PDA

View Full Version : Clarke 180EN questions

DenisMcG
02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Denis and I am a novice welder. Over the past number of years, I have had several items that have required welding. On each occasion, I have taken the item to a professional and have marvelled at the artistry and functionality of the process. Since I have always wanted to learn, and the fact that I am a car nut (lots of bodywork etc), I figured that I should just go ahead and buy a welder. I researched for months, and finally settled on the Clarke. It was a good combination of price, capability, and owner satisfaction. All this to say. For those of you who own the 180EN, could you provide some setting information for various thickness of metal. I am currently just using the flux-core wire that came with the welder. Once I burn that up with my practicing, I will attempt to find some gas and try gas welding. I still don't even know where I would get the bottles and gas (rural Nova Scotia).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dipper Welder64
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the clarke but I'm sure they included setting's in the operators manual.

DenisMcG
02-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, there are suggested settings, but I was more interested in real world settings that others may me using.

cricman
02-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey Dennis,

I used my 180En this summer to weld some hunting tripod stands. I was joining 14ga square tubing (did I mention that they were over-engineered?) If I recall correctly, I was set to the "B" voltage setting and about 3-3/4 on the WFS. I use CO2 for shielding gas (25cfm). The settings passed my preliminary BIGA**HAMMER tests, and I would guess conservatively that they could support up to 450 static pounds (that includes each individual rung on the ladder leg!) Get some scrap and do some testing, based on the suggestions in the manual. It's good practice and will give you some good feedback concerning your settings.

good luck,

cricman

littlefuzz
02-12-2007, 01:57 AM
With the FCW you'll probably run a little slower wire speed than cricman runs.

cricman
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I forgot one thing,...I have the switch set to "max". I'll let you know how I end up setting it for the front bumper I am going to make for my truck. I'm going to be using a mix of 14 gauge square, 11 gauge square, 14 gauge tread plate, and 1/4 inch (beveled) for the primary brackets.

cricman

DenisMcG
02-12-2007, 11:07 PM
cricman,

Thanks a lot. I am just getting started and am practicing laying beads and sticking metal together. This evening I gave a try at 18 guage sheet metal. I blew a few holes through it till I got the wire speed right. I also found it better to push rather than pull. I look forward to your comments with your new build.

Denis