Aluminum Truck Bed Camper
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Aluminum Truck Bed Camper

I built this for a customer. Its made from mostly .063" aluminum so its light and very strong. Its 7' x7.75' x 4'. Has about 1200 rivets and 100' of weld. At the start I didn't know what to think about it, but by the end....I WANT ONE! (that fits in my pickup bed). Its not finished yet. It is getting an air conditioner on top plus a fan/vent and a crank up satellite dish. I still need to build a platform on the back for a generator. Inside its getting a microwave, refrigerator and TV. I think it has turned out nice so far. What do you think?

Re: Aluminum Truck Bed Camper

I bet that cost a pretty penny!
    Awesome work though looks great. How do you plan something like that out? Do you draw it up on solidworks or cad?
    Miller Dynasty 200
    Millermatic 211
    Instagram?.... find me @ WELD_MEDIC

Looks very nice. Are you going to insulate it?
    Mauricio

That certainly fits the look of that truck. Nicely done.

Are you going to be fitting out the interior, or someone else?

What is his main purpose for it (will he live out of if on remote jobsites, hunting, occasional camping?

Looks like a pretty heavy duty truck for just a camper...does he pull a heavy load with that routinely?

What sort of blind rivet did you use? How did you deal with sealing the holes from water?

Any special use for that space above the cab, the wind deflector? Install the electronics and controls? Special storage area? Car radio with flip out screen and DVD combo?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the this project
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

When I rodeoed for my living I had a truck bed camper. It was made by Capri™ and was the handiest outfit in the world. I could pull in a Walmart parking lot and live for the night. Your design is very sharp and looks great on that pick up. Very well designed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Hobart Stick mate LX AC/DC
    Harris O/A outfit

Nice job!
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Nice Job Travis, Welds look awesome!! Like the idea should make a nice place to relax!!
    Miller 250DX
    HTP 221 DV AC/DC
    Henrob O-A
    Miller 180 Mig
    Miller 150 Inverter
    Hobart 10,000 Welder-Generator Have a good day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Machine_Punk View Post
    That certainly fits the look of that truck. Nicely done.

Are you going to be fitting out the interior, or someone else?

What is his main purpose for it (will he live out of if on remote jobsites, hunting, occasional camping?

Looks like a pretty heavy duty truck for just a camper...does he pull a heavy load with that routinely?

What sort of blind rivet did you use? How did you deal with sealing the holes from water?

Any special use for that space above the cab, the wind deflector? Install the electronics and controls? Special storage area? Car radio with flip out screen and DVD combo?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the this project
    Thanks guys. After I install the windows and generator, I am done. The owner plans to insulate and build out the rest. He has a giant travel trailer he pulls around and wanted this for shorter trips. I built lift points at each corner so he can pull it off with his backhoe. I used blind seal rivets. He also plans on rolling some type of sealer on top for extra protection (he said he used it on his big trailer) The wind deflector space is a bonus. built it so you could put anything in there, but it looks like a perfect place for long guns. Hopefully the inside turns out nice i would like to get pictures of it completed.

Kind of makes me want something simular, great job

Nice job! i like it i used to have a fourwheelcamper pop up for my truck that had a welded aluminum frame

it was a great rig but now that i am setup for welding alloy i think i might try to make something like you have done there

I know this was a long time ago but my question would still apply to it. In this build he mentioned welds AND rivets. Isn't welding the whole thing stronger? Or (like airlines) would rivets be best to allow movement without braking?

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    I know this was a long time ago but my question would still apply to it. In this build he mentioned welds AND rivets. Isn't welding the whole thing stronger? Or (like airlines) would rivets be best to allow movement without braking?
    Since I can't clearly see the photos because they are now blurry, I would think the rivets were to hold the skin plates to the frame of the camper. Too easy to burn holes in the thin stuff trying to weld it to the framing. Pretty sure the frame was all welded not riveted though. Braking is VERY IMPORTANT to have, otherwise the truck is going to run into something sooner or later, probably sooner than later, but you want to avoid breaking any of the pieces/parts of the assembly.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 09-18-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Aluminum square tube construction is the norm in the ambulance industry, the aluminum "skin" is held on with heavy-duty double sided tape, probably a 3M product, and it works very well as most ambulance bodies have a lifetime structural warranty. I have only seen one failure, and it wasn't the fault of the builder, it happened because the crews would not give the ar-ride time to get off the snubbers and it beat the truck to PIECES.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I'd love to see this but the damn pictures are blurry. Photobucket ftw