What welding helmet are you using? - Page 11
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: What welding helmet are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by colindstark View Post
    I use high temp white spray paint on my hoods, works great for ruining 250+amp .045 stainless dual shield 10+min at a time

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Running not ruining

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I use an Optrel. Shoot cant remember the model now but it is a sweet hood. Cost was close to $350 three or four years ago but it was well worth it. The grinding mode is great as is the adjustable shade. I kind of did something pretty stupid a couple years back. After screwing something up on a weld I threw a temper tantrum and chucked my hood across the shop. I knew before I let loose I would regret it but for that moment there was a bit of pleasure in it. Then that very brief moment wore off and I regretted it as I knew I would. Put a very small crack by the grinding button but it continues to work fine. Despite what this makes me sound like I am actually very laid back and not a angry person but every once in a while.. I think Ill start a thread on what things people have thrown across their shop in a fit of rage and what damages ensued!

I have a Miller ProHobby and a Huntsman 4x5 passive helmet. I bought the Miller when I started school and it's been a reasonably good helmet for $140. Works well for stick and MIG, though it leaves a bit to be desired when TIG welding (tends to flash at low amps and lens clarity is mediocre). I originally bought the Huntsman for SMAW but found that I couldn't strike an arc consistently without being able to see the rod. I use it mainly for FCAW and spray MIG.

I have used a passive 4.5x5.25 for years while working on the water but now thats its mostly shop work i picked up a used Miller Digital Elite, loving it. Just taking some getting used to the smaller viewing area and not needing to flip it up every time.

I have gone through over a dozen helmets at this point. Speedglass, Lincoln, Miller, Jackson, but six months ago I found my perfect helmet. Its super lightweight and adjusts its darkness from 8-13 automatically depending on the brightness of the arc/torch position, it also has a great feature for eye fatigue. When I break my arc it fades back from black instead of just snapping back. I got it from ioc welding supplies. Its an optrel and I now own two, both the 2.5 which has a 2.5 light state instead of 4 and the e684. At first i was thrown off by the small view but soon realized it is perfect and at just over 2 pounds I have more than once forgot it was on my head and had a door frame take it off for me. Something else to note, I do tons of overhead welding and the shape of this helmet is perfect, slag and spatter just roll off and fly of the "ramps" on the back and the neck area. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  60.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  58.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  45.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  48.8 KB

you think that's good, try the vega view 2.5. I got that and sold my 684. I love the light shade
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

I got the 2.5 a few weeks ago and love it in my home weld shop due to low light. My 684 is my daily duty work helmet. 2.5 prolly wont ever leave the house

Lincoln Viking 3350. Only way to go is getting a really good helmet. Spend the money. The horrible freights are no goodw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best lid out there!

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by Dimestacker42 View Post
    I have gone through over a dozen helmets at this point. Speedglass, Lincoln, Miller, Jackson, but six months ago I found my perfect helmet. Its super lightweight and adjusts its darkness from 8-13 automatically depending on the brightness of the arc/torch position,
    Actually, in Auto mode it will adjust from 5-13, depending on the fine tuning.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Jackson balder is a great helmet, has a big viewing area, light and comfortable!
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Lincoln Vantage 400
    Makita Demolition Hammer
    Hilti DSH 700 X Cut off Saw
    Makita 43cc 18" Chainsaw

Get Er Done!!

Same one since 1987.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

That's easy. If I can only have one helmet its a flip front Pipeliner with an ArcOne auto dark 10.

VPT - Would you please show a little love to that hood. It looks like it has definitely earned its keep By the way I total agree about it being the best helmet. I love mine. I have an original Miller Elite that I love the looks of, but the old head gear broke, and I tried the new generation 3 head gear, and it made it unusable for me. I just bought the generation 2 head gear, and it fits much better. Now I can see which hood I really like better. Probably will still be the Jacksons. I also have the Next Gen Auto Darkening insert that I use off and on.

Tell me more, you've got my attention

I have one of these mainly because of this video. I agree with the guy. It's a slick helmet

Size for reference
    Name:  20170106_090155_resized.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  62.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Same one since 1987.

...zap!
    Mine is from 89. They don't build'em like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    VPT - Would you please show a little love to that hood. It looks like it has definitely earned its keep By the way I total agree about it being the best helmet. I love mine. I have an original Miller Elite that I love the looks of, but the old head gear broke, and I tried the new generation 3 head gear, and it made it unusable for me. I just bought the generation 2 head gear, and it fits much better. Now I can see which hood I really like better. Probably will still be the Jacksons. I also have the Next Gen Auto Darkening insert that I use off and on.
    I actually did soon after the pic. I cut out a new lexan and cleaned her up real good. A guy doesn't realize how obstructed the view gets with old plastic till you replace it and clean the lenses.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I got myself a Miller Weldx cape this past summer. Its expensive but very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    steve,

I've got a full leather jacket but it'll be way to hot for summer. Plus I bought it bigger than needed so it could be worn over heavier clothing for some out door winter welding I did a while back. I've been eye ball'n what others have been wearing at work (and there's quite a selection) and while some of it looks like it would be comfortable and fairly cool for summer work none of it seems to be holding up very well for them. I really like the ventilation of wearing an open backed set of a sleeves and cape with a (bib / apron) so am probably just going to get a new set of them. The current ones are pretty burnt up and stiff from a lot of past heavy gouging and the arms have shortened up to much which tends to leave some of my wrist exposed.

The only thing I've seen them supply at work is those green fabric pull on sleeves that come up past the elbow. In my opinion that just ain't enough upper body coverage for the amount of UV that spraying metal core produces. got to have some other layer of protection on your front side or it'll just eat up your regular work clothes. Wore a brand new dark blue, long sleeve Carhart T-shirt all this week under my standard Carhart brown bibs. The end of the left sleeve (where it peaked out from under my leathers) is already faded white and fraying apart.

Helmets are for football and motorcycles. I use a Speedglas 9100FX welding hood.

Optrel e680 fab work and my fibre metal and hard hat with a gold lens

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
    if you can step across it I can weld it.

Been using my trust Optrel E680 for about a year now. I love how light weight it is, never feel it after 10+ hours of rod burning. Gotta love the color of the filter also. My only gripe about it is the inner lens, it doesn't seem to want to stay in place. So I just tape it along the bottom lip and it'll stay secure.
    Might be looking at a newer SpeedGlas in the future. Not sure at this point. They seem awfully heavy to me.
    Dynasty 280DX