Solvent/hand cleaner allergy? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,274

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Thanks for your info, but at this point, it's too late for prevention. I'll try the balm. Have, already, seen a PA, who prescribed a cortisone ointment that was moderately effective. Info on the web offers various home remedies, none of which appear to have lasting effects. Doctors seem to just Rx cortisone. Hoping I'll find someone with the definitive answer.
    hard to believe a real medical dr., would go book an appointment w/ a physicians assistant. a real dr. would already know how to approach a rash on his own hand/ or not let it happen to begin w/, and if he didn't, he'd walk down the hall from his own office at lunch time, and slap his hand on the counter of his dr. friend down the hall, at which time, the dr. friend would, reach in his free sample drawer, and give you a handful of stuff to put on it. that is how dr;s do it. a real dr. would'nt go sit in a waiting room to see a physicians assistant, then come here to let a couple blue collar worker/welders lead him around, as you've done. besides, a real eye dr. would be washing his hands all day long between seeing patients from room to room. very strange

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    hard to believe a real medical dr., would go book an appointment w/ a physicians assistant. a real dr. would already know how to approach a rash on his own hand/ or not let it happen to begin w/, and if he didn't, he'd walk down the hall from his own office at lunch time, and slap his hand on the counter of his dr. friend down the hall, at which time, the dr. friend would, reach in his free sample drawer, and give you a handful of stuff to put on it. that is how dr;s do it. a real dr. would'nt go sit in a waiting room to see a physicians assistant, then come here to let a couple blue collar worker/welders lead him around, as you've done. besides, a real eye dr. would be washing his hands all day long between seeing patients from room to room. very strange
    Touche'

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    No cortisone BS. No aloe vera( worse).No types of tinctures.
    Coconut oil. Pure.Have a try at it.It's amazing.Get an oatmeal based hippie soap from one of the "organic" joints and use that to wash for a few days.Himalaya makes one too and a good shampoo.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,934

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    No cortisone BS. No aloe vera( worse).No types of tinctures.
    Coconut oil. Pure.Have a try at it.It's amazing.Get an oatmeal based hippie soap from one of the "organic" joints and use that to wash for a few days.Himalaya makes one too and a good shampoo.
    Wow, a thread dead for over 10 years, brought back and now, the first good answer.

    Coconut oil (the real deal cold-pressed, NOT MCT liquid) is indeed good stuff, but no single oil* is better than the right blend.
    *some of the best "oils" are actually wax esters

    I have PMLE (I'm allergic to the sun), and deal with itchy dry skin on a regular basis (way more so than most people). If I allow my skin (in certain places) to dry out for even just a few hours, it may take months to undo the damage, so I take skin treatments quite seriously. I have been prescribed corticosteriod cream/ointments from mild enough to use anywhere every day (still about 50x as powerful as OTC cortisone) to so strong that if you manage to use up a tube in a week it could have deadly consequences from discontinuance (I generally dispose of half full tubes a few years after they expire, to give an idea of how far I stretch this stuff). Topical corticosteroids have their uses. They're anything but BS, but like antibiotics, are often overused in situations when they won't help. However, they're also quite necessary when inflammation has taken over, where no amount of the best moisturizer is enough.

    Now, want to make your coconut oil way better? Warm it till it melts, and mix it 50/50 with jojoba oil. It will cool to a cloudy yellowish mixture that turns into a slushy in cooler weather (without settling out though), but is rather liquid in warmer weather, and moisturizes far better than either component alone. It soaks in faster, and sticks around longer too.

    My current mix, which stays more liquid in the winter, contains coconut oil, crisco shortening, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, lanolin, and tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E oil) (NOT in equal proportions). Add a little menthol, and you've got an awesome liquid roll-on lip balm too.
    Last edited by rlitman; 01-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    575

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 65
Size:  13.7 KB

    Good Gawd…..now we're runnin' a beauty college.


  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Western New York State, USA
    Posts
    1,825

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    for removing many oils, grease, paint, tar products try baby oil
    .
    obviously its not made to be harsh on a baby's skin.
    .
    its mostly mineral oil very thin not quite mineral spirits as thin oil dries much slower. it surprisingly works pretty good at removing many things that would dissolve with mineral spirits. some has some perfume mixed in but normally it has no smell.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,934

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Mineral oil (the laxative) is the same thing without the baby scent. And it doesn’t dry at all. I use mineral oil on my butcher block countertops.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    68

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 65
Size:  13.7 KB

    Good Gawd…..now we're runnin' a beauty college.

    Yea sure.show up stinkin like a call girl and those guys will ��NEVER let you live it down. One thing for sure you will get your 5 minutes of fame and then some.
    When it comes to barrier creams I recall the Airforce used to have something the mechanics used. Something like liquid gloves oe a similar name. I got some years back from Aircraft Spruce & Spevialty co. They still sell online. That stuff of course wasn’t a real glove substitute but it plugged up the pores and kept the nasties from soaking in. When I washed my hands everything pretty much fell right off. Here it is here, might help with contact allergy issues
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3009669
    Last edited by driz; 01-28-2019 at 02:18 PM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    68

    Re: Solvent/hand cleaner allergy?

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 65
Size:  13.7 KB

    Good Gawd…..now we're runnin' a beauty college.

    Yea sure.show up stinkin like a call girl and those guys will 🙈NEVER let you live it down. One thing for sure you will get your 5 minutes of fame and then some.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement