Chicago drill press chuck
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Chicago drill press chuck

    Have a chicago drill press my father purchased at an auction in the 70's. The chuck is wore out and needs replaced. Finally got the chuck off(no operators manual) and want to make sure I order the right one. The drill has a plate on it that states(chuck capacity 5/8" spindle taper MT#2. The chuck has stamped on it Allied, 3 TAPER, (AP.O-5/8". So I assume I would order a Morse Taper 3 chuck with 5/8" capacity? Also, should I get a Jacobs plain bearing, super or would something else be better? Thanks in advance for any info.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    It's strange that the nameplate on the drill press should give the specification MT#2, and the arbor that you removed was a MT#3.

    I hope the spindle socket in the drill press wasn't wallowed out, and somebody replaced it with a MT#3 to make it work.

    Try to fit a MT#2(you can buy the arbors seperate from the chuck for reasonable price) and see if it fits, and doesn't spin when you apply torque. Also stick your finger in the spindle(motor off!!!!!!!) to see if it feels rough and damaged.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,745

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    If the drill press plate says #2 MT, I would assume it's correct. Does the chuck have a bushing/adapter for #2 to #3? Get a measurement of the taper diameter at its top and bottom and you'll know for sure. For MT#2, the measurements are: 0.700" and 0.572 while #3 is: 0.938" and 0.778
    The plain bearing type is cheaper but the others can be more accurate or easier to tighten securely; it depends on what you need, which only you know.

  4. #4

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Measuring top and bottom of the integral shank I get .579 and .706 so I assume even though the chuck says 3 taper the shank measurments are morse taper #2. Can the shanks be pressed out and the previous owner pressed a different chuck on the original shank?(never replaced a chuck before). Would like to get a new chuck with integral shank as the female taper in the press looks good and chuck has always woobled slightly since we got it. Assumed chuck shank is bent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Hold it by the arbor, and give the chuck a good whack with a brass hammer(reg. hammer ok if the chuck is no good). If that doesn't work, open the chuck all the way up, and insert a drift, or something suitable, and drive the arbor out from the chuck side.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,745

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    I was thinking it was maybe an older style with a different setup. I guess the drill press has a female MT #2, the chuck has a female MT #3 and you use an adapter shank between them. Chucks come with a variety of tapers including Jacobs, and Morse; there used to be some others too.
    The shank in yours is a tapered friction fit which might be hard to get out. Open the chuck all the way and look to see if there is a hole through which you might be able to use a punch, to knock the adapter out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,745

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Farmersamm, I keep getting interrupted and you keep beating me!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Farmersamm, I keep getting interrupted and you keep beating me!


    I gotta case of the fast fingers tonite. AND ON DIALUP

    sorry
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    knoxville, tn
    Posts
    653

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    look to see if there is a slot in the spindle of the drill press, it will be located in the upper end where the tang of the morse taper chuck would stop. this slot will go all the way through the spindle, both sides. a wedge is inserted through the slot and bumped with a hammer which will push on the top of the tang of the chuck and drive it out of the spindle.

    clear as mud huh!!

    G3
    miller... 225g, s32p, 250x, 304, 12vs, MSW41
    victor o/a
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 50
    lenco panel spotter
    hobart hf-box

    G3 Farms.....raising cattle, hay, kids and hell, ...oh yeah I'm a fire sprinkler contractor by trade.

  10. #10

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    I managed to figure out how to remove the chuck, but wish I would have posted sooner and could have used your advice. Wasn't hard once I figured out how to get at it. Thanks to all for your comments. New chuck and arbor are on the way.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Should have done this last night, but I just now got out to the shop this morning.

    Pic 1.... top to bottom: Wedge used to loosen MT arbors, MT2-JT3 arbor, arbor and JT3 chuck assembled

    Pic 2.... When installing new arbor make sure tang at top aligns with slot in drill press

    Pic 3.... Now let the real fun begin. A small assortment of adapters, and arbors available for drilling and milling machines

    If you get hooked, prepare to die broke but with MANY GOODIES
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Guerneville Ca
    Posts
    1,795

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Forget those old key operated chucks.
    You were lucky the #3 taper was stamped on the chuck. Many times it is not stamped and you have to figure it out.

    Get a German Albreght keyeless chuck. about $100.00 End of problems.
    No more drills that have slipped and you cannot read the info on it. Of coarse having a 6 inch caliper handy eliminates even trying to read info on the drill any way.

