steel toed work boots. pro or con? - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: steel toed work boots. pro or con?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    anyone wear this? or use to wear these and then switched to a different boot ? http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/i...ct_detail&p=16
    how do you like these compared to some of the more costly boots ?
    I wore those in the army really comfortable but not great for welding.....if a spark or piece of slaf gets near them it burns right through.....most of that boot is nylon but no more all leather boots intodays "kinder more gentle" army
    1979 sa 200
    victor 100
    several bfh's
    several pitbulls (for holding down the floor)

I have two pairs of danners one safety toe one not if you work in a shop with hot or sharp metal stay away from the white soles I walked the bottoms of a pair on 6 months but I was the supervisor for two plants and I figured it up I was walking between 10 and 15 miles in a ten hour shift I have the black vibram soles on this pair of boots and after three months they still look new on the bottom chips don't get stuck in the rubber I really like them
    1979 sa 200
    victor 100
    several bfh's
    several pitbulls (for holding down the floor)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    Yup, tufftoe is good stuff, my current boots are about three years old and the tufftoe is going strong, I think the toes might outlast the sole. My fiance told me about it, she was a collegiate softball pitcher.
    Yea I really like it so far. I even used it on a set of non steel toe boots and it's held up real well. It definitely makes a world of difference if you have steel toes and work on your knees a lot.
    IW Local 580 NY, NY

I used to go through soles of boots about once every six months in a previous profession. I wore through laces even faster. The uppers would last about a year. Whites held up the best, they did a terrific job standing behind their product. And yes, sometimes it cost me an extra $100 to have them rebuilt but heck, new boots at that point. A few things I found I really liked..
    Smart wool socks, warmer and held up better than Thorlos. I've owned both, preferred the smart wool.
    Kevlar laces, took me awhile to find a pair that was 100% Kevlar, but I still have the things! I keep them and swap them to my next boots!!
    Lastly SOLE brand insoles. Their high volume insoles are really not that thick, but they do really well for arch support.

And sometimes you don't. What the hell is so damn funny about someone getting a crushed foot?. Pal, you are a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    not the boss man?? sometimes you gotta laugh.

Whites_boots are definately the best for me but at about $400 a pair? I have two pair and rebuilt at least 3 or 4 times each. Both pair need a rebuild so Ive been using cheaper boots but my point is, wear boots. Nikes burn with spatter and if your clumsy like me, you might drop something and I have a tendency to break the fall with my foot.

Anyone intersted in Whites can contact them and they will send a catalog and foot chart to draw your foot on and they make custom boots for your foot.

No steel toe for me. I have never found a pair I could wear. Wearing size 10.5 4e or h sucks. I just bought these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have some custom orthotics as well.

The color sucks but as good if not better IMO than the Redwing 963's I have been wearing, a $100 cheaper and I didn't have to deal with the Dbag Redwing guy here.
    Last edited by kald; 03-26-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Thorogood steel toe. Made in 'Merica and comfortable as all get out

To revive an old thread...

Carolina boots have been the most comfortable steel toes I've ever worn. Light as a pair of sneakers. I get the "crazy horse leather" versions.. less break in time. Internal met and all your basic oil/slip/shock resistance. Less than $100.

I was the redwing factory store and outlet this summer. They have every model RW and Irish Setter. I wanted USA made but the pair I finally picked out was china redwing and the the most comfortable. Can be resoled too. I haven't worn steel toe since the 70's. I had a liquid waste truck tank come down on my foot and crushed the steel toe cup. The shop Forman saw it happen and was freaking out. I limped over to a bench and got the boot off. My toes were pinched but not bad, didn't hurt at all after I got the boot off. I put the boot in a big vise and re arched the steel cup, put my boot on and went back to work. The Forman and the other shop guys thought I was the most macho tough guy.

I have mine made. Muddy,MUDDY here and it's hard to get a decent sole on a Wellington $ooooo.
    Wallet toaster they were . Had them done in USA off a template done by a podiatrist here.
    It's hart to even get me in shoes let alone steel toed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Before you ask.
    It's an orchid.

Name:  sieve_GT7_xl_s3.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  38.1 KB

In Europe a toe cap on a safety boot have to live up to the same standards regardless of material. So alu toe caps (50% weight) and composite toe caps gives the same protection. I just google around to see if I could find out what that protection is and I did.

