AC TIG Aluminum Noise?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AC TIG Aluminum Noise?

Is welding aluminum with AC TIG supposed to be noisy?
    I'm relatively new to welding, did some mild steel and stainless steel over the past few weeks.
    Now I'm trying to weld some 1/6" thick aluminum cleaned well, 1/16" 2% thoriated electrode sharpened to point, 60 amps, ArcMaster 185 welding machine, and it makes an awful lot of noise.
    I have no idea if this is normal.

Re: AC TIG Aluminum Noise?

Yeah its normal. Don't worry. Was that a typo? Did you mean 1/16"? Wait till you use more amps, it will get louder

Yes, sorry, 1/16" thick.
    Thanks for the immediate reply!

I did a search for "aluminum noise", "aluminum noisy", "aluminum sound", "ac noise", "ac sound", "hf sound", "hf noise", and couldn't find anything.
    Then I searched for the same things on Google and couldn't find anything.
    Usually I can find something somewhere, but not in this case.
    Last edited by turboimpala; 08-05-2008 at 10:00 PM.

I am not familiar with your machine, can you adjust the frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnit View Post
    I am not familiar with your machine, can you adjust the frequency?
    Yes.

But going from DC Tig - ahh silent, to AC Bzzzzzzzzz probably freaked him out

I started on AC- aloominum first so I thought that was what Tig welding was going to sound like-

Man on DC it sure is nice and quiet.

I have the same machine.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Yes, AC tig is a good bit louder than DC tig. As amperage increases it will get louder.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Actually the Arc Master 185 is relatively quiet on AC compared to other machines I've used.

Try 250 amps square wave balanced. Not only do ear plugs keep hot stuff out of your ears, they block sound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by turboimpala View Post
    Is welding aluminum with AC TIG supposed to be noisy?
    I'm relatively new to welding, did some mild steel and stainless steel over the past few weeks.
    Now I'm trying to weld some 1/6" thick aluminum cleaned well, 1/16" 2% thoriated electrode sharpened to point, 60 amps, ArcMaster 185 welding machine, and it makes an awful lot of noise.
    I have no idea if this is normal.
    The lower the frequency, the slower the pulse sound that you will hear. A synchrowave will run a steady 65HZ, and it goes Braaap, Braaap, Braaap. If you have an inverter welder, and the frequency is like 80-90, it's a lot sharper BRAP, BRAP. If you set the frequency up to 100-120, you get a brap/ whine from the welder. The arc is moving much more quickly, with over a hundred swaps from positive to negative a second. Some frequencies have a natural echo for the room they are in, and a machine can seem very loud!!
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

if you think the tig machine make a racket, then try pulse welding on a mig machine at about 450 amps. the first time I used pulse mig I thought the machine was going to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Yes.

But going from DC Tig - ahh silent, to AC Bzzzzzzzzz probably freaked him out

I started on AC- aloominum first so I thought that was what Tig welding was going to sound like-

Man on DC it sure is nice and quiet.

I have the same machine.
    That's exactly what happened, I freaked out.
    I thought I had something set wrong.

The AC is noisy.

Normal. But you should be using pure tungsten and form a ball on the end of the tungsten.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    The AC is noisy.

Normal. But you should be using pure tungsten and form a ball on the end of the tungsten.
    I've read that, but I've also read (in several threads in this forum) that using pure tungsten and forming a ball is not necessary when using an Inverter welding machine and I think several people don't even use pure tungsten with a ball when using a transformer machine.
    Last edited by turboimpala; 08-06-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Yes, with inverter machines, you don't have to use AC and pure tungsten and "ball the end". You can use 2% thoriated, blunt the tip after you sharpen the tungsten, and go to town. The nice thing with the inverters is that you can use 2% with straight argon, and get a good weld going. Or, switch to DCSP, and get rid of that AC buzz, but you will have to deal with the "scream" fron the high freq as you narrow the arc.....

Mind you, it takes a great deal of practice to do thin section aluminum with DCSP as opposed to AC, but since you've got the machine, play with it.....
    I r 2 a perfessional