PDA

View Full Version : Hey Paul - have you seen this?

MicroZone
01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
www.bajaflo.com ?

Was this supposed to be a movie. In the clip it states a release date of Sept. '06 ?

ZTFab
01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh, have I seen that?....HELL YES!!:laugh:

This is my favorite off-road video. It has outstanding camera work, great interviews with legends in off-road racing, and a great soundtrack.

In fact, I'm staring at the DVD on my desk right now!! Ha ha ha

Mike Flores, the creator of Bajaflo already has Bajaflo 2, "The New Blood" which features driver profiles of the young, upcoming heroes in our sport. One of who is Gustavo Vildosola, Jr. which just so happens to be the team that I am on!! :)

If you even remotely like off-road racing, check this video out, it will get your blood pumping and make you want to go race in Baja!!

Thanks for looking out John!! :waving:

Now I'm going to go take an hour and 20 minute break from work to "do some research for my race this weekend" **cough, cough*** Watch Bajaflo***cough, cough***
:laugh:
- Paul

ZTFab
01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
In fact, here is a trailer that I have saved on my computer for when I need a quick dose of Baja between races!! :laugh:

Here ya go John....

.. width="425" height="350"><param name="movie"
value="http://bajaflo.com/videos/trailers/bajaflotrailerraw_Med.wmv"></param><embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" enableJSURL="false" src="http://bajaflo.com/videos/trailers/bajaflotrailerraw_Med.wmv" enableJavascript="false" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed>..>

MicroZone
01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Hahahaa, that is cool! Yes, I still like Baja, just don't follow it as much. The only guy I remember is Ivan "Ironman" Stewart. Hahaa, u gotta take a "break" eh?

MicroZone
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Video link doesn't work, hmm...then my post acted up, I couldn't type anymore. Weird.

ZTFab
01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Ivan is still around and very prominent in off-road. He doesn't drive anymore but a few years back he started a new spec class for trucks called PRO trucks.

PRO trucks are very popular and very capable vehicles. They're kind of the "NASCAR" of off-road. Spec'ed chassis' and motor but quick and fun.

Ivan is a great guy and a legend. He was the Keynote speaker at my college graduation. Not many people cared that he was there but I did and still think it was pretty cool.

I'll see Ivan this weekend in Parker, Arizona at our race. He's always there at Tech talking with the driver's and meeting fans.

Is the link still not working? It's directly off of Bajaflo's website?

- Paul

MicroZone
01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Yep, Ivan is the man. See if you can get me an autograph. If not, no big deal. Hmm, PRO trucks now eh?

Part of the link shows, I'll post it here:
http://bajaflo.com/videos/trailers/bajaflotrailerraw_Med.wmv

Viewing now...

Rick Moran
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Dont forget the veterans that started it all in the 70's. Rod Hall, Larry Minor, Parnelli Jones, Bill Stroppe, Walker Evans. The shop where they built Stroppe's Big Oly Broncos was right around the corner and we used to hang around and peek in the fab shop back then. They were all Ford guys until they turned Mopar in the early 80's. I used to do Rod Hall, Bill Stroppe & Walker Evans W-2 heads, and also Walker's Mitsubishi (4cyl) effort against Ivan when I was working for Keith Black. He used to come by and watch us dyno the motors. We couldn't match that Toyota though, and he rarely broke.

Here's a pic of Walker next to his tricked out Mitsubishi, opps, I mean Dodge Ram D-50. Sounds like we're back to the American Cars post! :laugh:

We put small block Chevy intake valves in it with twin Webers, with of course, full porting and blueprinting. We were getting just about 350HP back then with the 2 valve head.

Old memories are good for the soul....:rolleyes:

MicroZone
01-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Yep, I remember Walker Evans, now that you mention it. The true pioneering guys in the day.

ZTFab
01-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I still race against Rod Hall and his sons in BITD (Best In The Desert) in our Stock Full F-150. They are one of our biggest competitors in their Alpha 1 Hummer.

His son Chad races the H1, Josh drives the H2, and Rod drives the H3.

I feel fortunate to be able to hang out with guys like Larry Roeseler, Rod Hall, Larry Ragland, Malcolm Smith, etc.

They are pure living history and have great stories to boot.

..and they always treat people with respect. Great guys in my book.

Rick, you have some great stories!! I've gotta meet up with you sometime and take you out for a beer so I can hear more.

Rick Moran
02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Riding dirt bikes for over 20 years, I grew up a desert racer and remember MSmith as one of the major the pioneers of the sport. I didn't do any car type stuff, but I crewed one race for a friend that had an entry level VW racer (tube chassis, forgot class). Roessler, Ragland, yes I remember them too. It's great they are still around, active in the sport and that you have contact with these guys.

My favorite DIRT racing is CORR, especially, Class 2 & 4. I would give anything to drive one of those, although I don't think my back could handle it. Other than that I'm into Indy, CART & F1.

Maybe someday you could teach me to weld.....:laugh: :laugh:

ZTFab
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Maybe someday you could teach me to weld.....:laugh: :laugh:

Rick, you have an open invitation to come by my shop and fire up a welder. I have 5 MIG's and 2 TIG's....take your pick. :laugh:

I've actually been thinking about offering a night time welding class for MIG and TIG. I've taught a couple of my customers how to weld and they said they would gladly pay me for more lessons.

I have also been toying with the idea of having a free one day class like zap has done. Since we're too far away to go to his class I thought I could host one at my shop for the West Coast folks.

I just don't know how many people would attend.

- Paul

Rick Moran
02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Put me down for the class, I think that's a great idea! You are definetly one of the Masters around here and we need a West Coast guru class too. I don't think I'll be able to get to MA anytime soon. :laugh:

As much as I'd like to do night lessons and would be willing to pay for them, I don't believe it would work. I go to bed fairly early because I get up at 4AM everyday and the wife likes me around when she gets home. :rolleyes:

bruceb
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I would like to attend. I am in Chatsworth which is around an hour drive from La Verne.

MicroZone
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
You're too far away master kahones. :laugh:

I have a friend that lives out there, one day I will stop over. You better be there!

ZTFab
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Rick and Bruce, I will check my calendar and see when I can free up a weekend to schedule a class. I'll start a new thread and see how many would be interested and what weekend would work better for everyone.

John...You let me know when you want to come out to Cali and I will be at my shop. (unless I'm racing, then you're screwed!! :laugh: )

- Paul

MicroZone
02-01-2007, 06:17 PM
If you're racing, i'm coming along ! :jester:

ZTFab
02-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I leave tomorrow at 7am for the BITD Parker 425 in Parker, AZ.

Meet ya there?! Ha ha ha :laugh:

MicroZone
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Um....ya, let me just hop in my personal jet. :laugh:

Take a few pics and share when you get back. :cool2: