Hobby Use
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Hobby Use

Hobby Use

I'm looking at a 40 amp plasma cutter for hobby use not to make a living with. I have zero experience with plasma cutters and need to know what I need besides the cutter. I have a pancake compressor that puts out 3.1 cfm will this be enough? 220 power is no problem. Will the machine be sturdy enough for hobby use I can't justify the money for a big three machine so will probably pass if the unit is in question maybe a set of torches would be better?

Re: Hobby Use

plepper,

The Cut40D can cut over 1/2" of steel. Not sure what your hobby is. So that will give you an idea on the power.

If this is a hobby and it requires cuts less than 1/2" then this is the unit to buy. Otherwise more AMPs out.

As for working it. You are cutting not welding. It is very easy to work and we can help you if you have a problem. Not that cutting is not an art like welding, cutting requires hand skills to make shapes if that is why you want one. But it is quite easy compared to TIG welding and other things. It is basically compressed air and a button that turns it on.. The rest is all you moving the torch.

The unit comes with the torch pre-assembled when you receive it, take it apart and look at the 2 parts so you know how to replace them. I think you get five pairs of spares with the Cut40D. Those are called consumables and in time will wear out, the first one will go faster as you learn how to not hit the metal or get to close, the rest will last a long time.

To cut, you hook the ground clamp on a clean spot on the metal you want to cut. Make sure the air is on at 65 PSI, I like 75 PSI. Get close to the metal, hit the trigger and it will shoot out an arc of plasma. From here, your skills in moving the torch to make shapes/cuts are all in your hand(s).

Jump in, cutting is fun and easy. Call Everlast and get Alex, he will hook you up.

I have a 40d and the unit is small and powerful. It is easy to use. the instructions are in a little broken English but understandable. I bought mine for hobby as well and now i am considering buying a welding unit from them also.

NOOB ALERT-------
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE AIR SUPPLY SET CORRECT AND BEFORE YOU CUT PRESS THE BUTTON AND MAKE SURE YOU HEAR AIR THROUGH THE CUTTING TIP.

I DIDN'T AND NOW I AM HAVING TO GET A REPLACEMENT UNIT. --------

Alex is great to work with and I cannot complain about the support at all. Look for some of the tutorials on how to use the cutter and you will find some really cool things to spark your imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by Zulfur View Post
    I have a 40d and the unit is small and powerful. It is easy to use. the instructions are in a little broken English but understandable. I bought mine for hobby as well and now i am considering buying a welding unit from them also.

NOOB ALERT-------
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE AIR SUPPLY SET CORRECT AND BEFORE YOU CUT PRESS THE BUTTON AND MAKE SURE YOU HEAR AIR THROUGH THE CUTTING TIP.

I DIDN'T AND NOW I AM HAVING TO GET A REPLACEMENT UNIT. --------

Alex is great to work with and I cannot complain about the support at all. Look for some of the tutorials on how to use the cutter and you will find some really cool things to spark your imagination!
    Alex will have an upgraded manual to the 4-in-1 Super200P welder shortly for release. Not sure if he plans to make a new Cut 40/50 manual, I will ask him. I have not heard for him for a couple day. Probably taking a weekend off for a change.

But a simple google will keep you busy for hours, and the plasma is not too hard to figure out compared to AC TIG And really it is all more skill than the unit. Still working on that part myself.

It appears you need information on how much Air the unit uses while cutting. The pressure is one thing and the flow is another.

The 160EV looks like it uses 3CFM

See the specs on the site at http://everlastgenerators.com/produc...ils.php?id=312.

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    It appears you need information on how much Air the unit uses while cutting. The pressure is one thing and the flow is another.

The 160EV looks like it uses 3CFM

See the specs on the site at http://everlastgenerators.com/produc...ils.php?id=312.
    There is nothing cast in stone on the air, but start with 65psi at 3cfm. I sometimes go higher to blow puddles away on very thick metal.
    I believe there is a new cut manual coming out soon and it will have a little more detail.
    Last edited by EVERLAST_SUPPORT; 07-23-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Don't even try to use a pancake compressor with a plasma unit.
    Welding web tried to silence me but heres the TRUTH about "Longevity inc" consumers must know about this before they even talk to Simon.
    http://microzone.us/weldingforum/ind...79.msg2234#new

Quote Originally Posted by blackdoggy View Post
    Don't even try to use a pancake compressor with a plasma unit.
    x2, you'd be lucky if you get an inch worth of cut before its empty. I can get a few inches out of a 30 gallon before the compressor kicks back in.

Pleper,

I do not have a pancake now so I can not test it, but I can not imagine it will not handle small cuts at all? I have to crank my 150PSI down from the 90PSI to 65PSI to cut. I keep my 150 PSI at 90PSI for my tools. I drop it down to 65PSI for the cut50d and have no problems.

If you have an portable air tank, maybe you can put that inline with the air hose. It will charge the pancake tank and air tank to help get more cut time. If you do not have a portable air tank, they are worth having and cheap. Get a flat tire, it need to nail a fence up, I could not get by without my portable air tank.

What are you planning to cut and how long a cut?

I forget, I started many years ago with a pancake, then went to a typical home depot tank, now have a little larger tank with a strong electric motor.