Home made tools! - Page 10
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Re: Home made tools!

I remember Ernie. Where is he now? It has been so long since those days on usenet. I remember several of the men back then. Mike Graham 'The Metal Mangler', Ernie Lukmeiler, and several others I can't recall. I was poking around on those lists when dial up 36.6 was blazing fast. I can remember when 1200 baud was the thing.

Mike is into wood working and has a great collection of hand tools. He has a blog that he showcases all his work. He has some great stuff there. All his wood working tools are man powered.
    Last edited by Scott Young; 04-10-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Randy Zimmerman was another that was back on the usenet. There were several good men back then that helped alot of folks.

I have a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC mill that I've converted to run with EMC2 and Gecko motor drivers instead of the original obsolete drivers and paper-tape reading control system from 1979.

Between the usual demands of work and school, the conversion took several months. However, after the last big push to finally get it running, I realized that I had never gotten around to ordering a new spanner wrench that the Kwik Switch 200 spindle collar needs to tighten the tool holders.

So I just made one myself with lost foam casting.

I could've spent many hours with my plasma cutter, welder, and grinder and made one entirely out of steel (making a large mess and a lot of noise in the process), but I decided that it would be a lot easier and faster to just whip up a foam pattern and cast it.

(click all images for large view)

Here's the foam pattern (note two pieces of 3/16" steel rod embedded and hot-glued in place):

Normally, I coat my patterns with a thin layer of drywall mud, but this time I decided to go without so I didn't have to wait for it to dry.

Here's the rough aluminum casting after pulling it from the sand:

The clumping of sand around the steel rods is caused by the vaporizing hot-glue gasses escaping into the sand.

The finish would've been much nicer had I used the drywall mud. Most of that roughness is just sand that came off with a wire-brush. A little work with a bastard file made it plenty smooth enough to be comfortable to grip.

I slapped some gray primer on it to make it more closely match the gray of the mill.

The finished wrench:

Here's the wrench next to the locking collar on the spindle of the mill:

The two pieces of steel rod engage one of the vertical slots in the collar so that it can be turned to remove or insert the tool holders.

The aluminum plate in the vice in the above pictures was also cast (lost foam) before being machined, but that's a different project.

Here is a vice I built for my mill table. Very simple parts cut to size from 1/2" thick angle trued up in the lathe. Uses two 3/8" fine thread bolts as the closers by backing them out of the threaded round stock welded on the center angle. The two outside angles are positioned and bolted down pressure applied to part in vice and center angle is bolted down. V blocks are used of clamping round objects.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Everyone seems to have posted their circle cutters. Here's my version

It's made from 1"x1/8" flat stock. The holes are the right size to fit my plasma cutter torch with the shield cup installed. The holes are 1 inch apart. The pins on the ends are 1/2", 1", 3/4" and 1-1/4" away from the nearest hole. By choosing the correct hole and pin combination you can cut radiuses from 1/2" to up over 6" in 1/4" increments (i.e. 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and so on). When using, make a ding with a pointed punch, put the proper pin in the punch mark, Lift the other end slightly to clear the other pins, and rotate it around while cutting. It's small enough to fit in your shirt pocket.

The holes are a little out of line and sloppy. I didn't have the proper sized drill bit to match the shield cap on the torch. I used a smaller bit and wallowed the holes out by hand with a die grinder. I'll probably end up making another one of these where the radiuses aren't nice round numbers in inches, but rather they are the correct radiuses to cut holes and make plugs for standard sized pipe.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Now that's a great idea. It allows you to pivot the torch head on the bar.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Here's an "I-Beam Square"

The square lays over the flanges on the I-beam. The long leg has an angle welded to the underside that can be pressed against the flange to align the tool. The drop down piece lays close against the web. You can then chalk or scribe a cut line down the inside of the flange and across the web.

Another version of this is the "I-beam NON-square"

You use this the same way, but the line you chalk intentionally will not be square to the beam. If I remember correctly this one will give you an angle that is 3:12 slope for a roof.

Notice the corner isn't fully welded. You can cut out and align the parts perfectly, but as soon as you weld it the angle won't be correct or your square won't be square. The easy fix is to apply the BFH. If the angle needs to be 'opened up', just beat on the inside of the weld joint. If the angle needs to be 'closed a little', just beat on the outside of the joint. Once the tool is set to the proper angle, and you take care not to drop it, or throw other tools on top of it, it should stay set for a long time.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Here's a cheap plate clamp for dragging material around the yard. I would not recommend this for lifting.

