PDA

View Full Version : Al Tig Tungsten Question

joshcrews
03-12-2004, 02:38 PM
I recently jumped into the tig welding world and was always told to use Pure Tungsten on aluminum. When I recieved my new Lincoln Precision Tig 185 the other day, the owners manual saws this:

"The AC waveform of the PRECISION TIG 185 optimizes cleaning and heating of the work. The result is the capability to weld through the complete amperage range in AC TIG or DC- Tig with only one electrode, a 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten."

This was under the Aluminum welding section of the handbook.

Planet X
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes, I noted that too, this 1 tungsten good for steel & aluminum things WAS one of the inverters 'advantages'. Knock some out and see how she goes-

Youve got yourself a pretty badass scr/transformer welder there-now dont let me down start whipping out some quality beads/projects. Gives me ammo for my battles w/the ac/dc inverter wars:p

Mike W
03-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't buy the 3/32 for all amps ranges. :D

joshcrews
03-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I welded 14 gauge aluminum, then some scrap 1/8". The 2% thoriated tungsten worked notably better than the pure tungsten. I will take some pics this weekend.

JMcKeone
03-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I just got the new PT 185 also, when I weld Aluminum with the PURE, the arc is all over the place, the 2% seems to work alot better, but ive been told to watch out for contamination with the 2%. Ive been hearing good things about Zirconiated with AC aluminum welding, either brown or white. I may pick some up this week to try it. Enjoy the new machine!

Jim