IS THERE A GOOD WORKING 115volt MIG OUT THERE?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IS THERE A GOOD WORKING 115volt MIG OUT THERE?

Before I make another bad investment, please voice your opinions on what, if any, 115volt mig welders really are able to weld 1/8" - 3/16" mild steel in a single pass with great penetration. I made the mistake of buying a piece of sh*t brand before that was useless. I forget the brand name, but it was a 130amp brand that Snap-On was selling at one time. It was totally inadequate. Some people say that Hobart makes the best 115volt migs, and that Lincoln Welders are inferior and over-priced to the Hobart. Miller is a tad expensive also, unless you guys know where to get one cheap. Any ideas?

Re: IS THERE A GOOD WORKING 115volt MIG OUT THERE?

You get what you pay for. I do not own a dedicated 110v machine but, I do have a MMDVI that can be used on 110v. If the miller MM140 welds anything like my DVI does on 110v, I would be quite happy with it.

I have a hobart handler 140. I run .023 wire, and 25/75 mig mix, and the thickest Ive welded with it is 1/8" mild steel on the highest setting. It does a really good job of it. I dont doubt that it will do 3/16", but a bigger wire might be in order at that point.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Handler 140
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
    E-Z Tube Bender
    Plasma Cam DHC2

Thanks guys!

Qucifer, that's the machine I have my eyes on at this point. Thanks for reaffirming it for me that it's a good choice.

I understand that you get what you pay for, and I'm not a tight-wad... but spending around $425.00 for the Hobart makes much more sense than paying around $725.00 for the Miller. The Miller can't outperform $300.00/worth over the Hobart I'm sure.

I bought an SP 100 for $850 when they first came out. Still got it, Still use it. LOTS of 10 lb spools have gone trough it. Had it 20 years. Can ya beat that?

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

i used a buddy's Lincoln Sp 135 for awhile with flux core before i bought a welder it was a good lil machine i think it all comes down to the grade of parts they use in the machine ive seen quit a few of the Hobart's around but never used one
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

Lincoln SP 135 is a GREAT machine. I welded up to 1/4" material with that in one pass with .030/.035 innershield with a 1/16" open root and 3/16" no bevel closed root without a problem although the machine was MAXED out and duty cycle would kick on after about 12" of continuous weld and would need several minutes to cool down. Ran that thing all day long on 16g steel without any problems.
    Last edited by WelderBoy; 08-19-2007 at 07:08 PM.

I'll have to take another look at the Lincoln products too! Thanks!

I have a MM135, .023, CO2... not sure of what it'll weld in one pass, but gets lots of use from either the generator or plugged into the wall. No complaints here with it

I have an old miller. Its been a great machine and has welder a lot over the 15 years or so I have had it. I have tried the licolns as well and thought they worked pretty good. I myself for what its worth would get the miller MM140. I have had to good of luck with the millers and had to many problems with the lincolns, but that just my luck though. I will say I have a older lincoln SP100 pro at work and its a kick a$$ machine and would use it over any lincoln SP135 newer model.
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

1/8 inch steel, single pass? Yeah, the 115/120V machines can do it. But you are usually talking FCAW and you will be -near- the machine's max capacity for single-pass and the duty cycle will be kicking in pretty quickly.

Those class machines can do a little thicker, but not a whole lot. And there you are going to be doing multi-pass, and still running into the duty-cycle limits. FCAW will get you better thickness capacity than GMAW.

Note that I'm not saying you can't GMAW 1/8 inch steel with the little 115V machines, just that you are stretching the machine's capabilities a little.

Those thicknesses are sort of near the upper-end of the capabilities of the 115V machines, and you might want to consider stepping up to the 240V machines (the 175/180/187 class machines). The SP175, PM180, HH187, MM180, etc, etc.

I've blow-thru 1/8 steel with a Lincoln 115V machine and 0.035 FCAW when the joint fit was a little 'loose', so the machine has enough ooomph for that. But I liked the final weld better on 1/8 inch butt welds when I ran a pass on both sides, this way I had nicely convex beads top and bottom. On 1/8 inch lap welds, the top edge melted in nicely and the puddle fused into the bottom piece OK as well. All 0.035 Innershield FCAW wire.

One of Lincoln's flux-core machines sounds like what you are looking for.