The toe cap is shock resistant to at least 200 Joule. That's like having a 50 pound object rolling off your workbench and landing on your toe.
    And then 15000 Newton compression resistance minimum. That like putting 3300 lbs on your tow or under one wheel of a 13000 lbs truck.

On any construction site here it's the law that you must have shoes with toe caps and nail protection. And the employer is required to provide it.

I like to wear heavy duty boots so I don't notice any real weight difference between boots with steel toe caps or those without. And regarding the cold there are safety boots made for working outside in the winter when there can be a lot of snow and temperatures below -20C / -4F. It's just a matter of getting the right boot for the conditions.

So even if it can be hard to find safety boots that fits well I think there are no real cons. Except perhaps the price as the good stuff is not cheap. Maybe not such a big deal if you're your own boss and can decide what's important and what's not.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 09-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcreek View Post
    I haven't worn steel toe since the 70's. I had a liquid waste truck tank come down on my foot and crushed the steel toe cup. The shop Forman saw it happen and was freaking out. I limped over to a bench and got the boot off. My toes were pinched but not bad, didn't hurt at all after I got the boot off.
    Wait, so after that you don't wear steel toes?
    IW Local 580 NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArc View Post
    Correct. I also haven't worked in that environment since then. If I still worked in a shop or around heavy equipment, I would wear steel toe caps. For now, I have an office job, a hobby farm, and a home hobby workshop.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I think I would have had a really sore foot if that tank had landed on my unprotected toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    I have mine made. Muddy,MUDDY here and it's hard to get a decent sole on a Wellington $ooooo.
    Wallet toaster they were . Had them done in USA off a template done by a podiatrist here.
    It's hart to even get me in shoes let alone steel toed.
    WoW! Looky at them fancy boots! Are you goin' dancin', horsey ridin', or weldin' ?? Fine lookin' footwear ya got there, pard'ner!

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Been wearing a set of Wolverine- Peak ag boots as of late. I keep tearing up everything else at the shop. Most steel toe units are just too heavy and uncomfortable. Most have little to no sole flex, and you might as well be wearing a brick. Or, I get really light, soft boots and the soles wear out in maybe 2 months.
    So I went to Boot Barn, and found these for about $150 a pair. Not cheap, but not really expensive, either. They flex better than most. They are not re-sole able. They are probably the lightest 'Heavy duty' boot I have ever worn. And, they are very comfortable, and YES- they are waterproof. 6 months in, and the soles are holding up really well. I think I am going to buy another pair when these ones die in a year or so.
    As to the value of steel toes, or all leather boots???

Lets' see; FIRE. Molten steel. Slag. Heavy, smoking hot pieces of steel falling on your foot. Yeah- I can definitely see a reason or 3 to stick to leather and steel toe boots.........
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArc View Post
    No kidding, right???

" I was wearing Nomex one time, and I got flashed when a can of gasoline went up. Burned my eyebrows clean off. So, I don't wear Nomex anymore- I stick to rayon fibered clothes and cotton underwear for my fire protection...."

Darwin has been known to hunt in welding shops.....
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

I have worn Wolverine Durashocks for years and yes steel toes ...Most places require them

But those are the most comfortable boot i have had ..the wedge soles for machine shop work where your on your feet almost all day
    and the wellington for when i run equipment or work around it or on it or under it

I only had one problem the wedge soft soles melted when i stepped on the hot trans on a 637 scraper so the hard soles are better for that but not as comfortable for standing at the lathe or mill all day
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    WoW! Looky at them fancy boots! Are you goin' dancin', horsey ridin', or weldin' ?? Fine lookin' footwear ya got there, pard'ner!

- Mondo
    Naw. Not perzackly. I ownz me wunna them thar 'tanikal gardens(1035 acres) in that thar third world so when you murkinz cum up durin' a rain storm and wanna go lookee see some animalz, I needa be wearin sum stud muffin type bootz to lead them in the jungle and not bust me arce in mud.
    It's a rather dirty line of work but someone has to do it.
    Iza needz to get me sum more acres. Them neighbors be invadin mi privates !!
    Last edited by Burpee; 09-26-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Horsiez ? Yupper ! Gotz me a few uh dem 2 !

That thar bump in the bak be a volkaner !
    It squrtz lavver at nite !

Stoopid me. Leff out dancin" .Horzonall or vertikal. All good !

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Stoopid me. Leff out dancin" .Horzonall or vertikal. All good !
    Naturally one is better than the other though - lol

Nice volcano

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Burpee; save me a spot!!!