6013 dcen - Page 13
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 6013 dcen

Re: 6013 dcen

Lead burners, that brought back memories from the acid plant days. We had annual shutdown to do maintenance that couldn't be done on short weekend shutdowns, they always had a lead burner crew come in to repair/replace the lead on the concrete spill troughs at the truck & rail car loading stations, I was always intrigued by their work, but sure didn't envy the job & the fumes they were breathing, very few used any lung protection, I can only imagine what the lead fumes mixed with the sulphuric acid fumes must have been like. I don't know if there was a cartridge respirator that would work on that combination of fumes or not.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

those pics are amazing ,thanks for showing them and taking time to preserve that work. I watched a documentary back in 2012 about the yard I was apprentice at, it was titanic centenary. They found one death in 100,000 pounds acceptable on construction, I know there were no welders back then but there were pipe fitters my beginnings are the 70s a little late for a 1936 craftsman but I hope keeping the same skills alive. Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images      

well as I mentioned,I've been busy .

That's beautiful work. Thanks for posting.
    Is that a tig root pass?

Thanks, waznme most of the root work on this job was tig, we had the choice of either, just went tig less grinding. Shows how times change, less than 10 years ago I would have used stick . Alan

When I was in my early 20,s my next door neighbor was in a pipefitters union. He offered to help me get in the union as an apprentice, I had just started work at Westinghouse Nuclear Reactor Division so decided to stay there. As I grew older I grew to appreciate welding and pipefitting as an art form, such as the work pictured above. Aircraft fuel piping is usually TIG root, 7018 cap, at Anchorage International Airport and all welds must pass X-ray. Beautiful work!

Thanks mate, I'm sure you made the right decision . Heres a little more. Alan