PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Road Show

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Well I had "FUN" today. The Lincoln show came to my dealer, Valley Air gas in Pinellas Park Florida. I played with the new PT 185, and the PM 300 with a push pull gun.:cool2:

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I got to play with the famous new PT 185. It was set up for aluminum. I liked the balance setting. My SD 180 is older and doesn't have that. The Pulse is Ok, but I could the same without it. I really liked all the storage on the machine the best of all the features. Other than the balance setting, and the storage features. I didn't see any difference in performance over my SD180. My Son has the New SD 180 with the adjustable balance. He likes his.

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:19 PM
This will make "Planet X" happy. I really liked the PM 300.
Everyone was fawning over the PT 185, so I had the chance to really play with it. The one I used was set up with a python Push-pull gun, and .030" 4043
I'm in lust.
Aaron, this is what you should have got. it makes the MM251 seem like a "Clark 125".
The pulse on pulse setting is the cats Meow for thin aluminum. really beats my MM210, and Spool gun. If I ever get to where I'm doing a whole bunch of Aluminum this is what I want. You can adjust the wire speed right on the gun. You set you parameters, and processes, and call them up with a toggle switch , and digital readout.
I didn't even go into the multi process ability, I was having toooo! much fun on aluminum.:cool2:

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Here's the Push-pull gun

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Here's a weld, I was having to much fun to remember the settings.

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
P.S.
I was having so much fun, I didn't even eat any of the free burgers, and dogs. When I miss a free meal something is Up:D

Planet X
03-26-2004, 08:46 PM
That torch costs more than my Pm255 too rich for my blood!

This is my speed and if all proceeds like it is supposed to I will be giving it a fresh paint job soon.

fla jim
03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Here, all the time I thought you were a "RED" kinda guy.

Planet X
03-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by fla jim
Here, all the time I thought you were a "RED" kinda guy.

If Lincoln sold something like this-I would own it. But if Lincoln did make something like this chances are they would not be the last true American welding machine maker left...

Poor old Hobart Bros. This machine is 14years old, outputs 300amps @ 60% w/a peak of 400amps all on single phase power,all running through a copper transformer..
Company's that made machines like this should still be in business... I'm sure the Clinton's had something to do with Hobart's downfall, but they've covered their tracks well:D

Not sure on its OEM color, but previous owner painted it blue, and in fact he is using the sale to pick up another MM251
:confused:
Taking a pretty good gamble on this thing, but it had everything I wanted in a Mig powersource except an inductance control, but wont need that anyway-Pm255 will get the short circuit chores.
:cool:

wed4life
03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi,
What does the inductance control do?

I have heard so one talking about a choke on a tig machine to make the arc "softer"?

Thanks, David

Planet X
03-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by wed4life
Hi,
What does the inductance control do?

I have heard so one talking about a choke on a tig machine to make the arc "softer"?

Thanks, David

This pertains to short circuit transfer with mig welding; if say you have 150 short circuits per second with a certain setting and now at a little inductance (resistance) you will increase the arc on time or reduce the number of short circuits to for example 130 instead of 150 with the same wire feed and voltage settings.
It will put more heat into the weld and help reduce splatter-useful (so I'm told) for welding stainless with short circuit settings-helps the bead lay down and wet out some.
It is a control that was common with early migs- you can still get it with some machines like the ESab 250 .

But, if say you have a red machine w/ 'diamond core' supposedly the choke design takes care of this for you- I like the option to decide what is best for each weld ,and not have the choice made for me. But the Lincolns do have the best arcs in the buisness...right Aaron:p
Not sure about the tig 'softer' arc thing though.

Franz
03-27-2004, 12:11 AM
It should be sort of a copper brown color.
I have an RC 256 supply, and if I can remember, I'll post a picture of it.

Planet X
03-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Franz

Cool Franz, I dont have this yet, but the guy sounded straight up and he's got my $$ so, we will shall see:cool:

Planet X
03-30-2004, 11:21 PM

Is this it? Industrial machines give me wood:D

Franz
03-31-2004, 12:26 AM
OK X man you wanna fess up on how you got in the shop and took the picture of mine?

Aaron
03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Planet X
<snip>But the Lincolns do have the best arcs in the buisness...right Aaron:p <snip>

Now Px has gone completely off the deep end.... :eek: :confused: :dizzy: :nono:

Planet X
03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
Now Px has gone completely off the deep end.... :eek: :confused: :dizzy: :nono:

Ha,ha, hoping you would see that dig... you have got a good sense of humor + your way over on the other side of the Continental divide should you lose that 'humor':D

Hey, you should pop into your Miller store and check out Millers new Millermatic 350 & 350P. The guy I bought the old Hobart off of just picked one up and he's over Illinois way- have not reached the stores here yet.

