PDA

View Full Version : 6X48 Belt sander

papasloan
12-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks to iWeasel410 for the 15% off coupon. I had a small 4X36 belt sander from sears. Picked it up at a yard sale for $25.00. All I use it for is squaring the end on exh tubing before welding. It would stall quite easily. So I started looking at larger sanders.
Been looking at them for a while. HF was $179.00. It just went on sale for $159.00. Sat morning I found the coupon for 15% off. So I headed down and bought one. Roughly $135.00.
Overall the fit of the parts is quite good. Pulleys shafts etc. Some areas of the casting needed smoothing with a file. So with a couple larger od washers and some readjusting to square up the table. It is great.
The older sander would stall with 2 in. tubing This thing doesnt even slow down.
For the money it was hard to beat.

MicroZone
12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Which model is it? I've been looking to get one. They show a few belt sanders on their site as being $89.99. The only other units are in the 200-300 dollar range.

iWeasel410
12-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks to iWeasel410 for the 15% off coupon. I had a small 4X36 belt sander from sears. Picked it up at a yard sale for $25.00. All I use it for is squaring the end on exh tubing before welding. It would stall quite easily. So I started looking at larger sanders.
Been looking at them for a while. HF was $179.00. It just went on sale for $159.00. Sat morning I found the coupon for 15% off. So I headed down and bought one. Roughly $135.00.
Overall the fit of the parts is quite good. Pulleys shafts etc. Some areas of the casting needed smoothing with a file. So with a couple larger od washers and some readjusting to square up the table. It is great.
The older sander would stall with 2 in. tubing This thing doesnt even slow down.
For the money it was hard to beat.

No problemo, I went to the Pasadena HF on saturday to pick up the 18v cordless drill, it came out to be a little over 30$. I also picked up some of those arrow welding magnets, and a box of nitrile gloves for when I work on the car.

papasloan
12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Which model is it? I've been looking to get one. They show a few belt sanders on their site as being $89.99. The only other units are in the 200-300 dollar range.

Its a model 6852. It is usually $209 but its on sale now for $159

MicroZone
12-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh yah, that's a nice unit. My brother has one the same size, I forget who manufactured it but I'm trying to get him to ship it to me...as opposed to buying one.

tarmacblack
12-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Hmm, I may have to drop by harbor garbage tomorrow and check this guy out.

steve45
12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I picked one up with the 15% discount. I like it. It was missing the top plate for the stand, so I called HF's service department and they are supposed to send me one. Then, I discovere that instead of a large plate, as shown in the manual, they have substituted two small pieces of angle. If they actually send the plate, I'll install it, but the two small pieces will do.

steve45
01-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Update: Got the replacement parts, they sent the new little angle pieces instead of the large plate called out in the instruction manual.

The miter gauge already broke. It had a plastic pivot pin, guess it fell on the floor.

The power switch broke today. It has a clumsy rubber cover over it, I suppose it's to keep dust out. Anyway, you have to push it hard to get it to work. I couldn't get it to turn on and ended up pushing the switch all the way out the back. The plastic switch housing broke...

steve45
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Update: Received a replacement switch yesterday--no charge. Took 2 weeks to get it. The invoice showed a price of $2.53, I don't know if that's the normal selling price or their cost. Anyway, the only problem I had getting them to replace it was that they were having trouble with their phone system. The call kept getting dropped after it was answered. I went to their website and used their 'Live Chat' feature and got things resolved quickly.

steve45
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
One more time... I upgraded the original switch with one from Grizzly, part # 8990. It will snap into the cutout without the mounting screws. It is a sealed switch to keep the dust out, but it' easier to use than the original sealed switch. Cost is $10.95.

MicroZone
01-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Nice to know, I hear those switches are the first to go on many units.

I received the belt sander from my brother yesterday, I'll post up picks up the unit.

papasloan
02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Just a little update. As the belt wore in it seems like the tracking got touchy. I just put a new belt on it and i'll see what that does. I also made some t bolts to replace the locking screws on the adjustment. It helped a lot.
Still cant stall it.
I still like it. Not perfect but liveable.

MicroZone
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I ended up getting the Dayton unit from my brother. He needed some car parts, I needed a big belt/disc sander. I love it, it almost rips parts out of your hands: