Home made tools! - Page 33
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Re: Thread: Shop Made Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Bostick101 View Post
    These are called "grass hoppers" used I'm pipeline/plant welding too not arc the pipe surface
    Grasshoppers are electrically insulated on the back end so the only electrical contact point is in the weld joint.

third hands are there for weight to hold down your work piece.

They have similarities but ultimately they have two different purposes.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Quote Originally Posted by AFFENDE View Post
    Grasshoppers are electrically insulated on the back end so the only electrical contact point is in the weld joint.

third hands are there for weight to hold down your work piece.

They have similarities but ultimately they have two different purposes.
    Insulating the grasshopper is a great idea. My 'third hand' is electrically conductive and thus serves as a secondary ground. It's possible to strike an arc that goes to the third hand if it's too close to the joint. The insulated back end would keep that from being a problem.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post
    Insulating the grasshopper is a great idea. My 'third hand' is electrically conductive and thus serves as a secondary ground. It's possible to strike an arc that goes to the third hand if it's too close to the joint. The insulated back end would keep that from being a problem.

Dan
    On the same token, he third hand being conductive also serves a purpose for being able to light up the arc on whichever side of the joint you need to without the parts twitching. Mine has a copper point on it. I even put an ground cable on it and use it as a ground for large projects at low amperage.

Sent from my dumb smartphone
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:
    eclectic bunch of 90's vintage blue boxes

Re: Home made tools!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRay View Post
    Been putting a couple hours everyday for the past couple of weeks putting a broaching press together, works AWESOME! I am not completely finished since I have to add a couple more welds, tool holders, hangers, shield, sand blast and paint. I broached a new dial 1/2 shaft pulley with 1/8 key tonight and it looks nice. Built to broach 1/16 to 3/8+

Attachment 1187071Attachment 1187081Attachment 1187091Attachment 1187101

You posted this over at

www.homemadetools.net/broaching-press

by chance ?
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    You posted this over at

by chance ?
    It gives credit to him if not. Still a nice build!

Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    You posted this over at

by chance ?
    Nope but they're known for taking peoples work off the internet and putting it on the site, they do give credit but they also make money by posting ads on every project posted. Instructables is doing the same thing and actually gave me a free one year membership to post my projects on their site until I noticed the ads and I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by teachagmech View Post
    It gives credit to him if not. Still a nice build!

Thanks!

Does it count if I just made a part of a larger tool?

Made a replacement back gauge for my squaring shear at work. When I started at my new job, many things were broken, abused, misused, misplaced, or just plainly destroyed. I was lucky enough to find one bar and the cast mounts for both sides of the gauge.

They weren't in the best shape, a little bent and rusted, but still functional.

Had to get a bar from the steel yard and make it happen. The original was 25mm but I could only get 15/16". Close enough.

Cut a chunk of straight as I could find angle. Ended up cutting it long enough to go the whole length of the shear blades. Had to notch the corner to miss the casting.

And now it looks like this!

Not bad for what I had to work with.

Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Good job but did the boss give you a raise, or even an atta boy
    Measure with a micrometre, mark with chalk, cut with a torch.

Never force anything...just get a bigger hammer.

Roy

Old Airco buzz box approx 1974
    Lincoln mig pack 15
    Lincoln 175 square wave
    1954 9" south bend lathe

Home made tools!

Thanks!

Define boss... I run the shop, the admin doesn't even know it was broken/disheveled. In education you wouldn't always expect the boss to know which way is up in a shop

Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Someone expects a raise for every time they do a job they were hired for ......... strange I thought that was what a pay check was about ?
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Today some think if you holler and carry a sign you should get twice the pay.
    None of this getting trained and doing a good job then getting recognized and then being payed what your worth.
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PT 256 EX Tig
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

If you where the shear operator and fixed it on your own, you might get in $hit for doing it or a pat on the back, depends on the shop. But as more information is brought into perspective it is your job and therefor you do not need or deserve any further compensation.

