Unused Diversion 165- Fair price to ask?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Unused Diversion 165- Fair price to ask?

I bought a DIversion 165 back in August of '09 after they had been out awhile. I have never used it -took it out of the box- plugged it in to verify it would power up and put it back in the box. Had plans to get it setup and start using but as they say life gets in the way. I find myself now more in need of a bigger mig IM230/MM252 and am thinking about selling the Diversion. I don't want to gouge anyone but neither do I want to 'give' it away either, so I am looking for thoughts on what would be a fair price for it. I an thinking about putting it on ebay but between them and Paypal they really stick it to you for fees so am trying to figure out a decent starting price or a 'buy it now price' to ask if I put in there so I have something left after they get their cut. Thanks in advance for comments and thoughts.

Re: Unused Diversion 165- Fair price to ask?

No matter how 'NEW' something is...if it is listed for 75% or more of the new value...I'll just go buy it new. So, I'd recommend somewhere between 50% & 75% of what you paid for it.

On the other hand, maybe the dealer would give you a good trade in value on it?

Kev
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

Kev
    Appreciate your comments, that's pretty much how I feel myself and about what I had in mind to put it up for. Unfortunately in my region (NWPa) - I don't know of any LWS stores that take trades unless you are large industrial account. None carry used machines and as one said-we don't take trade ins so as a result we have none to offer (tried looking for used before I bought new). So that pretty much leaves Ebay or Craigslist as a means to move equipment.

I buy and sell on ebay frequently with paypal.
    When selling you just have to cover those fees in your total asking price or reserve price. Just how it is.
    Don't loose money on shipping neither, make sure your shipping cover actual cost, plus.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

But even if your LWS doesn't sell used machines, they know a lot of people looking for used machines...when I went looking for a Miller machine at my LWS, they gave me the name of someone in exactly your position. If you have a working relationship with them, perhaps they could send people your way who are looking for that class of machine.

kev

- Vintage Victor 100

Maybe out there in CA that is the case,if so you are lucky. Not around here- my local LWS to put it simply sucks, prices are outrageous, no long term bottle leases, they really don't want to deal with the hobbyist as they cater to industrial/commercial accounts and why I literally drive 50 miles to another 'local' welding store and they are exclusively a Lincoln distributor, this part of the world most gas suppliers are 'red' and not blue. So putting a blue item up is not going to set well. Nope if i want to sell it is either Ebay or Craigslist. As one of the LWS said when I was complaining about lack of floor models to look at when I asked don't your industrial customers want to look at what they are buying- answer was Nope- they pick up the phone order what they want and we let them know when it is in. When there is lack of competition you get to make the 'rules'.
    Last edited by 131re; 11-12-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Sorry to hear that...my LWS treats me very well, even as a hobbyist. Discount every time I go there (off their ridiculously-inflated price, but still...the word discount is mentioned every time I shop there). I've got a couple of guys who know me by name and treat me well. This is a one-store, family-owned business, though. I suppose I could go either way (red or blue), if my LWS had a preference, but my LWS happens to be blue anyway.

Sounds like you've got a stinkly LWS. Sorry to hear that.

- Vintage Victor 100

Did you sell the unit? I may be in the market...

Thanks.

TB