PDA

View Full Version : Doh, check the obvious first

wallythacker
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I was driving around (this was before the big snowfalls) and noticed a guy carrying a hood to the trash!

So I stopped and asked to see the hood. It's a Selstrom AD and didn't have a mark on it.

I asked him why he was chucking it and he said it was blurry, like looking through a coke bottle. I held it up to the setting sun and it was blurry, awful really. I figured the cartridge was wonky because the outer clear lens seemed Ok, no spatter. He said he bought it new and used it once.

Anyhow, I took it figuring I'd put a fixed lens in or something. Hey, free, nice headgear, mint shape, why not? I put it in a corner and forgot about it.

Fast forward to last night. I dug it out to plunk in a fixed lens.

I got the cartridge out easily enough, but the clear lens was a milky green. :confused: I held the cartridge to the light and it was crystal clear.

It turns out the clear lens had that thin peel-off protective plastic still on it. No wonder the guy hated the hood and chucked it. :laugh: :waving:

Thank god for idiots.

littlefuzz
02-10-2007, 11:06 PM
lucky you, nice find

Rick Moran
02-10-2007, 11:11 PM
What an idiot. I remember my Mom left the film on the microwave buttons and said something similar. I peeled it off for her and she could believe it was brand new underneath.

Sandy
02-10-2007, 11:32 PM
It turns out the clear lens had that thin peel-off protective plastic still on it. No wonder the guy hated the hood and chucked it.

I watched a guy fussing with the buttons on a digital display once. He couldn't get the time to change. I peeled the sticker (sample time) off. Things were better then. He still hears about it every now and then :laugh: .

wallythacker
02-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Now if I can only find someone stupid enough that bought this:

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/mig_140.html

and is tossing it because it keeps popping the 15a breaker I'd be in heaven.

smithboy
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM
That sticky film can end up being a real problem. I bought a new aluminum screen door that had it on all the annodized surfaces...clear film. I obviously missed the strip down the side where the hinges are...after good long time in use, I noticed these tiny cracks in that part of the door. Turns out, the plastic film had gotten old and was now semi-permenantly (new word for dern hard to remove) stuck to the door and the plastic was starting to crack and come off bit by bit. It's a real pain to remove once it's brittle.

Oh yeah, terrific find Wally. As a lifelong dumpster diver myself, I always appreciate those kinds of stories.

wallythacker
02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Glad I could brighten the day for some of you :)

tresi
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Things like that remind me of my friend that owns a garbage collection service. He had a customer that bought a brand new die hard battery every fall and put the old one beside the trash can. He was just about to tell him that he couldn't put car batteries in the trash until he seen the date on the battery. My friend never bought another battey until that old man gave up driving.

wallythacker
02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Garbage guys get a lot of breaks. One guy I know got two mint 1960 something Fender champs. His buddy got an old Washburn guitar, worth a fair bit of money.

Almost makes me want to ply the trade.

deadman11699
02-17-2007, 11:28 PM
On of the people that live down the street from me threw away a almost brand new lawnmower. So I took it and was going to rip it down and use it for parts that I needed but I did basic checks on. Went to go to check for spark and it had none. Long story made short it hade a oil sensor in the crank case. Filled it with oil and it started first pull. Ran great untill my mom hit the tree stump with it. Some people just don't want to take the time and look at it and call the company and just toss it.

TIGBOY
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Goodfind Deadman.

zapster
02-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Now you don't need the leather mask anymore..:rolleyes: :laugh:

Good snag!

...zap!

deadman11699
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Now you don't need the leather mask anymore..:rolleyes: :laugh:

Good snag!

...zap!

But thats now his trade mark!

12,000 Doors
02-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Half my shop is out of the trash and 3/4 of my house. Never bought a fan, vcr or tv because people throw them out when the fuses inside blow and they usually blow just because somebody spilled beer on it or the cat wizzed on it or something. Fans are the exception though, what they do is hide this little one amp fuse deep down in the guts so that when the fan blade loads up with dust the fan draws more current, blows the fuse and you find yourself the victim of a truly diabolical planned obsolesence and in need of a new fan.

wallythacker
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
New problem.

I guess the hood was parked somewhere dark for a long time. The internal lithium battery discharged. The hood doesn't use external batteries.

Anyhow, I put the hood in the window for a couple of really bright days. That got it working again. Then the battery discharged, again. I think it needs a really good long intense charge.

It's been really gloomy here lately. The hood won't charge from the little sunlight I get. What's the best/brightest lamp I can put in front of the hood to charge the battery? Halogen? Tungsten? Florescent? How many watts would you suggest?

I have a 500 watt halogen worklight but it radiates a lot of heat too. I don't want to fry the AD if I can avoid it.

LSX89RS
03-02-2007, 01:35 AM
New problem.

I guess the hood was parked somewhere dark for a long time. The internal lithium battery discharged. The hood doesn't use external batteries.

Anyhow, I put the hood in the window for a couple of really bright days. That got it working again. Then the battery discharged, again. I think it needs a really good long intense charge.

It's been really gloomy here lately. The hood won't charge from the little sunlight I get. What's the best/brightest lamp I can put in front of the hood to charge the battery? Halogen? Tungsten? Florescent? How many watts would you suggest?

I have a 500 watt halogen worklight but it radiates a lot of heat too. I don't want to fry the AD if I can avoid it.
i bet the bright blue light will charge it:p

wallythacker
03-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I think you're right but I'll be seeing a lot of stars until it does :cry:

But you gave me a good idea. Use my other AD and park my dead Selstrom in range of the arc to charge it up. :p