bottom gov bolt, you cannot upset the engine timing. weldersales