Slide the slot over your plate, or I-beam web, or center of your c-channel. Give a little pull on the handle to snug it up. Then pull away with a chain through the hole. The harder you pull the harder the cam will tighten up. A little kick or a tap with a hammer will loosen handle to release the clamp.
    Everything is 1/2" plate except the handle which is 1"x1/4" flat. I measured and marked the max and min radiuses on the cam, and then blended between the two by hand using the bench grinder. The weakest point is the small side of the slot. If I were to make this again I would probably make that side of the slot a little thicker. Of course, it been heavily abused and hasn't bent yet.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Here's a tool for marking pipe to be 'fishmouth' cut. I use this in the field after the pipe poles have been concreted in. The fat T-handle is easy to use with gloves.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

This one's not really a welding tool. It's for skinning pigs/deer. It made from some scrap 1" black pipe and 1/2" hr round. Use the bench grinder to point your ends before bending them. It's a little easier than trying to point them afterwards. I originally screwed up and made the thing too long. I didn't discover this until I had a small pig already down and ready to be strung up. A quick application of the cutter and welder fixed it. You'll notice the extra weld joint on either side of the center.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

This one's not a welding tool either, but it's great fun for scaring the poo out of your friends. It's a whistle that runs on compressed air. A LOT of compressed air. You'll need a big line to get full volume out of it. I've run it on a short run of 3/4" pipe directly from a 80 gal tank. It's 3" diameter pipe and probably around 1 foot long

Here's one I made in a hurry to play a joke on my dad. He keeps a long air hose near the door of his shop for filling tires and such. It's made up of a bunch of old hoses with old connectors and it leaks like crazy. So he has is on a ball valve and only turns it on when he needs it. He flips open the ball valve and runs out the hose. I snuck over one day and inserted this whistle in the first connector on his hose. It made from 3/4" emt conduit. I didn't bother taking off the galvanized and it foamed up the weld.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
    Now that's a great idea. It allows you to pivot the torch head on the bar.
    Yeah, make sure you cut counter clockwise circle, otherwise you can unscrew the cap on the torch. I did that one before. $15 in torch consumables went *poof*.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Pretty simple, just a square. 19"x19". I used 5/8"x1 1/2" bar for the sides with a brace in the middle. It's good to get things aligned sqaure and then I can clamp right to the square and weld away.
    IAMAW Local 330
    Airco 300 AC/DC Heliwelder
    Airco Dip-Pak 200 with Profax spool gun
    Powr-Kraft AC225
    Everlast PowerArc 200st
    Buffalo Forge No.21 drill press
    Speedglas 9100xx
    Airco, Oxweld, Purox, Victor torches
    Lincoln Ranger 8

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    Randy Zimmerman was another that was back on the usenet. There were several good men back then that helped alot of folks.
    Wasn't Randy one of the Local #1 Boilermakers? Those guys were a riot....

Up the stack or down the track, Turn it up 10, etc.

Matt

Don't know if this is considered a tool. I made this to bend rebar so I can weld the "U" shapes on stuff for use as lifting rings. For example, on my skid steer box snow plows, I store them on industrial shelving at Yard 1. I store them front side down or with the attachment plate up, and I needed a way to lift them with a chain. I was going to buy weld on "D" rings but I thought of this.

Name:  0417101526.jpg
Views: 40557
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  0417101526a.jpg
Views: 40449
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  0417101526b.jpg
Views: 40466
Size:  132.0 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Don't know if this is considered a tool. I made this to bend rebar so I can weld the "U" shapes on stuff for use as lifting rings. For example, on my skid steer box snow plows, I store them on industrial shelving at Yard 1. I store them front side down or with the attachment plate up, and I needed a way to lift them with a chain. I was going to buy weld on "D" rings but I thought of this.
    Yep! that's a tool. +1

Matt
    Last edited by Matt_Maguire; 04-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.

yep, I'll second that for sure. Got a collection of these in different sizes myself.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

NOT MINE, but hey ya gotta be impressed!

HH187
    Hobart 500i plasma cutter
    Clark 4.5" Grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    10 gallon pressure pot sand blaster
    lots of hand tools

Re: NOT MINE, but hey ya gotta be impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by kenklingerman View Post
    Yep, now that's a tool (I''ll bet NOT FOR SALE). Cheap anyway...

Matt

80amp stick welder made from microwave transformers. Featured on Http://www.aaawelder.com check it out theres other home made goodies

Bench grinder in the works. Made from a washing machine motor, a basketball hoop pole, and a spinning chair base.

The TREX on my deck failed, so I am replacing it; however, a couple of years ago I had a pergola placed on the deck, and I knew this would be a pain. I had to disassemble the railings and lift the pergola off of the deck (about 1 ft), remove the underlying structures (for the pergola, not the deck), replace the trex, then reassemble everything.

In the process I needed a way to undo the bolts from the posts on the railing. I created the following contraption that allowed me to place a socket on the end to reach down through the posts and remove the nuts to disassemble/reassemble the railings. Came in quite handy.

Found the drill wasn't strong enough for me, so I added the handles (looks like a cross now) so that I could torque the nuts back down. Worked perfectly. I was very happy with the results.
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Any one tried making one of these?

Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

I'm going to try it soon, only my first one will not be on wheels, it will slide into my front receiver hitch. I'll post pics.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

yall have some pretty cool ideas

Body-frame hoist

Hi
    Here is a hoist I developed to lift bodies from frames or move frames around the shop.
    I have used to to remove and install bodies or frames on to a rotisserie too. Great to have ina 1 man shop.
    have fun
    Tom