I have the Weld-Pak 100, and it works great for the sizes you mentioned.

If you don't need a gas welder, then don't mess with it, just go FCAW.

KRS
    Lincoln AC225 stick welder
    Lincoln HD100 WeldPak flux core wire feed welder
    Three of the cheapest grinders money can buy

I'd love to hear more on the weld-pak 100 review.

Anyone else has it and is satisfied/not satisfied with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-Beast
    Before I make another bad investment, please voice your opinions on what, if any, 115volt mig welders really are able to weld 1/8" - 3/16" mild steel in a single pass with great penetration. I made the mistake of buying a piece of sh*t brand before that was useless. I forget the brand name, but it was a 130amp brand that Snap-On was selling at one time. It was totally inadequate. Some people say that Hobart makes the best 115volt migs, and that Lincoln Welders are inferior and over-priced to the Hobart. Miller is a tad expensive also, unless you guys know where to get one cheap. Any ideas?
    There's nothing inferior about Hobart, Miller or Lincoln and probably some others. They are all perfectly fine, You are stretching a bit with 3/16" material on a 120 VAC machine. You could maybe go up a notch and get a 220 VAC machine and then do larger material more easily. .

Using Fluxcore as mentioned by other posters will help. You could also do what I do, run straight C02 which gives a great deal of penetration with inexpensive gas.

The sellers on eBay, particularly Indiana Oxygen (IOC) have very good prices. I would avoid cheap, foreign machines since they break more often and parts and service are non-existant.
    Last edited by gnm109; 08-21-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

About 10 years ago I bought a Miller goldstar 130 amp from Northern and it has served me well. I agree with the others about the fluxcore but I also like using co2 on gmaw. I never have had it cut off by over doing the duty cycle but when fabricating there is a lot of stop and go. No problems with 3/16.

I would recommend not getting anything less than 130 amps.

so for those smaller 110/115v machines, it's better to use straight co2 instead of an 70/20 argon/co2 mix?
    Sorry for the noob question.

I would agree the Lincoln 135 is the best I've used it was light and trouble free. I bought a couple of Thermal Arc machines and find they are cheaper but very heavy. Check out my own revue: http://www.aaronstechserv.com/welding1.htm

The next one will probably another linclon.

Quote Originally Posted by TeckniX
    so for those smaller 110/115v machines, it's better to use straight co2 instead of an 70/20 argon/co2 mix?
    Sorry for the noob question.
    If you are using solid wire then C02 will definitely give better penetration, especially with a 120 VAC macine. There is a bit of splatter but if you keep a container of nozzle gel nearby and apply some to the tip from tiime to time adn also keep the tip clean, then splatter is not a problem at all.

Otherwise, you could use fluxcore but it's not as pretty as a solid wire weld....
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

Thanks guys!

To the ones who replied that I should get a 220volt machine...duh!

That's a no-brainer!

Nobody would buy a 115volt machine if they had 220volt current readily available... and that's the problem.

Their is a Lincoln vs Miller 115 volt mig welder comparision pdf floating around this forum was very interesting to see improvements Lincoln has made in their migs.

My Passport does pretty darn good on 110 volt power. The Passport is a very efficient inverter power supply and puts out more amps on 110 volts than any other 110v mig that I'm aware of. The machine is not cheap, but it's well worth it if you want alot of mig ouput on 110 volts.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

The HH140 will do what you said you would like in a 115 volt welder. I have one and use it all the time with .30 flux .35 flux wire on 1/8 to 1/4, it has been a very nice welder for what I use it for. I have MM211 that I use with gas only. I had a 115 volt welder for over 10 years and I am very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-Beast View Post
    Thanks guys!

To the ones who replied that I should get a 220volt machine...duh!

That's a no-brainer!

Nobody would buy a 115volt machine if they had 220volt current readily available... and that's the problem.
    what he said,

If i had the $$$ I'd put 220s all over the place but we dont all have the advantage of the sweet delicious power of 220. more so i wish i had three phase in my garage
    Realgear 140 MIG
    More DeWalt tools that I prolly need
    DIY 160 amp 40 OCV MOT Stick Welder

Psst.. The original thread date was '07.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Psst.. The original thread date was '07.
    hahahahahaha,
    Wonder if he ever bought a welder.
    Tim Beeker.