PDA

View Full Version : Suitcase welder Question

katana1150
02-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Ok Here it goes!
I have a Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase wire feeder that I power off of my Ranger8. I have been playing around with this thing at home a couple of times and it seems to work ok but I got it second hand from a fellow that I worked with so it didnít come with a operators manual so Iím kinda running blind here. First question is, does anyone know of a website that has an online manual for this wire feeder?

Second this feeder has a switch for CC and CV and since my ranger8 didnít come with a remote contactor but does have a setting for CV on the selector switch Iím not sure what setting to run it on. The feeder seems to work ok on either setting but Iím sure that there is a setting that it is supposed to be set at!

Is anyone familiar with this wire feeder? If so any info you could give me would be a great help. Thanks!

migman
02-12-2007, 04:04 AM
www.hobartwelders.com

migman
02-12-2007, 04:05 AM
look at the top of the page and you will see owners manuals

katana1150
02-12-2007, 08:02 AM
www.hobartwelders.com

I tried the hobart website and there was nothing there that helped me. My feeder is too old and there is no manual online. I found a site that may have them but they want $50 for it just to find out! so I decided not to go with them.

smithboy
02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
This suitcase isn't supported by hobart anymore, I don't think. I have the same one and have never found a manual for the hobart. However, Thermal Arc has a cc/cv hefty that looks pretty close to identical. They may be able to help you. Does your hefty have a contactor?

Set both the welder and the feeder to CV. Hook your sensing clamp to the ground clamp from the welder. Hook the ground to the workpiece. Clamp your work clamp (stinger) onto the power input for your feeder (or, preferably, bolt the feeder cable to the work terminal). Then you just need to adjust wire speed at the suitcase and amperage at the welder.

denrep
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
One of the features of the suitcase was to allow wire welding using a CC power source.

This was made possible by automatically varying the wire feed speed when in CC mode.

In CV, the wire feeds at a steady preset rate.

katana1150
02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
This suitcase isn't supported by hobart anymore, I don't think. I have the same one and have never found a manual for the hobart. However, Thermal Arc has a cc/cv hefty that looks pretty close to identical. They may be able to help you. Does your hefty have a contactor?.

Yes it does have a contactor ie: the wire is not hot untill the trigger is depressed. (at least that is what I'm thinking what you mean by a contactor)
That is what I understand as well.....Hobart was purchased by someone and my feeder isn't supported by them now!
Thermal Arc! hummm I think I will give them a try, maybe they have a manual that will work! Thanks

[

katana1150
02-12-2007, 05:13 PM
One of the features of the suitcase was to allow wire welding using a CC power source.

This was made possible by automatically varying the wire feed speed when in CC mode.

In CV, the wire feeds at a steady preset rate.

That is what I was wondering! Without a manual I don't know if I should run the feeder in cc mode or cv mode! It would be a no-brainer if all I had was a CC power source. Since my ranger8 has a setting for cv but no contactor plug (I think that is what I mean) I'm assuming that I should set the switch inside the feeder to cc. However I have noticed that I get more amperage from the ranger when I set the selector to cv(on the ranger). I know this only because the 18hp engine seems to work harder when in cv mode.

the main reason I ask this is I don't want to damage my ranger or the hobart feeder. I'm concerned that I may be doing some damage if I operate them incorrectly!

David R
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Like stated above. Set Ranger on CV and feeder on CV. They will work together. Voltage is set at the ranger on the Fine knob and wire speed is set on the hobart. I have used one of those and they work fine.

David

smithboy
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Hobart was SORTA purchased...They still make welders. They just don't do the BIG industrial welders anymore. The rights to that part of the business belongs to someone else now. Hobart focuses on the sub 300-ish amp welders now. These feeders went out the door with the bigger welders...at least that's what I was told. I have a couple of old hobart feeders...the hefty cv/cc and the port-a-wire. Both still work like a top even though they are (I think) 80's vintage.

katana1150
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Like stated above. Set Ranger on CV and feeder on CV. They will work together. Voltage is set at the ranger on the Fine knob and wire speed is set on the hobart. I have used one of those and they work fine.

David

Thanks for confirming that dave!:waving: I'll rest a little easier knowing that I'll not damage things with those settings:)

I think I'll go out and burn up some more wire for fun!:laugh:

WStocker
02-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Ok Here it goes!
I have a Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase wire feeder that I power off of my Ranger8. I have been playing around with this thing at home a couple of times and it seems to work ok but I got it second hand from a fellow that I worked with so it didnít come with a operators manual so Iím kinda running blind here. First question is, does anyone know of a website that has an online manual for this wire feeder?

Second this feeder has a switch for CC and CV and since my ranger8 didnít come with a remote contactor but does have a setting for CV on the selector switch Iím not sure what setting to run it on. The feeder seems to work ok on either setting but Iím sure that there is a setting that it is supposed to be set at!

Is anyone familiar with this wire feeder? If so any info you could give me would be a great help. Thanks!
this link will get you the manual for only $15.00 https://www.hobartwelders.com/owners_manual/order_oldmanuals.php

WStocker
02-04-2010, 04:14 AM
I have hefty cc/cv powered by a bobcat 225 and works great, when in the field I use flex core on windy days and argon/ co2 when low wind or in side building, just like Dave R. said , cv setting and you will be find.

hope the link helps. Wenzell

JLE-ENT.
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Hate to pipe in on an older thread, but thought I'd mention that you get a more stable arc with Constant Voltage as well....

TozziWelding
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I have 2 Hefty's and I beat them daily, just set the machine to CV as well as the feeder and you are good to go. I have run them off my old SA-250 on CC and they do great with the right wire in them for heavy jobs.