rewiring foot pedal
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

rewiring foot pedal

hi,i am new here i am trying to get some info on rewiring a foot pedal, i have a 4 pin foot pedal and i am wondering if any body knows if you can change it to a 14 pin plug:for a dynasty 200dx

Re: rewiring foot pedal

Ebay it and buying a different pedal is an option. What model is your pedal?

All foot pedals are not created equal beyond the plug.

The Dynasty 200DX requires a 1K ohm, 2watt potentiometer type foot control such as the RFCS-14. Which one exactly is yours?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I would be willing to bet anything with a variable resistor between 500 ohms and 10,000 ohms would would work just fine... remember, the foot pedal drives a simple voltage divider circuit. You can't get much simplier.. We're talking milliamps here, not much current... Most machines work 0 to 5 volt reference. I'm guessing most modern foot pedals have either 1000 or 5K ohm variable resistors in them.

Note: this is NOT true for some of the old stuff that is out there. Generally, any welder with a microprocessor controller will be fine. Old skool stuff, no way.

zip.

hi, and thank you all ! the foot pedal i have came with a everlast 256 i got it has as i said a 4 pin plug, thats all i know about it. i was hoping not to have to buy another pedal

Can anyone recommend where to take this foot pedal to get it rewired?
    Last edited by flash; 05-28-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Can anyone recommend where to take this foot pedal to get it rewired?
    Er... Your garage. If you can't solder, you probably shouldn't be welding. To weld safely, you will need some understanding of how electricity works. Take a few minutes to study up on the basics a bit. There is a lot of good stuff on the web.

There is a schematic of a generic pedal at http://www.arc-zone.com/pdf/Remote_A...ol_HotFoot.pdf, see page 2 . I'm guessing your pedal has five different wires connected to four terminals at the hardshell connector.. I'm thinking two wires are soldered to one pin. If you have five wires, you are good. If not five wires, you could rewire the whole thing.

Have you looked at your owners manual? You can download a copy at http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2240af_mil.pdf

Look closely at RC1 on page 62. Look closely at pins A B C D E G and K. Note how G K and D are wired together at ground? Thats a hint when the pedal is not depressed the resistance between Pins D and E is zero ohms.

You will end up soldering wires to pins A B C D E... You will have to find the mating connector to your machine.

This job will require a Volt Ohm Meter. You an use that to verify you are wired correctly....

You are welcome to come by my house, we can get you fixed up in no time.

Hint, hint. Place your location on your profile... Many folks here are happy to lend a hand to a new guy who is trying to learn.

So no, I don't know who you should bring it to.

Thank you sir, that helps a lot!!!
    I am in Indianapolis in not to far from the motor city...

Hey zipzit, I was wondering if I sent you my pedal and the 14 pin plug could you wire it ?
    I would be happy to pay you for your time.....