Seems Miller/ITW mega-corp, is not ready to concede Lincolns superior ability to bring 'low' priced technological wonders to the welding market:cool:

Planet X
03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
OK X man you wanna fess up on how you got in the shop and took the picture of mine?

Google. Seems auctioning sites are putting up pictures on the web and this one came up with a little digging. :cool2:

Scott V
03-31-2004, 12:44 PM
[But the Lincolns do have the best arcs in the buisness...right Aaron]

Guys,you seem to forget the yellow ones?:D

[Aaron, this is what you should have got. it makes the MM251 seem like a "Clark 125".
The pulse on pulse setting is the cats Meow for thin aluminum. really beats my MM210, and Spool gun.]

Jim, I was wondering when you were going to see the light?Now we just need to work on Aaron!

Aaron by the way where are those pictures of the 16 aluminum gauge done by the 251 you own?:eek:

Jim,this older Hobart/Thermal arc setup works better then the python/prince setup of the powermig.(I had both)It seems to have less feeding problems.It is only 15ft but it sure works well.It would not work as well with .035/4043 wire.It is to bad that I got the last control box they made for the thing.:(

Aaron
03-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, Scott, I guess I'll set up this afternoon and run some 1/8" aluminum through my planer so I can try your test. :confused:

I told you that I didn't have any of that stock. Besides, what you guys seem to miss is that there is a reason I don't have any of that stock. I have no need to weld aluminum foil. I build stuff from plate steel and SS, like 1/4" to 1" in thickness. I sometimes use aluminum, never thinner than 1/8", and I can MIG that.

Scott V
03-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Aaron,remind me to never ride in a boat you built.Unless I am going into combat!!!!:D

Ok guys more info on real mig guns.Check out the push/pull setup.These guns just flat out are nice.I want to change out every one I have.
http://www.binzel.com.au/binzel.nsf

fla jim
03-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Scott:
For just shy of five grand it should weld good.
I still think that Miller's customer service is better.
I was curious how the recepticle on the PM 215 was wired. The machine is 240, with no neutral. My question to the "Lincoln experts" at the road show was could you plug in a "GFCI" cord to the machine? No could answer that. They had an idea that there was an extra transformer for that. It would seem if that was how it was wired, both sides would be hot, not good.
But I still was impressed with the PM300!!

Planet X
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
Well, Scott, I guess I'll set up this afternoon and run some 1/8" aluminum through my planer so I can try your test. :confused:

I have no need to weld aluminum foil.

Ha ha:blush: love it.

I'm with you on the sheetmetal Aaron, sides Tig machine needs something to do too:cool:

ScottV, you got rid of the PM300 for a plasma cutter:confused: Nay can I understand.

Scott V
03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Jim,I bought mine for $3,000 with the python.It was a airgas demo,and in great shape with full warranty.It also came with extras like a standard gun extra drive rolls.At that price it is only a little more then a 250 amp machine with a spoolgun.At five grand I would buy something else.Like a ac/dc inverter tig.Just like this one.I guess I don't need one.I went ahead and sold my powermig and I am just looking for the synergic control for the Mk I got.It will do all I need.I am getting a cnc plama burner with some of the powermig money.I think those are much cooler for a home shop setup.I have all I need in the picture for doing anything I could think of.Without limiting myself like Aaron!:D

Scott V
03-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by fla jim
Scott:
For just shy of five grand it should weld good.
I still think that Miller's customer service is better.
I was curious how the recepticle on the PM 215 was wired. The machine is 240, with no neutral. My question to the "Lincoln experts" at the road show was could you plug in a "GFCI" cord to the machine? No could answer that. They had an idea that there was an extra transformer for that. It would seem if that was how it was wired, both sides would be hot, not good.
But I still was impressed with the PM300!!

Jim out here where I am,esab is easier to deal with then Miller or Lincoln. ITW pretty much has ran Benard into the ground so everything is not quite as rosey as you think.:eek:

Aaron
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Scott,

I didn't limit myself, my budget did. :D

Keep in mind that I have been using a HH175, so the MM251 is an amazing step forward. I still have access to two Synchro250's at work, as well as two large 3-phase MIGs, and a 60A plasma.

I wouldn't call my setup limiting. I have yet (knock on wood) to come across the need to weld something I can't weld with my current equipment.