PDA

View Full Version : TA versus HTP Tig

almus
02-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I am about to pull the trigger and purchase either the TA185 or
the HTP invertig.

I am tending towards the TA due to the lower cost :
TA 185 < 1900.00 including shipping
HTP 2395.00 +120.00 shipping (truck freight + residential delivery)

Plus the TA company seems a little more extensive than the single
source from a website.

Does the HTP have anything (apart from 15 nominal amps) over
the TA that make it worth the extra cash?

Bells? Whistles
Just the Italian Ferrari red paint?

Also thanks to this website (other thread) I was able to find that
amazing price.

Cheers,
-Almus

Tailshaft56
02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll second the TA. Thermal's customer service is first rate.

David R
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
TA 5 year warrenty.

No exp with the HTP.

David

Teddco
02-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Tha last HTP catalog I received listed their Invertig 201 AC/DC at $2295; $2799 with water-cooled torch. When I bought my 160DC I called HTP and told them I was considering a Miller Maxstar 150STL or STH, asked if they had anything similar. They negotiated down their list price on the 160 to beat the best Miller price I found and threw in a regulator/flowmeter and consumable kit. HTP warranty is 3 years. No complaints about either of my HTP products

runchman
02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Htp also has a 'try it for 90 days, return if you don't like it' policy, for what that's worth.

I have the invertig201 and am very pleased with it. It helped for me that I can just drive to HTP and avoid shipping charges.

- John

sail2u
02-09-2007, 02:47 AM
I'd favor the TA--as I used it in welding class (and more easily set up than the Lincoln Invertec , which we also used)-- and hope to make it my next acquisition. Customer support was excellent with my TA Fab 210.

Does your $1900 price include all the accessories (torch, foot pedal, gas regulators, stick lead, etc.) ? If so, where from?

My local dealer wants $2145, incl. all the accessories, + 7.75% tax and is talking $200 for argon tank.

bruceb
02-09-2007, 03:20 AM
http://www.asedeals.com/firepower_tig.html

When you order you get the new 185 Arcmaster version. I know because I just bought from there.

David R
02-09-2007, 07:16 AM
My arcmaster 185 should be in Today!

I have a bunch of 1/8 aluminum and 16 ga steel all cut up and ready for some practice.

Can't wait
David

almus
02-09-2007, 08:19 AM
>Does your $1900 price include all the accessories (torch, foot pedal, gas regulators, stick lead, etc.) ? If so, where from?

As a previous poster replied, the place to get it is:

http://www.asedeals.com/firepower_tig.html

I ordered it yesterday....

It appears from other purchasers that you do indeed get the whole
kit and it is the new machine. The website info, apparently, is dated and lists an older model. When I called them, the salesman was not sure; though
he said the machines are drop-shipped from the factory in TX.
He said they are selling like crazy (their best sellling welder)
I imagine that they would probably get even more sales if their web-
add was current.

I was a bit hesitant to order it because I thought it might in fact be someone
unloading old models. In fact I am still a little paranoid. I will rest assured when I open the box. Toolsforless.com has it (properly listed) for 1978.00 + shipping

I might have gone for the HTP if it included free shipping but their
shipping is expensive and there is a surcharge for a residential delivery.

Thanks for the info,

-Almus

David R
02-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, it did show up today. The model with everything. A #17 torch, 3 size tungstons with grey tips, 3 collets, gas cones..... Foot pedal, regulator Nicer hose than they show in the pics. I paid $2173 no freight.

I used it as much as I could today. Ran a bunch of aluminum, some stick, even some 5/32 7018 on 160 amps. It took me a while to get the hang of all the adjustments on aluminum but I am getting there. I ran some verticle up fillet on the 1/8 aluminum. It looked pretty good till I burnt through after about 5". Lots of beads and quite a few flat (horizontal?) fillets. I have never used a square wave tig, or even a foot pedal. For me this is the ritz. I made one hour labor with it too. That made my day.

David