PDA

View Full Version : Old Hobart Gas welder

therrera
11-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I have an older Hobart gas welder with the chrysler six engine. I don't have a model number, but the control panel looks similar to a posting here dated july 2006 except that my unit has its control on the front of the machine and not on the side. It is a generator welder. My problem is that it was missing the fine amperage control unit that unplugged and allowed fine tuning remotely via an extension cable. When done, it would plug back in the in its socket in the coarse setting wheel. I am hoping that someone might point me to the location of parts for this old machine.

Thanks,

Tony

TozziWelding
12-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Well I will say I am sorry ahead of time. As far as I am concerned, Hobart as we now know it is just a name. I have an old GR-303, and can't get hide nor hare of info on it from hobart. I have come to find out from an old generator repair man what I need for parts are no longer avalible. ITW ruined a great american brand and I am all done with them. I am going to buy an SA-200 that I can get parts for. If anyone wants a good running GR-303 that needs a rheostat and a pc board $300 gets it out of my yard.

slanty6
04-13-2009, 01:39 AM
i know this thread is almost 3 years old but i figured what the hey ? would this part be what you need ?? ebay number 200330494463 ? thanks dave(btw it's not mine)

Okie Welder
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Tozzi! I can get you some info that you need for the gr-303 I have an electronic manual, and also found out the place to get parts. At least the brushes anyways. You might can call them and get more parts havent had to check. I alos know that my local oriellys had the engine parts needed. I am in the process of rebuilding the carburator on my gr-303.

Thermal Arc bought out the rights to early model hobarts back in 1996. I dont understand why people have such a hard time digging up info on these welders. I got the electronic manual for it from miller. I called them directly and talked to the sevice department.

Here is my original post: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=28906

E-mail me @ thebevs@windstream.net for the manual.

Thermal arc also has a Tech support hotline and once I got on the phone with a advisor, i gave them part numbers referenced in the gr-303 manual and they listed the parts I had in question.

I actually got this welder of mine welding with the exceptions of the engine work needing to be done. Welded great!!!

Hit me up for additional support via e-mail

rene labonte
12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
i am looking for a amperage selective dial for my hobart GR-303, ive looked everywhere without luck. if i had a pic i could make one myself. anyone out there willing to send me a pic or tell me where to get one?

denrep
12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
i am looking for a amperage selective dial for my hobart GR-303, ive looked everywhere without luck. if i had a pic i could make one myself. anyone out there willing to send me a pic or tell me where to get one?

Make one!?! :eek:
Anyone with that sort of determination deserves a picture.
Here:

Maybe it's time to cannibalize this one. Who else needs what?
Tozzi, what's yours need?

I know where Tozzi's probably ended up:
I saw his red truck holding up traffic on the bridge one day.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee66/karmainsantoro/muttley.gif

rene labonte
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
thank you very much for the pic denrep(master welder)

hobohilton
12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Here's a long shot for your parts. This guy had two Lincoln's and a Hobart for sale. I bought the Lincolns. He still has the Hobart. It is a "parts machine.

hawgss@peoplepc.com,

joseph_zlnsk
12-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Just because supposedly no one does not have the parts doesn't mean they are not out there. As far ss the pc board goes you can diagnose it yourself or send it off. There is a company that repairs all boards hobart board rebuilds are 160.00 and as far as the reostat goes there are plenty of generic reostats there. A competent electronics repair shop could figure it out. Sadly I learned the shop I was working with was not very competant at all. I ended up figuring out the issue and repairing it myself after wasting money with that shop. And all those parts were once made by someone there is someone out there that either makes a newer version or has one stocked somewhere

ccawgc
02-15-2013, 02:58 AM
thermal arc does have a few parts for the old welders, but are not allowed to give any tech support any more. But if you call the Hobart group over at itw miller. they will at least try to help. They run the Hobart welder web site. ITW got all the manuals and will give or sell copies if you ask for it. ASK the tech support guys, if they have it in electronic form they will just e-mail it to you.