PDA

View Full Version : Standards for auto-darkening hoods

wfowfo
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
I see where there have been several posts here about $50 auto-darkening hoods vs. $300 hoods. Other than the price, I have seen the following in the specs of one of the hoods;

"Meets ANSI 287.1, CSA and CE standards"

Another listed the UV/IR rating as DIN 16.

What are these standards, do all hoods adhere to them, and if not, what should I be looking for in terms of protecting my eyes as well as my pocket book?

elvergon
11-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I´d only trust a good known brand...

I don´t know about the certifications but I´m sure Hobart wouldn´t offer a helmet that could let you blind...

http://www.toolking.com/category/productInfo.seam?productid=21187

for 99.99 it´s a nice helmet, looks OK, and has variable shade..

That´s the best option for someone who is trying to save some cash while taking care of his eyes, remember, you only get 1 pair in life... IMO

Clanweld
11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
ANSI is American National Standards Institute, and if I have it right CE is the european equivilant, CSA is Canadian. The actual stadards I couldn't tell you, and it really doesn't matter. All it means is the helmet passes, it wasn't smuggled in from Uzbekistan strapped underneath Llamas or anything, and shouldn't blind you. Doesn't mean that, like a lot of other cheap things, it won't be as nice as you expected when you get it in yiour hands, or won't break faster than a quality item bought, or be uncomfortable to wear, etc. Like most things, it's a personal decision. Some people shop at Macys, some at WalMart. Some are at WalMart because they like cheap, some because it's what they can afford. Good luck!

Underwhere
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
What I did was buy one off ebay for 65 bucks or something. (bought it yesterday)
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=13160636&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=ItemDescriptionANDimage&Item=120073562934
Auto darkening and solar powered.
It works in 1/25000 of a second.
There are other hoods that work in 1/10000 of a second...so I figured this one would be better.
It said it was ANSI certified.

But what I did was buy some SAS Stinger safety glasses which filter 99% UV.
They're form fitting like sunglasses and clear...so I figure that if the ebay cheapo helmet doesn't really filter UV, then my SAS safety glasses will.

For kicks, I bought some 3M welding respirators as well. They look small enough to fit comfortably behind the mask.

dlturman
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I am in the market also for an autodark hood. One thing I saw was that the $50 hoods have a reaction time of something like 2 milliseconds. Sounds impressive until you discover that a $200 hood does it in .025 milisecs. I borrowed a friends hood once and I could detect a flash of light when I struck the arc. Not too bad, but how much damage will that do over the course of a year or so? So I think I'll take my chances on the high dollar model.

Underwhere
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I am in the market also for an autodark hood. One thing I saw was that the $50 hoods have a reaction time of something like 2 milliseconds. Sounds impressive until you discover that a $200 hood does it in .025 milisecs. I borrowed a friends hood once and I could detect a flash of light when I struck the arc. Not too bad, but how much damage will that do over the course of a year or so? So I think I'll take my chances on the high dollar model.

the one I bought is 1/25000 of a second. I believe that is the fastest.

Even some of the more expensive $150 hoods claim only to be 1/12000 of a second.

wojeepster
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I like the hoods with the replaceable batteries. Some of the cheap ones the battery is permantly soldered in place. When the battery dies so does the hood. Granted it will last a few years....