    There are less expensive keyless chucks too.

    BTW many people do not know that a chuck that uses a key, is supposed to have all three sides tightened to hold the drill. NOT just one hole.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Guerneville Ca
    Posts
    1,795

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Should have done this last night, but I just now got out to the shop this morning.

    Pic 1.... top to bottom: Wedge used to loosen MT arbors, MT2-JT3 arbor, arbor and JT3 chuck assembled

    Pic 2.... When installing new arbor make sure tang at top aligns with slot in drill press

    Pic 3.... Now let the real fun begin. A small assortment of adapters, and arbors available for drilling and milling machines

    If you get hooked, prepare to die broke but with MANY GOODIES
    Very nice photo layout FARMERSAMM !!!
    Tells the whole story.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    994

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Nice photos, farmersamm and nice assortment of tooling, but most (all) of your goodies are R-8 taper shanks for true milling machines. This comment is not a "gotcha" but an effort to avoid giving North1 the impression that he can use his drill press as a milling machine by buying a bunch of adapters.

    Indeed, some beefier drill presses can be used successfully for light milling, but most lack the rigidity necessary to avoid chattering and the resulting damage to work and cutter. A glance at the long snout on a drill press spindle with a Morse taper, in contrast to even a light duty milling machine with the R-8 spindle taper socket fully recessed into the bearing area of the spindle, tells the story.

    But the main point is for us all to enjoy using our tools within their capabilities.

    awright

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Quote Originally Posted by awright View Post
    Nice photos, farmersamm and nice assortment of tooling, but most (all) of your goodies are R-8 taper shanks for true milling machines. This comment is not a "gotcha" but an effort to avoid giving North1 the impression that he can use his drill press as a milling machine by buying a bunch of adapters.

    Indeed, some beefier drill presses can be used successfully for light milling, but most lack the rigidity necessary to avoid chattering and the resulting damage to work and cutter. A glance at the long snout on a drill press spindle with a Morse taper, in contrast to even a light duty milling machine with the R-8 spindle taper socket fully recessed into the bearing area of the spindle, tells the story.

    But the main point is for us all to enjoy using our tools within their capabilities.

    awright
    You gotta point. I never thought of that when I took the pic. I was just showing the sometimes confusing choices in tooling.

    The strangest thing I've seen is a 4" scrolling chuck with an R8 arbor on Ebay. I suppose it could come in handy, but can you imagine the inertia on that thing? Also you'd better have a bigazz block of wood under it when you loosen the drawbar
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    3,431

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Nice pics Samm. Pics #1 and #2 pretty much tell the story.

    The back of the chuck has a JT#3 taper in it (the hole). The drill press has a MT#2 taper in it (the hole). The adapter has a male JT#3 taper on one end and a male MT#2 taper on the other. Insert adapter into drill press, lining up the tang into the slot in the side of the drill press quill. Usually you can't put the tang in unless you line it up with the slot, but it's best to not rely on that. The slot and tang are there so that you can put the wedge into the slot and give a little tap to remove the tapered shaft from the quill. Don't whack the taper adapter to install it! Just put a block of wood under the quill and pull a bit on the drillpress handle to lower the quill and taper adapter so that you can squeeze the adapter into place. Then do the same thing with the new chuck, line everything up and pull down on the drillpress handle to squeeze it all together.

    Keep a hand on/under everything to make sure it all seated properly. If you get some 'crud' on the tapers, they don't seat right and can just fall out. Crud could be a piece of grit or lint, or a burr somewhere.

    And +1 on a drillpress really-really typically isn't made for milling. The bearings and tapers and such aren't made for side loads like in milling, just pretty much straight in-line loads of drilling.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    mesa az
    Posts
    131

    Re: Chicago drill press chuck

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    Forget those old key operated chucks.
    You were lucky the #3 taper was stamped on the chuck. Many times it is not stamped and you have to figure it out.

    Get a German Albreght keyeless chuck. about $100.00 End of problems.
    No more drills that have slipped and you cannot read the info on it. Of coarse having a 6 inch caliper handy eliminates even trying to read info on the drill any way.

    There are less expensive keyless chucks too.

    BTW many people do not know that a chuck that uses a key, is supposed to have all three sides tightened to hold the drill. NOT just one hole.
    I do!!!! ill only buy keyed chucks. tighten all three sides and you will never spin a bit.
    weldpack 3200 squirtgun
    precision tig 225 with cart
    prostar o/a setup with full size bottles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement