PDA

View Full Version : more extension ????

dirtracer27x
02-23-2007, 12:37 AM
ok im having a similiar problem.i have taken what you guys have said and have gone to lowes and purchased some 10/3(25ft) and receptacles.but when i got home i found out that the dryer uses a type of 4 prong plug.heres the link to what it looks like.this plug has 4 wires and my 175hd only has 3 as well as my cord i bought.what do i do with the other wire?lol im confused.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...rs/220cord.jpg
how do i wire it up since there is 4 prongs? like i said im not a electrician,or a smart man.
i will go to lowes tommorow and try to find the right plug.thanks for the help.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k318/mccraryfloors/220cord.jpg

Sandy
02-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Let's take it one piece at a time I guess. You bought a plug and receptacle that match the welder which is likely the 6-50 configuration, right? and then some 3 wire SO cord.

We'll say the SO has a black, white and a green, holler if it isn't. The 6-50 receptacle (female) has two straight slots and a round. The black will connect to one straight slot, the white will connect to the other straight slot and the green will go to the round slot. This will create the receptacle that will mate with your welder plug.

If you want to then plug into your existing dryer receptacle with the matching plug, then that is the one you will need to purchase, correct? :)

If so, then you will then connect the black to one straight blade (let's say right side), the white wire to the other straight blade (on the left) and the green to the round pole. The L shaped pole remains empty. Or in many cases these are buildable whereby you could simply pull out the L pole and leave that position with no pole at all.

dirtracer27x
02-23-2007, 01:50 AM
ok now that makes more sense.i was not sure about the 4th post.
the plug i posted is what is in my wall for the dryer,it is a 30 amp breaker also.that was what i wasnt sure about.the plugs going to the welder are pretty easy.the plug i bought is even marked what color goes where.
will it matter if i switch the two on the flat post for the dryer plug?

oh also the plug also gave me two post one for 30 amp(wider post),and one for 50 amp(narrow post).which should i use?

Sandy
02-23-2007, 02:24 AM
will it matter if i switch the two on the flat post for the dryer plug?

Nah, they aren't unique in any way. Just two hot leads.

oh also the plug also gave me two post one for 30 amp(wider post),and one for 50 amp(narrow post).which should i use?

You know I've done both. The concept, if followed, is to prevent you from plugging a 50 amp device into a 30 amp receptacle. Wide blade won't fit into a narrow slot, that kind of thing. That safety factor is based on full load and continuous duty. Just verify what the slot width is in reality that you need to fit into and go with that.

dirtracer27x
02-23-2007, 11:05 PM
just wanted to thank you for the help,got my lincoln up and running this morning:waving: .now i just need to finish up the race car before my season starts.:blush2: