PDA

View Full Version : Tig welder

deadman11699
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Has anyone used this before.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91811
I'm thinking about geting it and useing it for just tig welding. It dosent have to be the best but just work.

runchman
01-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I had one for a while, not bad if you just want to screw around with steel. No pedal, so it is rather limited. You'll probably want a 'real' machine after buying this though !

If you buy it, definitely copy the 20% off coupon from someplace else on this site.

and get some real tungstens, the ones that come with it suck.

- John

razer
01-08-2007, 08:39 AM
20% off coupon

http://www.weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5859&stc=1&d=1163966387
http://www.weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5240&d=1159759071
http://www.weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5239&d=1159759039

gus203
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I bought one right before Christmas and had to take it back because it wouldn't strike an arc. They didn't have another in stock so I got a refund. I read some other posts here and found that others had gotten the same results. The cashier at HF said that the welder had been recalled before for problems. I have also read others that have used them for years with no problems. Just my 2 cents. Hope you have good luck, I might give it another try.

Popwri
01-09-2007, 12:48 AM
deadman11699
Did you get the H F tig? I was looking at it at H F today it sure is small I'm wondering if it would work on small and thin stuff.
Keep us updated and I'll do the same.

deadman11699
01-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I went and bought it today. I got better welding rods for it and I haven't got to try it today because of the fact that I have 50 amp 240. And the outlets aren't the same. Some I'm running back to home depot tomorrow to get the right outlet.

runchman
01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I went and bought it today. I got better welding rods for it and I haven't got to try it today because of the fact that I have 50 amp 240. And the outlets aren't the same. Some I'm running back to home depot tomorrow to get the right outlet.

You can just put the right plug on the welder to fit the outlet, no problem using a 50 amp outlet for your welder. Of course you probably just meant you were going to get the right plug, not outlet, anyway :)

I had this unit for a while, if you are just looking to do thin steel its not bad for the price. I never got good at the scratch start though.

- John

Popwri
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
deadman11699
Have you got your H F tig up and running yet? waiting on a report from you before I commit to one.
Headnut

jamlit
01-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I bought one to play with and learn a little about tig welding. I have had it a year now and think for the price, it is pretty good. I havn't done allot with it but what I have done looks good. It's no miller but it works. It is however limited as it would be nice to have a thumb or foot control and a pulse would be great. If you are looking to do light metal and small projects and maybe have a little fun, it great. If you are looking to do alot of top quality tig welding, you might want to look for a good used miller.

J Little

TIGBOY
01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Got Me Looking At It Now

MJDamiani
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
What do you plan on welding with machine? You may be better off saving your cash and getting a machine that you will not outgrow in two weeks.

lewray
01-16-2007, 08:55 PM
:blob2: I just bought one last week and found that it was a great tool for learning tig fundementals. I have really enjoyed it and have no regrets. I have had no problems and have ran already ran two 40 size tanks through. I bought so I could decide on which larger machine to buy....what to look for for, pros and cons like how nessesary HF start would be and do i really need a pedal and so on. I am probably going w/ millers syncro 250.

jamlit
01-17-2007, 07:08 AM
That's how I feel about. Good cheap starter and than move up.

deadman11699
01-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Sorry for takeing so long my internet connection was down. I got It hooked up and running It works great for every thing I use it for. I don't use it for the arc welder just the tig welder. And for that it works great. The only thing that I don't like about it is there is no foot control and you have to turn a valve on the tortch to turn the gas off. But other then that It works great. So I would say go and get it. I got it for 200.00 on sale and then the 20% off (Thanks razer) So I paid 160 so it was worth every penny.

maxyedor
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
For those who have them, there is a gas regulator on the tig torch, does this meen I don't need a regulator on the tank? I assume I still do, but I'll be over at HF to pick one of these up later today, so I had to ask.

Teddco
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
For those who have them, there is a gas regulator on the tig torch, does this meen I don't need a regulator on the tank? I assume I still do, but I'll be over at HF to pick one of these up later today, so I had to ask.

The device on the HF Tig torch is a valve to start and stop the gas flow, and within a small range, to regulate the flow. Full tank pressures run around 2,000 psig, which exceeds the working pressures of most, if not all, the components in the TIG unit, hoses, and torch. You need a regulator on the tank to reduce the tank contents to a safe pressure before it gets into the hose from the tank to the TIG unit. The secondary, low-side pressure guage on most regulators for inert gas welding have both pressure and flow markings, or there is a pressure gauge and a Rotameter flow indicator. There is a flow restricting orifice in the outlet of the regulator that is sized based on the gas you are using, so get a regulator that is labeled for argon if that's the gas you are using. Argon-CO2 regulators for MIG and OA regulators have a different size orifices. However, if HF doesn't have a pure argon regulator, I don't think usng an argon-CO2 regulator will affect the actual versus indicated flow significantly.

JuanioSA
03-15-2008, 02:50 AM
i bought last week , the only trouble i had was finding a reducer to put on tig gas output to input. hey anybody know if the tungsten is supposed to be loose.:blob2::blob2:

CaptainWilly
03-15-2008, 07:31 AM
hey anybody know if the tungsten is supposed to be loose.:blob2::blob2:

No... It be in there solid and not move or wiggle at all.

gaustin
03-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I picked one up yesterday. I haven't hooked it up yet but will soon. I have had the 80 amp machine for a few years and am satisfoed with it but wanted a little more power. The included tig rig saves some $ too.

I wonder why they have the gas go through the machine ? There is absolutely no reason for this since there is no valve within the power source to cut the gas on and off by remote.

gaustin
03-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Wired it up this AM. When I turn it on I get a rapid ticking sound that sometimes lasts a few second sometimes over 30.

7.4 volts across the + and - terminal. Not enough for a visible spark with the leads plugged in.

This one was in an opened box so it may have been a return. It was the only one they had.

lefthand man
03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
i picked one up a few weeks a go and when i was wiring it up i saw that the cooling fan on the back was cracked so i brought it back and exchanged it with no problems. the cord that comes on them is to lite for the rated amps. so i put the next step up on mine . i have not tryed mine out yet thow it has been to cold and have to get agon for it. i cant wait to try it out have not tiged in 7 years.:eek:

D1980
03-28-2008, 12:59 AM
i picked one up a few weeks a go and when i was wiring it up i saw that the cooling fan on the back was cracked so i brought it back and exchanged it with no problems. the cord that comes on them is to lite for the rated amps. so i put the next step up on mine . i have not tryed mine out yet thow it has been to cold and have to get agon for it. i cant wait to try it out have not tiged in 7 years.:eek:

Damnest thing, cuz mine was the same thing cracked fan. Ya sure them bastards in WI didnt
ship it here:laugh:

Havent had a chance to use mine yet either. aint never tigged before should be a task.

mendoje1
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I have one of these machines, it works great. Here's a link from another board, which discusses this machine in great technical detail, among some very knowledgable folks:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132185

Jeff