PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have, used or seen this old welder?

Bob Warner
01-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I was digging around in a storage area at work and found an old welder. Did not have to dig much because this thing is huge. It is a Miller "Big Blue 250D." It is a diesel driven welder and is mounted on a steel skid for a forklift.

I took pictures but forgot to bring them home to post. Maybe tomorrow.

The front of the machine does not have any writing on it, it appears to be faded all the way off. It is difficult to make out the "Big Blue 250D." I cannot determine what the lights are for, how to turn the power on so it will start. The starter button is obvious but there is no key or on switch to turn on prior to hitting the ignition. The boss says it ran last summer on ether but the guy that started it is no longer around.

If anyone knows if this thing is worth anything, please let me know. I do not want to spend cash on something that is not valuable to start with.

Thanks,

Bob

zapster
01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Yaknow Bob..

If you can get it for cheap..
and it works...

Take it before someone else does..
Chances are you'll "steal" it anyway..

I have no idea of what it is.....but....:waving:

...zap!

MicroZone
01-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Zap is correct, if you can get it cheap enough, take it! It's not like you can't get parts for Miller welders, ya' know? Just hope it's old enough you don't have to buy circuit boards, they get pricey. ;)

MicroZone
01-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Doing some searching for you Bob, here is a service manual on eBay for it, only $3, heck Miller will probably send you a free one if it's not online on their site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-WELDER-BIG-BLUE-250D-Service-Manual_W0QQitemZ250047804878QQcmdZViewItem

- says from 1981, so it's not that old, some are still kicking that are 40 and 50 years old. ;)

Look at that, found it on Millers site, but you need to input the serial number to pull up the manual on their site, link here:
http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Hope that helps so far...

Bob Warner
01-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks Joh and the rest of you. I found the manual on Miller site also but it does not show the front of the machine. I have no idea what it should have on the front. What ranges the taps are set on etc...

I do not plan on getting this machine. My boss thinks it is worth a bunch because someone told him it was worth several grand. I am not so sure it is worth that much and want to advise him on the real value so he does not waste cash on something that will not pay him back.

I told him that the Miller bobcat or similar engine driven welder in the $3000 range new would probably out perform this older machine so nobody would want to pay several thousands for the older machine.

MicroZone
01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Here are some auction results from 2004, a few of the Big Blue units go for $2,000...but they were running. ;)

http://www.yoderfrey.com/auction_results/kissimmee_04/day6_results.htm

weldersales
01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
The Big Blue 250D is a very unusual machine - had the Deutz F2L912 two cylinder engine. This series easily delivers 15,000 hours. Has a kill rod, right? Pull to kill. Simplest of all welders - two positions, weld and off. weldersales

MicroZone
01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
So, what is a used one that doesn't run worth?

rvannatta
01-30-2007, 10:00 PM
So, what is a used one that doesn't run worth?

diesel welders are nice, but when they don't run---just more expensive to repair.

$300-$500 is a price of a welder that ought to run but doesn't. to be paid by someone who thinks they can fix it......