PDA

View Full Version : Acetone



zapster
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Saftey lesson time..

Some know this..some do not
so if you dont..listen up!

Acetone is extremly flammable..
leave your wet rags on a piece of wood or on a "clothsline" of some sort to air dry before "chucking" them in the dirty rag bin..

also more importantly..
Never EVER leave the acetone on your welding bench!!!!!!

Even if its feet away hi frequncy can and will "set it off"
I've never done it but i have seen it done..
and you will not know its burning..untill something else catches fire..
and by then..it may be too late!!

Store all chemicals in a fire proof storage box..

saftey first!

...zap!

MicroZone
01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Yepper - my acetone is on one side of the shop and the welding/grinding is on the other. Although I have to walk 10 or so feet, I'm much better in the long run.

runchman
01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
My first mig bead was on a piece of sheetmetal sitting on top of a large plastic garbage can, a can where I had just tossed a paper towel that I'd used with acetone.

Instant fire! Harmless, but quite a surprise.

- John

ZTFab
01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
You have to be especially careful with MIG welding and flammables.

Sparks fly farther than you think when you've got the hood down!

...and don't forget about when you pull out the 7" grinder with the hard stone and start going at a hefty piece of plate. Those sparks can move. :blob2:

- Paul

littlefuzz
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I like to get a rag soaked in acetone and pitch under someones table when they're welding. No harm, they just keep wondering where that smell is coming from :)

WHughes
01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
I like to duct tape a acetone soaked rag and ignite it and throw it at unsusptecting welders.
Also, if you use some de-greasers be careful. I used one and set the rag aside. Then I noticed it smoldering, as I picked it up to toss it, the oxygen really ignited the whole thing. It was a big POOF! I was really surprised.

Bill

zapster
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I like to get a rag soaked in acetone and pitch under someones table when they're welding. No harm, they just keep wondering where that smell is coming from :)


I'll look the other way..for now..:rolleyes:

are you alright?

Dont do that...:nono:

Dont do it again!

Or no cookies for you at nappy time...:nono: :mad:

...zap!

Sandy
01-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Acetone is extremly flammable..
leave your wet rags on a piece of wood or on a "clothsline" of some sort to air dry before "chucking" them in the dirty rag bin..

also more importantly..
Never EVER leave the acetone on your welding bench!!!!!!

I prove Zap to be correct about every two weeks or so. I've been extremely lucky so far with no bodily injuries in what should have been total disasters.

GWallace
01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Also a fire hazard is Boiled linseed oil soaked rags. They wont dry out like acetone but will spontaneously combust in a rag bin.

littlefuzz
01-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Hey, at least I'm not throwing flaming rags at other weldors :eek:

lorenzo
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Not just flame but the heat of a weld by itself can ignite acetone.... I was welding a bore and some grease was oozing out from between two plates.... grabbed a rag, not thinking that I used it earlier with acetone, began to wipe the grease and.... WHOOOOOSH..... instant fire!!!

Clanweld
01-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Yepper - my acetone is on one side of the shop and the welding/grinding is on the other. Although I have to walk 10 or so feet, I'm much better in the long run.
Reading your guys "flaming" posts gives a whole new meaning to "the long run"!