PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Read

R W
02-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Has anyone read "Welding Secrets" by Hal Wilson.

ZTFab
02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
NO.

There are no "secrets" to welding.

Doolittle
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Yep, that was brought up before.. Psst.. gotta secret... dont get suckered into buying welding secrets... shhh..

Seriously, hes probably got some good info in there, but nothing you cant find here or in a good miller or hobart manual. Clean, preheat, and practice make a good welder (Im not there yet obviously). I wonder what number you'd come up with counting the years of experience here? Get stumped or in a rut, post a pic and ask away. Instant gratification.

Alberta Fabricator
02-09-2007, 11:59 PM
unless it's an actual trade text book i wouldn't bother with those 'master welding in a weekend' type books

MJDamiani
02-10-2007, 01:43 AM
My wife purchased "Modern Welding" as a Christmas gift for me in 1984. This is the best welding book that I have. Five years ago my children purchased "Welding Essentials: Questions & Answers" another good book. Two years ago the kids purchased Welding Fabrication & Repair, Questions & Answers" the last 2 books are written by Frank Marlow. I think the family has purchased every welding book made for my birthday and Christmas. The fabrication book is great for the proper methods of joining metal. Capacities of structural steel, I beams, H beams, High Tensile steel and more. Some great tricks.

Read...Read...Read. But more important that that. Practice...Practice...Practice
My library (bathroom) is a great source of technical literature

ZTFab
02-10-2007, 03:01 PM
MJ, I have all of the books that you mentioned and they are great resources...

...but these "Welding Secrets" books are another story.

First off the title is deceiving as there are no "secrets" to welding, just fundamentals. All of the books you mentioned cover those fundamentals and even get into some advanced techniques and engineering.

From what I have heard/read about them, the "secrets" books tend to be written by people with little or no background in welding and don't provide much useful info.

- Paul

MJDamiani
02-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Paul,
I agree with you 100%, there no secrets in welding. I was just pointing the new guy in the direction of some books containing good information.

Mike

MAC702
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
A few years ago, this site was owned by someone affiliated with someone promoting a book like that (maybe that one?) I gave my comments, and my posts were deleted and I was banned from this site. I guess they wanted to keep it a secret. It was fun, though.

This site is much classier now.

ZTFab
02-10-2007, 09:05 PM
MAC!!!

Nice to see ya back....

Ya, that mess with the previous owner got a little out of hand.

...and you are right, this sight is much classier now...even with zap!! Ha ha ha....

...just kidding zap! :jester: :laugh:

- Paul