Finally finished.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Finally finished.

Finally had some garage time so I put the bender project on the front burner and IT'S DONE!

Re: Finally finished.

Put a real long tube in it and eventually You'll "wrap up" the neighborhood!!

Great job!!

You get the "Homemade Gadget Of The Week" award!!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

I like it! Is that HUGGER ORANGE?

Great Job, What paint did you use to spray it?
    -Clarke 130EN
    -Miller MaxStar 150STL
    -Miller Elite 29' Roadster

We call it "Competition Orange"

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

I can't take credit for the design, I got the plans off the web. If anyone is interested the web addy is www.gottrikes.com . The paint was actually selected by the wife. She made the trip to the store, she got to pick the color. It's just rustoleum orange but I was amazed at how well it matched the color of the jack. I probably would have chose blue.... FORD blue!
    Thanks for your kind words, this site keeps me motivated

Quote Originally Posted by zapster
    Put a real long tube in it and eventually You'll "wrap up" the neighborhood!!

Great job!!

You get the "Homemade Gadget Of The Week" award!!

...zap!
    What do I win?
    Yea Zap... that's about $15 worth of DOM i wasted too.

I probably would have chose blue.... FORD blue!

Yes!

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

verry cool.
    i'm planing one of them soon as well, i plan on using an air powerd jack though and will use the jack for a log spliter plan also so it will be interchangable. at $90 a pop for the jack i figure i better get as much use as i can out of it.

summer is here, plant a tree for mother earth. if you dont have time or space, sponcer some one else to plant one for you.

feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail me at [email]james@newyorkmetalart.com i got lots of time.

Great job...I just finished cutting all my frame pieces for my bender yesterday. One question...my flat bar that I got is 3" instead of 2 1/2" as the plans call for. Do you think 3" would work or should I go ahead and cut it down? Also, did you drill your holes or have them drilled?
    MM175 MIG
    Cutmaster 38 Plasma
    Craftsman 30gal compressor
    4x6 HF bandsaw
    1hp HF floor drill press
    Ryobi Cutoff Saw
    Assorted grinders
    Not enough time

the paint looks a lot like the Persian Orange on my Allis Chalmers Model B

Quote Originally Posted by MUDBUG
    Great job...I just finished cutting all my frame pieces for my bender yesterday. One question...my flat bar that I got is 3" instead of 2 1/2" as the plans call for. Do you think 3" would work or should I go ahead and cut it down? Also, did you drill your holes or have them drilled?
    I think you could use the 3" for the die puller you would just adjust the extra 1/2" to the front. If I had to do another one I think I would use 3/16" square tube as it would make the drill press work much easier, The 7/8" holes are very close to wall of the 1/4" wall tube as you drill and the bit tries to walk. Start with a small pilot hole and work up to to size. The only work i couldn't do was the 1" holes, had a local guy do it.

thnx PJ
    Last edited by PJ1; 04-20-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now.
    verry cool.
    i'm planing one of them soon as well, i plan on using an air powerd jack though and will use the jack for a log spliter plan also so it will be interchangable. at $90 a pop for the jack i figure i better get as much use as i can out of it.
    I actually have a pneumatic/ hydraulic jack in the garage but the bottom mount is not correct, I am trying to source another one that will work. The manual jack is a cheap harbor freight one and is still really easy to use. Maybe I'll try to cut the bottom off the jack I have and rotate it 90*. I may destroy the jack but I don't have a use for it anyway.

thnx PJ

Great looking bender, where'd you score your dies from?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1
    I think you could use the 3" for the die puller you would just adjust the extra 1/2" to the front. If I had to do another one I think I would use 3/16" square tube as it would make the drill press work much easier, The 7/8" holes are very close to wall of the 1/4" wall tube as you drill and the bit tries to walk. Start with a small pilot hole and work up to to size. The only work i couldn't do was the 1" holes, had a local guy do it.

thnx PJ
    3/16" would have been alot easier to work with...and cheaper too! I assumed they spec'd out 1/4" due to the forces generated when bending tubing...but heck, I'm no engineer...lol. Did you get your pins and such from the recommended sources?
    MM175 MIG
    Cutmaster 38 Plasma
    Craftsman 30gal compressor
    4x6 HF bandsaw
    1hp HF floor drill press
    Ryobi Cutoff Saw
    Assorted grinders
    Not enough time

Got one of those in the works as well. Im gonna make a new plate for the bottom of my air/hyd jack. Ill let you all know how it works out. All pieces are cut and drilled. I still need to order the die set. What do you all think would be a good starting size?
    Various Grinders
    Victor Journeyman torch
    200cf Acet. 250cf oxygen
    Lincoln 175 plus/alpha2 gun
    Lincoln v205t tig
    Lincoln 350mp
    Esab 650 plasma
    When you can get up in the morning, Its a good day.
    Live each day like its your last.

The shoes that the bender uses are all made for pro-tools mechanical bender, www.pro-tools.com . I have kinda done the math on the forces generated by the hydraulic jack and can say that 3/16" material would still be way more than required. The shoes I bought first are 1 1/2" with a 4 1/2" radius, I wish I had known to buy the 240* shoes in order to bend a full 180* and more. I believe that the HD bender plans call for the pro-tools 105B dies. I ordered the regular 105 dies and they work ok. I think the difference may be that the bottom shoe for the 105B is wider. Either way if you order dies get the 240* versions

Roger that. I havent welded anything yet, and wont until I see what the dies look like. Thanks for the tip.
    Various Grinders
    Victor Journeyman torch
    200cf Acet. 250cf oxygen
    Lincoln 175 plus/alpha2 gun
    Lincoln v205t tig
    Lincoln 350mp
    Esab 650 plasma
    When you can get up in the morning, Its a good day.
    Live each day like its your last.

Just curious, how much did the entire project set you back without dies? I'm tossing up just making one, or picking up a JD2. The only thing I don't like about the proform bender or benders that use their dies, are they they're priced comparatively high.

The thing I didn't like about the mechanical benders was that they had to be mounted solid to the floor. A friend of mine has one and it takes some biceps to bend large tubing, it's not as easy as the guy in the video makes it look. I wanted to be able to throw it in the truck and take it to other locations, although it is very heavy and it would take 2 well fed guys to get it in a pickup. The cost I guess is around $450 not including consumables etc with 1 set of shoes.

i'm going to make an atempt at fabricating my own dies, first with wood backed in steel then if it works and i can get some $$ comming in i'll buy a small metal lath and make some the right way.
    seems like you could make them a lot cheaper than they sell them for.

summer is here, plant a tree for mother earth. if you dont have time or space, sponcer some one else to plant one for you.

feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail me at [email]james@newyorkmetalart.com i got lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1
    The thing I didn't like about the mechanical benders was that they had to be mounted solid to the floor. A friend of mine has one and it takes some biceps to bend large tubing, it's not as easy as the guy in the video makes it look. I wanted to be able to throw it in the truck and take it to other locations, although it is very heavy and it would take 2 well fed guys to get it in a pickup. The cost I guess is around $450 not including consumables etc with 1 set of shoes.
    Same here, unless you go with the air/hydraulic setup. $450 isn't too bad, and I'm assuming the jack is part of that price?

good job i got mine done this week too i put air/hydraulic on mine

Chuck
    ASME Pressure Vessel welder