140 Amp Machine on the Way!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

140 Amp Machine on the Way!

I have the 140 amp stick welder on the way. Were gonna see if this baby will burn a 1/8" 6010 and 7018 good enough to weld a pipe.

A 60% duty cycle will keep up with me, will just see if it things are as advertised.

I hope so.

Re: 140 Amp Machine on the Way!

What brand?

Longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman715 View Post
    What brand?
    I assume Longevity since this the Longevity section
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Sorry its been a long long day out on the iron under the hood welding crucifixes.

'Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    I have the 140 amp stick welder on the way. Were gonna see if this baby will burn a 1/8" 6010 and 7018 good enough to weld a pipe.

A 60% duty cycle will keep up with me, will just see if it things are as advertised.

I hope so.
    Gerald,

Good news! I was able to get your unit out today and made sure the guys here packed it very well! The DHL tracking number is under your order number.

Let me know if there is anything I can do after the unit arrives.

Simon
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

That's cool to see an official (I am assuming its official, certainly appears to be) response from the company. That kind of individual attention says a lot about a company.

Just wish more companies understood/had time to do this.
    The Welder Shop has great deals and reviews on Hobart, Miller and Lincoln Welders.

Quote Originally Posted by longevity-inc.com View Post
    Gerald,

Good news! I was able to get your unit out today and made sure the guys here packed it very well! The DHL tracking number is under your order number.

Let me know if there is anything I can do after the unit arrives.

Simon

I'm looking forward to it. I am hoping to look at it as a welder that is advertized as being able to produce a certain output and NOT as a low cost alternative to other products. I beleive the rating was 60% at 120 amps. With a normal welder that is adequate to burn a 1/8" E7018 in the vertical position. However if this one has reduced voltage to achieve the higher amperage rfating, it won't work.

We will see. Thats why I am interested in the operators manual with specs for that EXACT model.

Gaustin

Why did you decide on the 140 amp instead of the 200 amp tig unit?

Mainly because I am cheap. I figure if the cheapest one works well, the others will too. Of course with some of the other imported chinese stuff, you very well may get a variation in batches. Without knowing who the MFG is and if they have a quality system of any kind, Its hard to say.

I am interested in making a few welding videos and actually starting to do some training here. I talked to both of the importers of this type machine and the other didn't have any in stock. The other company made a real good offer on a higher rated machine and I hope he will contact me when it comes in.

I made a good deal with the guy at Longevity to try out the machine at minimum risk to either of us. If it works well, I will look into buying the larger machine.

I still want to look at the ones from Everlast and was made a good price on one of the larger ones but the boat hasn't arrived yet.

I have a little 80 amp harbor freight machine that is great for the price and size. Fixed the exaust on my 85 Nova/Toyota a week or two ago with it and it was great for burning the 5/64" 6013's.

Both companies seem to have some issues with each other. I'm just interested in the welders.

There may be a misprint on their site. The prices are the same, that is the reason for my question. Perhaps they are the same maching just 200 amps if you tig. I don't know...

$350 is a good price for a 160 DC amp machine, if you got better than that then congratulations.

Sorry gaustin

I was not making the distinction between Longevity and Everlast. I was on Everlast site. Disregard the last post.

I dont think everlast has anything in stock? Or at least thats what I understood. When one comes in I hope to get one. The price I was sent was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by nosleepno View Post
    That's cool to see an official (I am assuming its official, certainly appears to be) response from the company. That kind of individual attention says a lot about a company.

Just wish more companies understood/had time to do this.
    As a smaller company compared to the huge corporations out there, we understand that customer support is the most important aspect of our business. We constantly keep our customers updated with their order and stand behind our service and products.

You are more than welcome to try out our units!

Thanks
    Last edited by longevity-inc.com; 06-29-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    LONGEVITY

The machine came in today and I was able to burn a few rods. On the outside everything looks good. I ran a few beads with some 1/8" 6011 and they seemed to burn OK . On the lower end (75 or so) it seemed like the arc would go out easily if I whipped out of the puddle much. Up around 100 it welded fine with no apparent problems.

Hope to weld some more in a few days but have a busy few weeks coming up with VBS and vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    The machine came in today and I was able to burn a few rods. On the outside everything looks good. I ran a few beads with some 1/8" 6011 and they seemed to burn OK . On the lower end (75 or so) it seemed like the arc would go out easily if I whipped out of the puddle much. Up around 100 it welded fine with no apparent problems.

Hope to weld some more in a few days but have a busy few weeks coming up with VBS and vacation.
    Great to hear you got the unit. The welder has an amperage sensitivity setting. I will see if I can provide you with a picture on how to adjust that. I know our latest models are all equipped with that feature.

Please post some pictures and videos. Im glad the unit is working for you.

Simon
    LONGEVITY

I have never heard of an amperage sensitivity setting. Just the amperage. Is this something internal ?

Yes,

It is internal. Looks similar to this:

Check to see if your unit has that setting. It allows you to fluctuate the current at different amps.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LONGEVITY

I am still unsure what it does. Current and Amps are the same. Does it change the voltage at a given setting ?

I will provbably weld with it some as-is. Its not to bad. The arc just seems to go out easily if the length is incresed. Lengthing the ARC increases the voltage and the machine may not be keeping up. It (whipping) is a technique used with electrodes such as 6010 and 6011.

If your arc fades out that setting will allows you to regulate current so the arc is stronger at lower amps. I am not positive your unit has it, but most of our production units do.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.
    LONGEVITY

I had some time today to burn a few rods with the welder. It is a pleasant change from my 80 amp inverter. I have it plugged into a 50 Amp 220 but it seems to cut out. It welds along fine for a few seconds, then the arc goes out and then right back on. I am welding with 6011 and I whip them slightly but not enough to get more than 1/8" or 5/32" of arc length.

I burned 5 rods back to back and it seemed to get worse. I had to really tighten up my whipping to almost none. I will upload some video of what happens in a little while.

gaustin,

I am checking to see if a 50 amp plug is too much for the unit. I believe it doesn't draw that much power.

Hope to have a reply soon.

Simon
    LONGEVITY

I think the 50 Amp will just Allow for a 50 Amp draw but doesn't affect anything requiring less amperage.

I have a page up with a few pics of the machine and a link to a page with a flash video.

http://weldingdata.com/WelderReviews...vityMMA140.htm

Excuse the video quality aas I had some technical issues. Watch for flashburn on that 4th rod. The video shows 4 consectutive rods being burned. By the time I got to the 4th the arc became a little unstable. I was using brand new Hobart E6011s right out of the box. These are typically very forgiving.

cool... post pics of your first welds with it

Quote Originally Posted by longevity-inc.com View Post
    gaustin,

I am checking to see if a 50 amp plug is too much for the unit. I believe it doesn't draw that much power.

Hope to have a reply soon.

Simon
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge