Longevity Plasma Cutter and Welder Giveaway Plus $500 cash prize!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Longevity FREE Plasma Cutter and Welder CONTEST Plus $500 cash prize!

Dear Friends:

In celebration with our newest partnership with WeldingWeb, Longevity is offering its first ever Longevity Weld Off Contest. The contest will require a cut out of our Longevity Logo from any metal of your choice. The rules are simple, we require all contestants to sign up with our forums at www.longevity-inc.com/forum. So if you have yet to do so, please join.

We will be judging your submissions via emailed pictures. The winner will have an opportunity to send in their work with a provided shipping label.

What we are looking for is a customer who will be able to best cut out our Longevity Logo. The winner, will receive our WeldMax LC-520D 50AMP plasma cutter and 200amp tig welder with a 160amp stick welder.

In addition to the $750 multi-purpose machine, we will be giving away $500 to the winner. Thats a $1250 Value!

To qualify for the contest, you must register with our forums, provide us with the picture of your finished Longevity Logo. If you are selected by our staff and dealers, we will be requiring you to ship back the Longevity Logo via a return label we will provide. The winner will be announced on WeldingWeb forums on July 9th 2008.

Please note the Longevity Logo must be no less than 12 inches wide. The preferred length is 16 inches. You can view our logo here: http://longevity-inc.com/files/Longevity Logo Big TradeMark.jpg

The winner will have the welder as soon as the Longevity Logo is received along with a check of $500.00. The winner will be selected by our staff and our dealers.

Please email your contact information: Name, Address, Email, Longevity Forum ID, and phone to contest@longevity-inc.com

Update Contest Has been extended to Monday JULY 14th!

If there are any questions, please ask them on the WeldingWeb forums.

Thank You All
    Last edited by longevity-inc.com; 06-27-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

Re: Longevity Plasma Cutter and Welder Giveaway Plus $500 cash prize!

are cnc machines allowed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    are cnc machines allowed ?
    Yes, actually you are able to use a CNC machine. However, please understand a person who creates our logo free hand will get more consideration since it is a lot harder to create.

However, we currently have several people who are attempting to cut with a CNC table using our WeldMax series and WeldPro series plasma cutters.
    LONGEVITY

Shouldn't someone that has the ability to convert your .jpg logo to machine language get extra credit

Is a "Virtual Logo" any help?

http://weldingdata.com/WelderReviews...longevity.html

Wow,

I am very impressed the virtual logo looks amazing! I think it will help people entering the contest. We are excited to see the results.

I hope you will enter as well.
    LONGEVITY

Won't be entering this one. No Hand Plasma or Torch. Hot Rodding it with A 6010 dipped in water just won't give the results you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    Won't be entering this one. No Hand Plasma or Torch. Hot Rodding it with A 6010 dipped in water just won't give the results you would like.
    I see... we will have other contests shortly in addition to this one. Perhaps in the future you may have the resources and the time.

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    The rules do not specify what cutting method(s) can be used or what metal or thickness it has to be cut from.

According to the rules, you could cut it from aluminum foil with a pair of scissors. You could also cut it from thin gauge sheet (like that galvanized ducting material sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and others) with a Dremel or other abrasive tool. Some have also had luck cutting sheet steel/aluminum with a saber/scroll (reciprocating) saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    The rules do not specify what cutting method(s) can be used or what metal or thickness it has to be cut from.

According to the rules, you could cut it from aluminum foil with a pair of scissors. You could also cut it from thin gauge sheet (like that galvanized ducting material sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and others) with a Dremel or other abrasive tool. Some have also had luck cutting sheet steel/aluminum with a saber/scroll (reciprocating) saw.

I am sorry. You are right. Please make sure the thickness of the metal is near 1/4 inch. If you are cutting aluminum, please make sure the thickness is not bendable. We prefer something near 1/4 inch.

This will be displayed in the office!

Thanks for the heads up!
    LONGEVITY

Quote Originally Posted by longevity-inc.com View Post
    Please make sure the thickness of the metal is near 1/4 inch. If you are cutting aluminum, please make sure the thickness is not bendable. We prefer something near 1/4 inch.

This will be displayed in the office!
    What? You're joking, right? Nearly half-way through the contest you decide to change the rules?

By applying that high of a minimum thickness rule you are totally stifling the creativity of your contestants. As well significantly reducing the number of people that are capable of competing.

What if Johnny Highschoolstudent really wants a plasma/welding setup, but all he can afford from the money he makes on his paper route is a Dremel and a piece of 18 Gauge steel? Are you really going to totally crush his hopes by restricting the contest to those who already own the equipment capable of cutting 1/4 steel?

And what do you mean "not bendable"? Just about anything is bendable if you apply enough force.

My previous post was not intended to point out any sort flaw in the rules due to non-specifics. It was to encourage more participation by pointing out how open and fair they were for everyone, regardless of their current equipment situation.

If you leave the rules open, like they were before, you might not end up with a winning entry that is exactly like you imagined; you will probably end up with something even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    What? You're joking, right? Nearly half-way through the contest you decide to change the rules?

By applying that high of a minimum thickness rule you are totally stifling the creativity of your contestants. As well significantly reducing the number of people that are capable of competing.

What if Johnny Highschoolstudent really wants a plasma/welding setup, but all he can afford from the money he makes on his paper route is a Dremel and a piece of 18 Gauge steel? Are you really going to totally crush his hopes by restricting the contest to those who already own the equipment capable of cutting 1/4 steel?

And what do you mean "not bendable"? Just about anything is bendable if you apply enough force.

My previous post was not intended to point out any sort flaw in the rules due to non-specifics. It was to encourage more participation by pointing out how open and fair they were for everyone, regardless of their current equipment situation.

If you leave the rules open, like they were before, you might not end up with a winning entry that is exactly like you imagined; you will probably end up with something even better.
    Tensaiteki,

Everyone is welcomed to the contest! In fact, if you submit a thin piece of material but the quality of the work is better than someone who cuts out a rougher looking cut from something thicker, you chances of winning are higher. of course.

Please understand, we will have numerous submissions. All i was implying was if someone was to submit the perfect thickness and the perfect cut, they would have a better chance of winning. Now, i agree these rules should have been implemented before the post, but this is our first contest and I am learning as we go.

However, we will first view the submissions on this site via pictures of the work and people will have a chance to relate their likes and dislikes of the finished Longevity logo. Ultimately, it will be up to our staff and dealers to decide the winner, but we will take the welder's input on this forum and the Longevity forum seriously.

We want everyone to participate and someone who does the best job will win both the WeldMax LC-520D and the $500.00 cash prize!
    LONGEVITY

well that saved me several hours work - I cant compete with a computer at my age
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

i just reread this whole thing and realized that no particular material is speced. could someone submit wood or plastic or perhaps someone with a computerized vinyl sign cutter setup could ace this thing. Doesn't say much for skills or workmanship.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

As long as you are cutting metal, whether it be aluminum or steel, we have no requirement. The workmanship and the quality of the cut will be determined on this forum and by our staff once we receive the finished product via a return tracking label.

We are giving the people who cut the logo free hand more recognition and consideration!
    LONGEVITY

I read in one of the post responses that ALUMINUM should not be bent. Does this rule apply to all metals that are to be entered? I understand that this will be displayed at your facility- (on a wall or flat surface?)- the mounting orientation will mean a great deal in determining the design.Also, I have not seen anything related to a puzzle style logo-is this acceptable?

We prefer a design that is thicker similar to the 3d image presented by Gaustin

http://weldingdata.com/WelderReviews...longevity.html

However, we welcome all cut outs. As stated before, if your cut out is the best presented, you will the contest. However, please understand, we would like a ticker piece of metal that has the cleanest cut.

At this time, we wish to display it on the wall at our office - however, that will not determine the winner. We want a nice logo cut and size.

You also mentioned a puzzle style logo. Please clarify or give me a sample.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    LONGEVITY

Can the logo be laser cut?

Quote Originally Posted by bmreavis View Post
    Can the logo be laser cut?
    Unfortunately, we are hoping to see the logo cut with a plasma cutter.
    LONGEVITY

I did the logo cut this weekend and here is my entry.

Gadget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I realize that many here have strong opinions on Longevity and the other import people, but please, this thread is not intended to promote any particular brand of anything so please try not to turn it into another bash-the-China-machines-thread.

The purpose of this thread is so I can share the methods I use to accurately cut shapes out of sheet metal without a CNC machine or making stencils and the like, just by using simple tools and methods that are easily available.

Anyway, the project I will be using to demonstrate these methods is the Longevity logo I made for the Longevity logo contest.

(Click all pictures for larger versions)

I started with a piece of 16 ga. steel measuring approx. 13" X 32":
    http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...heet_small.jpg

I then traced an image of the Longevity logo in a CAD program and offset lines for the kerf as well as the width of the tip of my plasma cutter and printed it off. I printed this one off on a inkjet plotter but any sort of printer will work (inkjet, Laser, etc.). The pattern does not have to fit all on the same sheet of paper, multiple sheets can be used and simply taped or glued together.

To glue down the paper, I first position it on the steel and weight down one half of the paper. Then I lift up the unweighted half and spray with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive (available at Wal-Mart).

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...half_small.jpg

After the first half is glued down, I remove the weights, lift the other half and apply more glue. Using this method you can accurately position the template without having to try and get a lose piece of paper aligned on a sticky surface.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...lued_small.jpg

Here is a close up of the paper template. The solid lines show where the kerf (material burned away by the plasma cutter) will be. The broken lines mark the width of the tip of the cutter.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...acro_small.jpg

For all the straight cuts I use a regular steel framing square as a guide. I just line the edge of the straightedge directly on the broken lines (the square is actually directly above the broken lines, the camera angle and the warp of my heavily used square make it look like it isn't.):

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...acro_small.jpg

My plasma cutter does not have a pilot arc, only a high-frequency start. The high frequency usually cannot start an arc through the paper so I just take a pocket knife and cut a small hole in the paper to expose bare metal. This is only necessary when starting a new cut, If I am starting from an existing cut this is not needed. If your plasma cutter has a pilot-arc this is not necessary at all.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...spot_small.jpg

I always position myself so I can drag the torch toward me. I simply drag the torch like a box cutter on the surface of the work piece. Even without a special drag-cup on the torch, dragging at sheet-metal amperage should not damage the cutter.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...cut1_small.jpg

Then I re-position the square for the next cut:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...cut2_small.jpg

By positioning both "legs" of the square on the offset marks and cutting into (towards) the corner of the square you can ensure that you stop the cut exactly were you want to.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...stop_small.jpg

(Continued in next post)

Re: How I do accurate plasma cutting (demo'd using Longevity logo contest entry)

(Continued...)

Simply continue to reposition, cut, repeat until everything is cut.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...most_small.jpg

Well, almost everything..:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...done_small.jpg

The framing square works great for straight cuts, but what about curves like the 'O' and 'G'?

You could make a stencil-type thing out of thin plywood or some such material, but that's a lot of extra work (and expense) and in the end, you have a bunch of useless stencils that you either have to throw away or store until the day that you might need them again.

However, I found another way. While wandering the aisles of the local Hobby Lobby (hobby supply chain) I found a drawing tool called a flexible artist's curve. It's a rubberized doohicky that you can bend into any shape and it will hold with very little spring-back (I think it's just a bar of lead on the inside). All you have to do is bend it to the shape of the curve you want to cut and use it just like the steel straightedge.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...urve_small.jpg

Even though it's coated in a sort of rubberized-plastic material, I don't have any problems with it burning or melting because I only use short sections at a time and use different parts of the curve so no one spot gets too hot.

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto..._cut_small.jpg

After everything is cut out, the workpiece is usually warm enough that what remains of the paper will simply peel off:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto..._cut_small.jpg

The glue will leave a residue on the metal which will interfere with welding so after removing the slag I wash them off in a solution of water and a citrus-based cleaner called "Goo-Gone." After rinsing with water and drying they are ready to weld. I found that cleaning with this method makes using acetone unnecessary. The Goo-Gone solution is nowhere near as smelly, flammable, or toxic as acetone:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...lean_small.jpg

I then cut a bunch of 7/8" wide strips of the same 16 ga. material and bent and welded (picture only shows tacks) it around the edges of the letters:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...lded_small.jpg

Then I welded all the letters back onto the original piece:

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...aint_small.jpg

Finally I painted it (the white was sprayed, the red and black were hand-painted):

http://www.tensaiteki.com/images/sto...nted_small.jpg

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I do things.

Re: How I do accurate plasma cutting (demo'd using Longevity logo contest entry)

very nice!

This post makes me want a plasma cutter that much more... thanks! LOL
    Very nice! I like the square tip - I'm so shaky most of the time it looks like I'm cutting out halloween graphics for the kids...

Wow! Very nice work! I will be sending you and the two other people who have emailed me contest entries a DHL return label so we can analyze the work here in the office.

I have all contact information. Thanks for joining the contest. We will pick a winner here shortly once all the contestants turned in their Longevity Logos!

Thanks,

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Nice tutorial! Great work.

I started to build an entry myself. I felt like it was cheating, for a professional custom sign builder with access to a shop full of great tools to enter. So I didn't, but I did go as far as tracing the logo in CAD like you did.

I was going to do pretty much the same thing you did, actually. Only a little bigger, using 1/4" plate and 1/8" thick 3"wide returns. Returns are what we call the 7/8" strips you used.
    Miller Econotig
    Cutmaster 38

Yes ma'am, that IS a screwdriver in my pocket!