highest paid welders - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 151 to 163 of 163
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bossier Parish La.
    Posts
    5,583

    Re: highest paid welders

    [QUOTE=DJ Roling;6906251. So what process do you need to have learned to be paid the most as a welder? Is it Mig Tig Arc or Flux?[/QUOTE]

    All of them to have the best chance of making the big $$$. Need to be proficient with every process, not just one in particular.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    919

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Roling View Post
    As a welding student and using the subject of welding for my senior project research paper, when I googled "What process of welding pays the most?" and when it gave me this post I was surprised because it does not say what is the highest paid welder. So what process do you need to have learned to be paid the most as a welder? Is it Mig Tig Arc or Flux?
    I repeat, all of them..and know how to layout and fit up structural and pipe.. Welding is the last step in fabricating anything. You need to know all!
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

  3. #153

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by MilSpec1 View Post
    Here's a question; generally who are the highest paid welders in the industry? I know there are lot of ways to answer that question but just wondering if you guys who in the industry have an idea. For example; would it be small welding shop owners making the most compared to TIG, MIG or SMAW welders working in auto, oil or pipeline industry. Maybe building construction welders, etc.

    Who usually pulls in the most dough for making an arc and putting stuff together?
    I think the highest paid welders will also need to be competent fitters and skilled fabricators. No employer is going to pay anyone big bucks to only be good at welding.

    I think the ones that will make the most $$ will own a small/medium sized fab shop who specialize in whatever they can find that is in high demand with relatively low competition. The downfall to this is that you can't always just clock in and make steady money. You have to be self-driven. Keep the shop overhead low and you'll see the majority of your hourly shop/labor rate go in your pocket. Income taxes suck on small businesses though...

    In my case, there are very few people locally that can proficiently TIG weld aluminum. So that is a huge plus for me. Find your niche.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    220

    Re: highest paid welders

    Pipelines and mining are where welders makes the most.
    And they have to be very good at all processes, fab and problem solving. And have certs. In Canada anyways

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,533

    Re: highest paid welders

    i'm a maintenance welder/fabricator using the stick process 98% of the time. a typical week will involve making new railings for the loading dock to welding a threadolet on a condensate tank in the mer with the next project fabricating gates for non contact visits. after waiting 6 years for a raise my pay went from 50. to 63. per hour with the usual fringe package of holidays,vacation and health, pension and annuity.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    4,544

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    63. per hour with the usual fringe package of holidays,vacation and health, pension and annuity.
    !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.


  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    917

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i'm a maintenance welder/fabricator using the stick process 98% of the time. a typical week will involve making new railings for the loading dock to welding a threadolet on a condensate tank in the mer with the next project fabricating gates for non contact visits. after waiting 6 years for a raise my pay went from 50. to 63. per hour with the usual fringe package of holidays,vacation and health, pension and annuity.
    Hey Dock Worker!
    How have you been?

    Tell your union we need them out here on the west coast.
    Our shipping terminals have been pretty empty since the longshoreman took one too many strikes over pay and Hanjin pulled out of shipping to Portland ALL TOGETHER.
    I live on a houseboat right up from one of the terminals. It's a ghost town. There's some work but no where near like before.
    Instead of striking to get higher pay and everything else they wanted all at once I think they went on strike 3 or more separate times to get additional stuff.
    Portland lost soo much business over it.
    “I'm going to do the thing that God put Galen Beasley on this Earth to do:
    Have Salon quality hair and weld.
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    971-204-3444 cell
    API ASME Structural NDT and Repair

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,533

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by galencwi View Post
    Hey Dock Worker!
    How have you been?

    Tell your union we need them out here on the west coast.
    Our shipping terminals have been pretty empty since the longshoreman took one too many strikes over pay and Hanjin pulled out of shipping to Portland ALL TOGETHER.
    I live on a houseboat right up from one of the terminals. It's a ghost town. There's some work but no where near like before.
    Instead of striking to get higher pay and everything else they wanted all at once I think they went on strike 3 or more separate times to get additional stuff.
    Portland lost soo much business over it.
    galen; no can do buddy. we're shorthanded right here. we got 3 major bridge jobs going on plus the usual everyday work. no need to travel when the work is 10 miles away. keep posting those awesome shipyard pics tho.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: highest paid welders

    I'm a job shop guy. No way I'd weld all day. 3 idiots here for $180/hr total plus profit on iron, fasteners etc.The guys make $16/hr(4x the average here). Not bad for the "third world". About the same as making $50/hr in Poo Yawk Shiddy
    Trailer one day, BBQ another. Carts in stainless for a big horse vet operation next week.
    Bumpers, roof racks, hand rails, security bars, columns, the occasional spiral.Repair an iron manifold, fix a driveshaft,press bearings. Whatever. We have fun. That's the important part of it all

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    917

    Re: highest paid welders

    Dockwelder. I am done working in the shipyard. I left in June. I'm working for myself now.
    Willing to travel for work if pay is good.
    Please shoot me a pm if I can work over there.
    I'd love to be working in New York area.
    Thanks!!
    “I'm going to do the thing that God put Galen Beasley on this Earth to do:
    Have Salon quality hair and weld.
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    971-204-3444 cell
    API ASME Structural NDT and Repair

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,533

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by galencwi View Post
    Dockwelder. I am done working in the shipyard. I left in June. I'm working for myself now.
    Willing to travel for work if pay is good.
    Please shoot me a pm if I can work over there.
    I'd love to be working in New York area.
    Thanks!!
    galen; pm sent with particulars.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,533

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I'm a job shop guy. No way I'd weld all day. 3 idiots here for $180/hr total plus profit on iron, fasteners etc.The guys make $16/hr(4x the average here). Not bad for the "third world". About the same as making $50/hr in Poo Yawk Shiddy
    Trailer one day, BBQ another. Carts in stainless for a big horse vet operation next week.
    Bumpers, roof racks, hand rails, security bars, columns, the occasional spiral.Repair an iron manifold, fix a driveshaft,press bearings. Whatever. We have fun. That's the important part of it all
    bozo; don't break out the kleenex for me here in new york city because i'm doing just fine.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    650

    Re: highest paid welders

    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Right now, working 6/10's (the typical week), a pipeline welder will gross $4000 per week not including the benefit package. Only around $2900 of that is taxable income.

    The breakdown is $41/hr on the man, $15/hr on the rig, 41.50/day per diem, plus a benefit package (insurance, pension) of $16.70.

    Quite a bit of work in Texas and the surrounding area over the next few years

    JTMcC.
    I thought everything except the pension portion of your compensation is taxable and your business/equipment expenses go against that, can you break that down a little more?

    Is the typical pipeline welder you cite treated as an employee or contractor?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement