PDA

View Full Version : What about a vids Forum?

Jrc347
02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
So what about making a vids forum. I can't seem to find alot of welding videos on the net. Has anyone taken real good videos of a certain welding process before? I prefer tig, because that's what I have. But what if you could take good vids of different processes that people could learn from? I've noticed that welding is a "feel" kind of artform. You can't get the "feel" with words, you have to see what's going on. Can we develop a way to set up a camera to take good video? To me every vid that is taken can be a learing tool (and maybe a little showing off tool). Even if it is a bad (welding technique) vid, people can still learn from it. Would it take up too much bandwitdh on the server? What are some of your thoughts?

Bob at WeldingMag
02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
It's a great idea; videos would need to be provided by members.

We have been talking about it here at WeldingWeb World HQ; it would be easy enough to set up. Right now the main issues are:
1) server space: Vids take up a lot. Some people would simply build links, but others would want to upload the video -- which I believe is an important capability.
2) Priorities: we have a couple other projects of the same magnitude that we're working on, and we need to clear those out of the way first.
3) Money: When we make an investment, we like to know that we can monetize it. With WeldingWeb just starting to gain traction on the business side of the equation, my job is to make sure that investments pay off. Video is hot in media right now, and it's something I'd like to get to soon.

Question: Are any of our members prepared to provide video if we provide space for it?

ZTFab
02-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I'll provide some videos if needed.

...oh wait, you probably want welding videos, huh?

I guess I can still provide some. :laugh:

- Paul

zapster
02-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I guess I could with wog820's help..

...zap!

chopper5
02-15-2007, 07:04 AM
ZT ,zap welding vid's that would rock

wallythacker
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
I think good videos would accelerate this site to the top of the welding heap. Videos are terrific if well done, but I saw some videos on another site;

http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/mig-welding-setup.htm

and was not impressed with them, at all. Really poor detail and instruction. I think his videos do more to confuse a person than they do to help.

You might want to consider collaboration with some manufacturers (Miller/Hobart already seems to be doing their own thing) but Lincoln, HTP, Clarke, TA might like some additional exposure and may even help with bandwidth costs.

Overall, I think you have the best welding site going and videos would only add to that.

MicroZone
02-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Good ideas so far!

Clanweld
02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Checked out that series of videos, shot with no filter. When he strikes up an arc the video is reduced to a bright flare taking up the entire screen. Totally useless. We can do better, right?

zapster
02-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Question: Are any of our members prepared to provide video if we provide space for it?

I will..:cool2:
But it may take awhile..:sleeping:

...zap1

Jrc347
02-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Checked out that series of videos, shot with no filter. When he strikes up an arc the video is reduced to a bright flare taking up the entire screen. Totally useless. We can do better, right?

I know we CAN do better. I've been thinking up ways to mount a digital camera (or vid camera) to a tripod with a filter attatched. Maybe a few of us could play around with different designs and come up with an easy foolproof method of capturing the weld pool.

deadman11699
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I can offer some server space wouldnt be that fast. Im only on a 5mb upload on my server but I just use it for the network server so its not used for a web server right now.

BigMike
02-22-2007, 12:56 PM
You may be able to use Google Video and not have to use any storage space of your own.

Thats what this site does http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/

Mike