Roy

Lincoln mig pack 15
    Lincoln 175 square wave
    1954 9" south bend lathe

Name:  11997281_10152955549071809_1013345822_n.jpg
Views: 19253
Size:  65.7 KBName:  11998073_10152955549441809_1100154912_n.jpg
Views: 19195
Size:  37.2 KB

a mini upside down press brake to go in my HF pipe bender. looks pretty rough, but works well!
    I've done up to 3.5x.25 plate with it.
    it's made from some angle iron, some 1" pipe and some 3/8" plate I had laying around.

I think this is called a third arm-
    --

Name:  Metal Rim Art 014.JPG
Views: 18818
Size:  62.0 KB

--
    I've seen many different styles and had wanted one for the longest time. Just got around to finishing one for myself today after gathering some RR spikes from the tracks last week.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Looks nice and heavy

Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I think this is called a third arm-
    --
    --
    I've seen many different styles and had wanted one for the longest time. Just got around to finishing one for myself today after gathering some RR spikes from the tracks last week.
    Make yourself a second one while your at it. You won't be sorry. I use mine all the time to hold both parts still while I weld them together.

I'm jealous! Those are some handsome spikes! I need to get serious about finding some of those and some rail scrap locally.

teachagmech> Yes, it is heavy.
    --
    ndr1968> So you say I need a 4th arm, eh. Ok, makes sense to me.
    --
    Regarding RR spikes.... I'm finding the tracks are picked pretty clean for about the 1st mile... mile and a half in on either side of the road when I start walking tracks. Most people looking for them must be turning around to walk back at about that point. Don't give up. Soon as you get past where most have turned around to head back to their cars, you should start finding one rr spike every 15 to 20'. At least that's what I've been finding out my way but we're not heavily populated here. If you live in a heavily populated area that's been stripped clean, just send me a PM with your name and mailing address and how many you want to play with. I'd be happy to send some to you in a flat rate box.... no charge.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

When I was a kid living outside Chicago we would find spikes, padlocks,signal lanterns (the old oil lamps with colored lenses), anything they didn't want they just tossed to the side. Wish I still had some of those lanterns, but back then they were just junk that nobody wanted.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

None of that is left from what I've seen. I'd love to find a padlock but... I'm sure by now any that were tossed to the side in remote areas are long gone. I did find a long length of track. Only problem is at somewhere around 25 pounds per foot.... there was no way I could haul it back to my Corolla truck. I stood there for a while trying to figure out how many men it would take to "appropriate" it for a greater good but decided against that since it's illegal to take scrap metal from tracks.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

To bad most of our tracks where torn up years ago, All walking trails now.

Roy

Lincoln mig pack 15
    Lincoln 175 square wave
    1954 9" south bend lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    None of that is left from what I've seen. I'd love to find a padlock but... I stood there for a while trying to figure out how many men it would take to "appropriate" it for a greater good but decided against that since it's illegal to take scrap metal from tracks.
    Bingo! Not that spikes would be considered scrap metal of course....
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Yes but.... first time I didn't know it was illegal and parked my Corolla truck right next to the tracks about a half mile away from where there are gas stations that give free coffee and sweet rolls to police officers. I can't tell you how many cop cars passed my car just parked on the shoulder by the RR crossing rubber necking it. Second time was different. By then I'd been informed it was illegal so parked behind the feed store then walked through the trees for about a half mile then in toward the tracks. Next time, I'm taking a friend to a different RR crossing in an even more remote area that hopefully isn't picked clean and we'll casually walk our dogs down the tracks looking all innocent as we load ourselves down with spikes.
    --
    At my age, I could care less whether my name ends up in the police blotter for the entire world to see although my husband probably wouldn't be all that thrilled. Men. They simply do NOT understand the thrill of the hunt!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

COOL EQ ! Take a backpack for the friend to carry. Fill it up and if you guys get caught the '' FRIEND '' has the goods , you have the dogs.

We were thinking more along the lines of a little red wagon. Those spikes are heavy!!!!
    --
    If we get caught, we can act blond while offering to redistribute them along the tracks. Sometimes, it's better to just go for it then beg for forgiveness later. I honestly don't even know who I'd contact to ask permission to pick up RR spikes.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --