PDA

View Full Version : Engine for welder

Planet X
03-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Wondering about info on engine makes below for engine driven welders.
Onan or Kohler, what do you like? An Oil burner is out've the question due to $$$.

Thanks in advance:cool:

NoDak
03-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Planet X:

I have a Miller Bobcat with an Onan engine. I am impressed with the fuel economy of the engine. I am always surprised how long it runs between tanks. The bad thing about it is that it starts a little hard. I live in North Dakota so all engines start a little hard in the winter but I have used Kohler engines on other equipment that started easier. I have been using a gas treatment called Sea Foam which was recommended by a small engine mechanic which helps with starts and the engine runs smoother also. So far no oil consumption. I think Onan makes a tough long lasting engine. I would buy it again.

DDA52
03-15-2004, 01:36 AM
X,
I've been running an onan on my bobcat. Never had any trouble with it untill it died (my fault ):( . This is a big topic on the miller board right now. The consensus is kohler will be better than the new onan/robin/linamar engines. One of my mechanics says he'll never switch from onan/ robin. IMO, they're both reliable engines. Kohler parts are MUCH easier to find though. Seems the majority are going kohler right now. Tommorrow, who knows? Honda maybe?
:blob3:

John C
03-15-2004, 08:13 AM
I remember my grandfather having kohler engines on some of his smaller equip.
I had a hobart with a kohler that stayed up with an an old Lincoln SA250 at 180+or- amps all one week on a job.
I bought a new 225 Bobcat spec'd. w/ a Kohler a few years back. Still doing fine. I now have the 250 Bobcat with a Kohler.
As you may notice, I'm partial to Kohler. They're also easy to find parts for, even in Okla.
I say that because the only problem I had was with the Hobart machine I mentioned. I let alot of water get in the fuel tank & I lost the bowl gasket to the carb when I cleaned it out. I found one a the local (one of those real) auto parts store.
That being said, I would rather have a Kohler even though they're not idiot proof.

fla jim
03-15-2004, 08:35 AM
I have a Ranger 8 with a Kohler, that has given me good service. You might try Honda also.
I know that Franz disagree's with me, But I run Amsoil in mine.

Planet X
03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks fellas. I know nothing about engine driven welders other than they look cool on a truck or trailer:D

Franz
03-15-2004, 01:26 PM
My Bobcat has an Onan, and I don't run Amsol in it, I just change the oil regularly. Oil is a lot cheaper than parts.
Oh yea, mine is also propane driven.
Kohler, I ain't overly enfatuated with them since they no longer make cast iron engines.